• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
Sounds like dumbing down of teachers. We encourage our young people to go to college and get degrees but we're now supposed to believe that the best teachers are beginners with little experience? And teachers and parents have agreed that there is a turnover problem at Walton's elementary schools. I thought that when you have good people doing a good job, you don't get rid of them and replace them with cheaper employees to save money. Maybe we need a superintendent who is a high school dropout but is a good leader. The requirements for that job doesn't even require a degree.

Well I hope you are not encouraging your young people to go to college to become teachers since you believe that our county is dumbing down teachers by hiring young teachers on annual contracts. I don't know of any teachers who supported the STATE senate bill that our county is required to put into place. It is not a county issue...it is the state. The superintendent has nothing to do with it...like her or not.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Well I hope you are not encouraging your young people to go to college to become teachers since you believe that our county is dumbing down teachers by hiring young teachers on annual contracts. I don't know of any teachers who supported the STATE senate bill that our county is required to put into place. It is not a county issue...it is the state. The superintendent has nothing to do with it...like her or not.
The superintendent is elected to lead our school system as is the board. Part of leadership is advocacy to our state and federal officials regarding steps necessary to improve outcomes in the local district. If the STATE (your emphasis) passed a bill that is bad for Walton County kids, I would hope the super indent would speak up for change instead of placing blame. As to parents of Walton County students, we are well within our rights to want the best for our children and to advocate for it on ant level necessary. We are also within our rights to ask our leaders to join in and cricitize them if we do not. I have noticed that every time someone asks a question or raises an issue about education, eventually a status quo supporter accuses them of being lazy and uninformed. Lastly, all of this stuff about teacher non-renewals does not address the issue. Graduation rates were bad before the law changed and are after. High school FCAT scores are low before and after the law.

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
The superintendent is elected to lead our school system as is the board. Part of leadership is advocacy to our state and federal officials regarding steps necessary to improve outcomes in the local district. If the STATE (your emphasis) passed a bill that is bad for Walton County kids, I would hope the super indent would speak up for change instead of placing blame. As to parents of Walton County students, we are well within our rights to want the best for our children and to advocate for it on ant level necessary. We are also within our rights to ask our leaders to join in and cricitize them if we do not. I have noticed that every time someone asks a question or raises an issue about education, eventually a status quo supporter accuses them of being lazy and uninformed. Lastly, all of this stuff about teacher non-renewals does not address the issue. Graduation rates were bad before the law changed and are after. High school FCAT scores are low before and after the law.

Do you know whether the superintendent in fact did or did not advocate for teachers during the passing of the senate bill? Did you ask her what her stand is on this issue? And as for FCAT rates, that is just a small piece of education. Don't you think authentic learning is much more important than some grade? Remember the day when teachers could teach students, not teach a test. You have lots of concerns....but what are YOU willing to do to help bring change instead of placing blame and pointing fingers? Like I have said in this thread before...if you want change you must be willing to put aside the negative and work together for positive. We have great teachers and schools and we should be proud supports to bring forth a united change for the best interest of students.

Voting ABC

Beach Crab
Sep 23, 2012
The superintendent has been appointed a Board member to the Governor's board. So she can give her input all day, if she wants. When you accept money from the State, there are string attached to that money. The strings goes all the way down to the teachers. The requirements for this money, take time and effort away from the teachers preparing their lessons, dealing with disruptive students, and having to attending meetings during class time. Such money, has our students testing 4 additional times besides all the FCAT takes and retakes. When a teacher is out, a substitute is calling in - these people are warm bodies to "supervise" - they are not degree people taking to fill in for your student's teacher. Asking about DEA testing - this is for all grade levels. The first rounds of testing has just taken place. Our teachers do not have the uninterrupted time, like in the past, to teach our students like you think. If you want to know what is going on in the classroom - volunteer for a week with a teacher.... Walk in their shoes.

Voting ABC

Beach Crab
Sep 23, 2012
I want a superintendent who will visit the schools, not just when we need to "convince" people to vote for the mileage. I have seen Carlene once in 4 years at my school. We have had parents, volunteers, and teachers to talk to her about problems we are having. Letters have been sent to all the board members and her. Do you think she has dones anything to help? NO!!! She denies talking to anyone - they were not "creditable". She denies information delivered by our school board member. We have voice our situation and she continues to do NOTHING!!! Well, I say OUT WITH HER!!!! I want someone who will listen to my concerns as a parents, taxpayers and employee. These last four years have been a joke on Walton County! The new policy for the superintendent is if you screw up, you move up (to the little whitehouse). She is placing people who she has promised jobs to so she will get re-elected. I say NO!!! The north end took care of their job during the last elections - how about South Walton doing your job this election.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Do you know whether the superintendent in fact did or did not advocate for teachers during the passing of the senate bill? Did you ask her what her stand is on this issue? And as for FCAT rates, that is just a small piece of education. Don't you think authentic learning is much more important than some grade? Remember the day when teachers could teach students, not teach a test. You have lots of concerns....but what are YOU willing to do to help bring change instead of placing blame and pointing fingers? Like I have said in this thread before...if you want change you must be willing to put aside the negative and work together for positive. We have great teachers and schools and we should be proud supports to bring forth a united change for the best interest of students.

I am very curious about the board's and Ms. Anderson's positions. My numerous emails and letters have never been answered. Don't presume to gauge my level of involvement based upon your impression of my perceived negativity. You have no idea what efforts I or others have made. You claim our schools are GREAT. Please share with me the metrics that you are using. If I am looking at the wrong ones, I would appreciate your wisdom. I am also curious about the positive change you mention. Based upon your posts, one would assume no change is neccesary, only praise for the best school system ever created.

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
I want a superintendent who will visit the schools, not just when we need to "convince" people to vote for the mileage. I have seen Carlene once in 4 years at my school. We have had parents, volunteers, and teachers to talk to her about problems we are having. Letters have been sent to all the board members and her. Do you think she has dones anything to help? NO!!! She denies talking to anyone - they were not "creditable". She denies information delivered by our school board member. We have voice our situation and she continues to do NOTHING!!! Well, I say OUT WITH HER!!!! I want someone who will listen to my concerns as a parents, taxpayers and employee. These last four years have been a joke on Walton County! The new policy for the superintendent is if you screw up, you move up (to the little whitehouse). She is placing people who she has promised jobs to so she will get re-elected. I say NO!!! The north end took care of their job during the last elections - how about South Walton doing your job this election.

Way to put it out there VOTING ABC! I agree that instead of bickering, and complaining in this forum or anywhere else, we have to move forward and support what is right. Our vote counts! My point has been that change will not happen until people DO something besides complain. We have great teachers and great schools. If people don't agree with how teachers and schools are operating the next thing to do is make a vote that will make a difference. They are bound by district and state policies and until things change at that level, they are just stuck doing what is expected. All this negative energy could be channeled to make positive change.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
MOM. You are putting words in people's mouths.
I believe class size is very important but it has been proven and accepted by educators that teacher effectiveness is the most important factor. It is an item in the forefront of current education research news now.

Also, there are few communities more committed to supporting education of children and especially their teachers than this one.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Your theory is rather interesting....I would think of it more as an opinion. I know my children had the best 1-3 teachers in this district. Teachers who were/are motivated and truly care about the learning outcomes of all students. Teachers who went ABOVE and BEYOND the call of duty. You should not post your negative experiences as FACT.
You chastise others for stating opinion as fact shortly after stating that your children had the "BEST" teachers in the district. Facts are determined based upon empirical data. What empirical data are you using to determine that your children's teachers were the "BEST"? Perhaps the empirical standards you use could be incorporated into teacher evaluations and solve the debate altogether. I asked the question yesterday : are there any teachers in the Walton County system who have secured national certification? If the response is ...that doesn't matter....that is a valid opinion (not fact) and probably implies that none have met the standard and that there is no system in place to encourage it. Regarding your comment about voting...I started this thread and discussed it in my first post. Voting for change has been a constant theme from most of the posters. Glad to see you agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
MOM. You are putting words in people's mouths.
I believe class size is very important but it has been proven and accepted by educators that teacher effectiveness is the most important factor. It is an item in the forefront of current education research news now.

Also, there are few communities more committed to supporting education of children and especially their teachers than this one.

Teresa, I have not put words into anyone's mouth, instead quoted each poster. If you meant to say something different, then perhaps the post should have been written more clearly. I do not disagree that the effectiveness of teachers is one of the most important factors...I do disagree however with those who think that teachers with a Masters degree are more effective and that Walton county should only focus on hiring teachers with higher degrees. I have seen teachers with doctorate degrees be by far the most ineffective of all. Is this always the case, no. But I believe it is very unfair for people to assume that just because one has a masters degree that they are more effective. It is all in how the knowledge of the degree is applied in the classroom to help all students. I think that all these post are running together....if complaining in this forum is supporting education and teachers, then perhaps some may need to reflect on how this is helping....looks like a bashing of teachers and schools to me. I am a proud parent of Walton County and volunteer my time in hopes to help teachers and schools. TOGETHER we can make a difference.