• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
You have no interest in the entire picture, just the side you want to portray. Thanks for the confirmation. :thanks:

Unlike some, I have no reason to hide my name. I have no motive to do so. So, I'm sure you are the most trustworthy with the "facts," being anonymous and all. And really, that last sentence, using insight twice? Tsk, tsk, doesn't work for me. Now, I'm done with the catty and unproductive. Are you?

The last two board meetings have been unusually short. Why? They were Special Meetings, called to approve things like travel for kids and such. They don't do the pledge, or prayer and the meetings are meant to be handled in a quick manner. There were one, maybe two people in the audience. Were you there? They were not the "official board meeting." The board has held one longer meeting at the first of the month, and called three shorter special meetings this month.

The truth of the matter and record is "sometimes they do vote to approve her recommendations and sometimes they don't." Often it's a split vote. The board is designed to approve or deny the superintendent's request, not to be the driving force behind policy as it's discussed in this thread. No matter what the last name of the person who is the superintendent, the board will work in much the same way, because of its design. I'm not sure besides, not hiring teachers or staff or denying kids transport to games, that you think the board denying the last two meeting's requests would accomplish?

Oh, and in the interest of fairness and truth as far as meetings go, I'll be happy to burn a cd for anyone who can't attend the meeting, or email them a mp3 file so they can hear it themselves. Here's the link to the agenda. Anyone can download the packet the board receives and see all the items they see as well as the shorter agenda. http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/board/minutes/copy of Default.aspx

I think it's great that parents are passionate about and involved with their child's education, I applaud all of you.

I attend almost all of these meetings and it takes a great deal of work from many, many teachers and staff to put all of this information together to be presented to the board and I think the board may move back to the two, long-meeting schedule they held for many years in the afternoon. Maybe more people can attend in person and be involved.

My last point is the board and superintendent are all equally elected positions. To suggest the one elected official has some type of sway or hold over five independently elected other officials is in my opinion just not feasible or realistic. The positions were made this way to be balanced and so no one of the six has any more sway than the others. With the newly elected member coming on soon, we may see the dynamic of the board change. It will be interesting to watch and only time will tell.

I'd like to add personally as a property owner and resident that I wish the Superintendent position was not party affiliated. I was not able to vote in the run-off due to being a registered independent the last 15 yrs.

Last edited:

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
You have no interest in the entire picture, just the side you want to portray. Thanks for the confirmation. :thanks:

Unlike some, I have no reason to hide my name. I have no motive to do so. So, I'm sure you are the most trustworthy with the "facts," being anonymous and all. And really, that last sentence, using insight twice? Tsk, tsk, doesn't work for me. Now, I'm done with the catty and unproductive. Are you?

The last two board meetings have been unusually short. Why? They were Special Meetings, called to approve things like travel for kids and such. They don't do the pledge, or prayer and the meetings are meant to be handled in a quick manner. There were one, maybe two people in the audience. Were you there? They were not the "official board meeting." The board has held one longer meeting at the first of the month, and called three shorter special meetings this month.

The truth of the matter and record is "sometimes they do vote to approve her recommendations and sometimes they don't." Often it's a split vote. The board is designed to approve or deny the superintendent's request, not to be the driving force behind policy as it's discussed in this thread. No matter what the last name of the person who is the superintendent, the board will work in much the same way, because of its design. I'm not sure besides, not hiring teachers or staff or denying kids transport to games, that you think the board denying the last two meeting's requests would accomplish?

Oh, and in the interest of fairness and truth as far as meetings go, I'll be happy to burn a cd for anyone who can't attend the meeting, or email them a mp3 file so they can hear it themselves. Here's the link to the agenda. Anyone can download the packet the board receives and see all the items they see as well as the shorter agenda. http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/board/minutes/copy%20of%20Default.aspx

I think it's great that parents are passionate about and involved with their child's education, I applaud all of you.

I attend almost all of these meetings and it takes a great deal of work from many, many teachers and staff to put all of this information together to be presented to the board and I think the board may move back to the two, long-meeting schedule they held for many years in the afternoon. Maybe more people can attend in person and be involved.

My last point is the board and superintendent are all equally elected positions. To suggest the one elected official has some type of sway or hold over five independently elected other officials is in my opinion just not feasible or realistic. The positions were made this way to be balanced and so no one of the six has any more sway than the others. With the newly elected member coming on soon, we may see the dynamic of the board change. It will be interesting to watch and only time will tell.

I'd like to add personally as a property owner and resident that I wish the Superintendent position was not party affiliated. I was not able to vote in the run-off due to being a registered independent the last 15 yrs.

Thanks for finally putting the 'shut to the up' to all those complainers who don't ever seem to have facts.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks for finally putting the 'shut to the up' to all those complainers who don't ever seem to have facts.

Alicia provides good information to the community because she has the inside scoop and she cares. She has never put the shut to the up to anyone as far as I know. Thanks Alicia for sharing your knowledge of the system with all concerned parents. It is rather complicated.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Ha, I don't know what "shut to the up" means..:cool: lol, but it is complicated and a lot of information for everyone to digest. If you go to the link and look through the board packet, people will understand that hashing out everything line by line would mean most meetings would go on through the night. No one's perfect, but it is a system of checks and balances and board members often go a little rogue and vote in unexpected ways over unexpected items.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Alicia, thanks for the thoughts. I agree with you about the superintendent being non-partisan. My particular hope would be that it would be a position appointed by an elected board based upon qualifications. That is not a slam at Ms. Anderson. I just think that there is too much potential for politics to be played out in the current situation. As I understand it, a good number of the counties across the state do it that way. Can we ever get all politics out of the school system? Probably not, but it is at least something that should be considered.

Also, sorry for being catty in an earlier post. You are right. It was unproductive and unnecessary.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I'm used to the Carlene cheerleaders implying that some of us are not being truthful. However, I have several boxes of documents that will cofirm my assertions. And I'm someone who has attended lots of school board meetings. And I'm a parent. My son graduated from South Walton High School in 2010 and he's now a junior at Florida State University so I have concernes about public education. And I think the superintendent should not be an elected position. Since fewer than 1% of school superintendents in the US are elected, I'm not alone in my feelings on that issue. Also, I don't trust any politician who took $6,000 in campaign contributions in 2008 from an individual who was involved in a scheme to get $6 million in public education funds for an airplane hanger. And I'd be happy to join a public forum and I'll bring what I have and others can bring what they have since those of us who feel we need a change are supposed to be liars. I can back up what I say.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Thank you for responding in such a nice way, WP. I don't have a "dog in this fight" as they say, but do hope that parents and kids get the best education and teachers they can in Walton. I am always amazed at the amount of politics in many of our government offices. If I can ever be of service to you, WP, please don't hesitate to reach out.:wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Just heard a snippet on NPR: "... Yes, we need better teachers. But more than that we need better parents.".

Makes sense, even though we already have outstanding teachers. The way they are apparently treated as a contractor, hired by the year, concerns me a great deal. You get what you pay for. Sounds like we are not making the necessary kind of investment that is needed to attract and keep the best of the best teachers.

As for parents, positive & supportive participation in their children's education is everything. Not sure if involvement is truly encouraged by schools these days but it is so important. At every grade level through high school. It is sometimes hard to do with busy lives and jobs. More often than not we get what we give. We have to contribute, participate, have high expectations for education and help achieve them.

Most of you here are involved and that is why you have concerns. And you certainly should. It seems that our education system is undergoing more and more change. But it is sometimes hard to determine whether these changes are for the good or not.