• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Ummm, did I miss something? This change happened about as quietly as the Colts moving from Baltimore to Indianapolis...a flashing sign materialized last night announcing the change. Please, please, please someone tell me this is temporary-I can't fathom sharing so much car intended highway with those golf carts!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Since nobody wants the proposed new and separate path for golf carts, the decision was made to make all of Scenic 30A 25 mph.

(I totally made this up but it sounds about right and will now spread like wildfire)

Or it it is a temporary measure for safety until a pedestrian / bike bridge is built on Western Lake. This is wanted but quite expensive.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
The owners of those hated cart companies in collusion with the TDC and BCC behind closed doors it sounds like to me. Another case of the minority running over the majority with a few well placed dollars. I wonder when the first road rage incident is going to take place? Is it possible to have a local special election and vote on whether these should be allowed in SOWAL?

It is scary to drive across that bridge when there are gaggles of little kids on bicycles crossing it. We always slow down to almost a stop in that situation. As some of you might know, my five-year-old brother was killed by a drunk driver who ran off the road and hit him while we were playing in a friend's front yard.

I'd suggest 25 from Watercolor to the west side of the bridge where the bike path starts back.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Western Lake pedestrian bridge needed to be built years ago. The county and the TDC should split the cost.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
I'd suggest 25 from Watercolor to the west side of the bridge where the bike path starts back.

That's what should have happened.

Instead it is 25mph thru Watercolor, then a yellow signpost just past Watercolor saying 40mph, then the flashing sign saying 25mph, then a 25mph signpost. Stays 25mph across all of Western Lake and down to just before the Starbucks.

25mph from Watercolor to where the bike path starts back would improve safety. But to continue it as 25mph all the way to Starbucks just slows the flow of traffic needlessly.

Do I recall there is some sort of 85% of the flow of traffic speed rule the state requires the County to follow?

C'mon Walton County officials, did a qualified traffic engineer study this before such a bassackwards sign posting?

Last edited:

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
The Western Lake pedestrian bridge needed to be built years ago. The county and the TDC should split the cost.

And instead they want to build a golf cart path to nowhere. Please, please Walton County officials and TDC, wake up and make decisions that are logical for our community...

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Received some information from the county. Was told that the reason for lowering the speed limit was to improve safety with regard to pedestrian/vehicle conflicts, that there are plans for additional provisions for safety in the same area within the next few weeks, and that more information should be available on Monday.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I drove that stretch this morning, and absolutely tried my best to go 25. I could not do it. It is a rural highway with absolutely no intersecting roads nor any other congestion problems. It feels completely safe going 45. If the bicycles on the bridges are the problem, then have over the top warning signs for both the cars and the bicyclers at the bridges. To be going 25 from Watercolor to Grayton is lunacy.