• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
When is the last time you were on 30-A? Do you know what area changed speed limit? And If there was a fatality or even a car versus bike, it was the biggest cover up in recent history. I agree with you about 25MPH from west toe of Western Lake bridge through old Seagrove-east of there to HWY98 I have no problems with the current limits, save for the 25MPH in Alys, but it isn't too annoying.

I have accepted golf carts as a reality that will never go away in Seagrove, Seaside, etc on 30-A-I don't like it, but I can accept it. But I can't see why we need to sell out to tourists who might want to piddle golf carts on rural 30-A. The area you identify as rural is almost wholly similar to a big chunk between Grayton and WaterColor recently transformed into 25MPH!

I'm on 30A everyday, and yes i know exactly where the change took place. also the car versus bike was not on 30A, i'll see if i can find the article, but it was in south walton.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
If there was a fatality or even a car versus bike, it was the biggest cover up in recent history.

not 30A, but still a reminder of what can happen

SANTA ROSA BEACH - An instructor at Georgia Tech died Saturday morning after he was hit by a car while riding his bicycle on U.S. Highway 98 in South Walton County.Kurt Lang Frankel, 33, of Atlanta, was riding his bike east on the shoulder of U.S. 98 when he was struck east of County Road 283...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
What the &@"$ does a bicycle accident on 98 have to do with the impact of golf cart traffic on 30-A? Your credibility is really starting to wear thin.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
So because people were killed riding bikes on a 4 lane highway with speeds of 55 and 65, we lower the speed limit on a 2 lane highway from 40 to 25?

I do think we should have bike paths separate from the roadway on all major roads for safety reasons, and my condolences go out to their families, but let's be realistic. This is all about people wanting to make money off carts and tourists, not concern about safety or improving our community.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Walton County fixed the signage sometime today so that the 25mph zone now extends from Watercolor to just past Western Lake where the bike path veers away from the road. Then speed increases to 45mph. New red reflectors across the narrow stretches and some flexible reflector poles are installed. Thanks to whomever at the County has been listening to our feedback on SoWal.com about this situation...

Last edited:

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
YES, it is all about safety....

So because people were killed riding bikes on a 4 lane highway with speeds of 55 and 65, we lower the speed limit on a 2 lane highway from 40 to 25?

I do think we should have bike paths separate from the roadway on all major roads for safety reasons, and my condolences go out to their families, but let's be realistic. This is all about people wanting to make money off carts and tourists, not concern about safety or improving our community.

Agree again about the absurdity of golf carts on 30-A but you are so wrong in your paranoia about golf carts to turn this into a golf cart issue. It is about the safety of walkers and cyclist ( not the "pro" type) and yes many of these being young children crossing those bridges literally inches away from cars and trucks (not golf carts) usually going faster than 45 mph.

And as to WHY these people would want to do so, it's called EXERCISE on one of the prettiest parts of the bike path. Maybe Jim Bob or Rob Whatever has become so Locatroned that he can't see the beauty of that stretch. Eagles, beaches, lakes... Enjoy the scenery!!! Unfortunately the bad part of it is the bike path
Is now incorporated across two very dangerous bridges. Just trying to make that safer until the pedestrian bridges can be added to the bike path.

Make your "golfer" conspiracy part of another thread. This is really getting to be ridiculous

Augie

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2012
Whatever, you don't just roll in to town loop-hole'n with politicians, and changing speed limits at a wave of the hand. This isn't dumb luck. I know a snake oil salesman when I see one.

Walton County fixed the signage sometime today so that the 25mph zone now extends from Watercolor to just past Western Lake where the bike path veers away from the road. Then speed increases, can't remember if it said 35 or 45mph. New red reflectors across the narrow stretches and some flexible reflector poles are installed. Thanks to whomever at the County has been listening to our feedback on SoWal.com about this situation...
Thanks, Beach Bimmer for the info. And thanks to whoever made this decision.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
It's both.

Agree again about the absurdity of golf carts on 30-A but you are so wrong in your paranoia about golf carts to turn this into a golf cart issue. It is about the safety of walkers and cyclist ( not the "pro" type) and yes many of these being young children crossing those bridges literally inches away from cars and trucks (not golf carts) usually going faster than 45 mph.

And as to WHY these people would want to do so, it's called EXERCISE on one of the prettiest parts of the bike path. Maybe Jim Bob or Rob Whatever has become so Locatroned that he can't see the beauty of that stretch. Eagles, beaches, lakes... Enjoy the scenery!!! Unfortunately the bad part of it is the bike path
Is now incorporated across two very dangerous bridges. Just trying to make that safer until the pedestrian bridges can be added to the bike path.

Make your "golfer" conspiracy part of another thread. This is really getting to be ridiculous

I resemble that statement. :cool: I live here. Drive that stretch all the time. Name's not Jim Bob.

I agree with you, and Kurt, that 30A from Watercolor to Grayton is gorgeous.

Now, is it

grb-western-lake-from-road.jpg
Home_Alone_Boy1.jpg
l.jpg
52-car-pile-up.jpg

gorgeous?

Well, that's a matter of personal interpretation.

I love my commute. And, for like 30 seconds each day, I get to see eagles and beaches, and lakes!

It's still a commute. (I'd rather be doing it on 30-A than 98!)

Last edited:

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
Dumb.....

Whatever, you don't just roll in to town loop-hole'n with politicians, and changing speed limits at a wave of the hand. This isn't dumb luck. I know a snake oil salesman when I see one.

.....is your posting. Whenever someone starts their rant with "Whatever" it tells me they are self absorbed with their own opinion and have very little to offer in an open discussion. You must have been drinking that snake oil in the wee hours of this morning. I'll have to look up " loop-hole'n" in the dictionary. I'm sure its there. Must have been "looped" on the snake oil. I'll put this

one with the others in the conspiracy file. It's about S-A-F-E-T-Y !!!!

And Yes thanks to those with the County for re-adjusting the speed limits but more importantly for making traffic more aware of the pedestrian crossings on the bridges and making that a S-A-F-E-R crossing now.

And if Tom Thumbs is that dangerous an area then by all means DO something about it.