• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Unfortunately, we had to move away from SoWal :sosad: But, we are back quite often for vacation and I realized I don't even know where my dog is allowed. She is a happy Springer Spaniel at about 40 lbs. Are there any friendly outdoor restaurants or bars? Are there tourist dog permits for the beach yet? We did visit the new dog park in Destin- very nice! Thanks! Attached is a pic of my super muddy puppy, Sophie :) Merry Christmas everyone! GRIEVE-XMAS-2012.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the link. http://clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us/new!_dog_beach_permits.html

We sold our previous home in June, so our Pepper hasn't been able to be on the beach since then. We move into our new beach house on Wednesday. So she'll be legal later this week when I have time to pick up a permit for her. Yes, I have her vaccination records with me.

One question I have is the following. Let's say you are walking your dog in Watersound and you want to walk to the Ramsgate beach access. There's a state park in between, and I've heard that dogs aren't allowed in state parks. But can you walk dogs south of the mean high water mark to get them straight from Watersound to Ramsgate?

Depends on what part of the beach you're on. Because our dog hasn't had a beach tag lately, I walk her on the bike path. I wouldn't do that in the summer or during spring break because she might get hurt by a bicyclist and because the asphalt is too hot. There are places on the bike path that have fewer driveways that I feel are safer.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Dogs are allowed in the state parks and also in the state forest. Both require leashes.
Here are the links:
http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/petpolicy.cfm

http://www.floridaforestservice.com/state_forests/point_washington.html#rec

For BR: the state parks pet policy does say no dogs on the beaches, but that stretch of beachfront at Deer Lake is quite narrow. I don't think anyone would bother you if you stayed close to the water and kept moving.

As for the state forest, there are plenty of trails, see the web site. However, I think it is hunting season right now so I would stay close to a trailhead where there will be other walkers this time of the year.

There is also the dog park on J.D. Miller road, which is west of 331 and just north of 98.

Not sure about restaurants but I see dogs at outdoor tables all the time.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Dogs are allowed everywhere on a leash just like any other place except on the beach and in places/restaurants where dogs normally are not allowed. Some outdoor restaurants allow dogs. I have been busted with dog on deer lake beach and Grayton state park. Start park rangers keep a sharp eye out and expect you to follow the rules. You can walk your dog on nature trails in all parks as far as i know. We love the trails through the woods at Eden Gardens, Topsail, and camp Helen.

jnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 25, 2011
Here's the link. http://clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us/new!_dog_beach_permits.html

We sold our previous home in June, so our Pepper hasn't been able to be on the beach since then. We move into our new beach house on Wednesday. So she'll be legal later this week when I have time to pick up a permit for her. Yes, I have her vaccination records with me.

One question I have is the following. Let's say you are walking your dog in Watersound and you want to walk to the Ramsgate beach access. There's a state park in between, and I've heard that dogs aren't allowed in state parks. But can you walk dogs south of the mean high water mark to get them straight from Watersound to Ramsgate?

Dogs are not allowed on the beach in the state park, even south of the high water mark. We used to walk our dogs (who all have beach tags) on the beach from Gulf Trace east towards Grayton, which took us through state park. We did it several times without incident, but then one day we happened to see a forest ranger. He very politely told us dogs were not allowed, even at the water line, and that we would be fined if we did it again. So if you happen to see a ranger while you're cutting through the park, you'll likely get the same speech.

Dogs are not allowed on the beach in the state park, even south of the high water mark. We used to walk our dogs (who all have beach tags) on the beach from Gulf Trace east towards Grayton, which took us through state park. We did it several times without incident, but then one day we happened to see a forest ranger. He very politely told us dogs were not allowed, even at the water line, and that we would be fined if we did it again. So if you happen to see a ranger while you're cutting through the park, you'll likely get the same speech.
Argh.