• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I wish we had engineers that were very experienced working on innovative solutions. It's not that complicated. Most people are turning north to publix and 98 or continuing thought to Seaside. The road through Seaside itself needs some re-engineering.

The first thing that is glaring is that the bike path should be on the south side which would solve half the problems and make it so much safer. Half the congestion there is due to pedestrians and bikes. Move the path to the south side - most of problem solved!!!

IMO it is ludicrous for the bike path to be on the north side. No conversation should start without first stipulating that the bike path is going to be moved to the south side. This would also eliminate the crossover that is east of the intersection. The crossover itself causes problems and is dangerous. Move the path to the south side and the crossover could then be installed at the stop sign in seaside where cars are already stopped.

Ebsco owns the NE corner. The owners of EBSCO have a house on the south side of 30A just east of the intersection. That is why they don't want the bike path on the south side.

The family is also part owners of Viridian Hotel and have always planned to bury the utilities but would have to pay $100,000 to regional utilities for the work. This work should be done at no cost all along 30a but that is another story!

Ebsco is willing to swap some of the corner lot to the county. Swap for what?

Any alteration of the intersection would require burying the utilities - just look at the giant concrete power pole on the NE corner. So a roundabout rewuires burying utilities and EBSCO avoids paying the cost.

Starting to get the picture? A simple turn lane is really all the is needed but that would probably not cause utilitites to be buried and would make it to far a distance for the bike path to cross. A circle means two lanes would need to be crossed which is the way it is now. A turn lane or yield lane that gently curved and made it a smooth running intersection would require 3 lanes.

The best solution for the people is for the county to take most of the vacant lot and install a very large roundabout or a gently curving yield lane! EBSCO gives up enough land to make it happen, with enough land left to add some parking for their hotel and restaurant, the utilities get buried. Move the path to the south side for safety and to alleviate congestion. WIN WIN WIN!!!

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Whose land are they going to build the roundabout on?

A light would be fine. You still "sit and fume" on 30-A, currently during busy times.

I love that video clip. Breaking out the Windows95 Powerpoint.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Who approved and paid for the lights at Rosemary Beach? The traffic lights there seem to work. And there are also lots of bikes and pedestrians.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I remember Rosemary Beach lights were a shock - they weren't really needed but I think the founders wanted to stop traffic. They still aren't really needed except for the fact that they made the intersection overly complicated and big.

The 395 issue is not that big a deal! A west bound turn lane with a little curve and a yield sign will work for now. And it would fit on public right of way. Seems like common sense!
Does anyone disagree?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's a bit more complex than that. I think the turn lane would help only if the bike path was moved to the south side of 30-A, which is a complex issue. My opinion is that if the bike path was moved to the south side, it should not take any more property from the owners of the south side. Many of these owners are the "founding fathers" of Seagrove. All of them took tremendous hits to their property during Ivan and Dennis. They don't deserve to be penalized for the convenience of tourists.

The stretch of 30-A from Cowgirl Kitchen to Seaside should be shifted enough north to put the bike path on south side. Problem solved.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Most of the properties south of 30a are rentals or have been sold and resold Founding fathers of Seagrove are not the issue.

Where is the right-of-way for 30a located? If people planned or built their homes and driveways by infringing on the right of way I don't have sympathy for them.

I am all for moving the path and adding a turn lane, it seems like the easiest and most logical solution.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I own a home at Seagrove Beach. I simply don't understand objections to a traffic light. I can't wait until Memorial Day weekend and the next three months. The traffic will be worse than if they had a three way stop or roundabout at the intersection of 98 and 331. These days when I must go to Seagrove, I often leave and go out heading east on 30a and cut through Camp Creek road to avoid the three way. Whoever proposed and or approved a roundabout are morons! If I were a tourist, I'd avoid Seagrove Beach and find a place on the beach easier to get in and out of.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
I own a home at Seagrove Beach. I simply don't understand objections to a traffic light. I can't wait until Memorial Day weekend and the next three months. The traffic will be worse than if they had a three way stop or roundabout at the intersection of 98 and 331. These days when I must go to Seagrove, I often leave and go out heading east on 30a and cut through Camp Creek road to avoid the three way. Whoever proposed and or approved a roundabout are morons! If I were a tourist, I'd avoid Seagrove Beach and find a place on the beach easier to get in and out of.

Ditto.

The person that posted the link to the video added some very helpful information. Due south of the V Restaurant is a house. East of it is another house that just sold. Then, there are 5 houses in a row that belong to various members of an extended family. Then, the parcel north of 30-A from those 5 houses is owned by a family company run by the same family as the houses south of 30-A. Coincidentally, that is the company doing Alys Beach. They also own the NE corner lot at 395 and 30-A. They want a stop sign, and they are willing to give up a lot of land to do it.

A roundabout is dumb. Ain't nobody got time for that! I like Europe as much as the next guy. But, people from Atlanta don't know how to drive on a roundabout.

If there is a traffic light, it can go to blinking yellow and blinking red in the winter, and late nights.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
BeachRob, did you catch the bit when the traffic engineer stated the roundabout will eventually fail as we approach build out and a light will be required then anyway?

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
BeachRob, did you catch the bit when the traffic engineer stated the roundabout will eventually fail as we approach build out and a light will be required then anyway?

Yeah. I heard that.

I also am still puzzled how a traffic light is $400,000 more expensive than a roundabout. It doesn't cost half a million dollars to put in a traffic light. And the Stephens/Dixons are basically gifting the land.

I was a little troubled by the way our council member handled the situation. I feel we need to be a little more composed; especially if we are going to be the "enlightened" part of the county.