• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This is a major change to causeway design.

From WZEP:

331 Bridge, Walton Could See Refund

Walton County could see money returned and the loan for the county’s share of the 331 bridge project could be paid off quicker. This means the half cent sales tax could go away sooner. The design build second bridge should have the contract agreement announcement on June 25.

If the Florida Department of Transportation finds cost savings with the bid for the project, money should be returned. Ian Satter, Public Information Officer for the FDOT says District Three has always said they would look for cost savings and return any money not needed back to the county. This would be applied to the loan.

Walton was asked to contribute $75 million to the bridge project. The commissioners faced a choice of not providing the money, allowing a toll or finding a way to pay the amount. After a public vote, a half cent sales tax was added to pay the $75 million loan plus fees. The loan agreement allows for early payback. The exact time can not be set due to the unknown economic factors with sales and how much tax will be brought in each year. The expectation is the payback would be 8 to 15 years. If money is returned, the payback time would be shortened.

The FDOT has reduced the construction costs by using a causeway design. This means a shore to shore bridge is no longer required. The park and boat ramps will be rebuilt. The second bridge will go on the east side, the side where a previous bridge was. The design build allows for the project to move faster since some of the design aspects can be completed while construction starts.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
That's good news - I guess since there is already a causeway there then they decided another wasn't going to matter.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Is there room? Seems like it would at least need to be expanded. Also elevated to prevent wash over.

I know the discussion at some of the county commission meetings was that all or almost all of the existing causeway would be used with the new construction, so the park would have to go under the bridge, no longer room for it to the side. They are supposed to award a contract on June 25 to one of the bidders to design and build the project, so we should know more about the configuration then. Maybe someone else knows more, though.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I know the discussion at some of the county commission meetings was that all or almost all of the existing causeway would be used with the new construction, so the park would have to go under the bridge, no longer room for it to the side. They are supposed to award a contract on June 25 to one of the bidders to design and build the project, so we should know more about the configuration then. Maybe someone else knows more, though.

Thanks so much! Any talk of increasing the height?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
As reported by WZEP AM 1460:

Walton To Get $50 Million Back

Florida Department of Transportation District 3 Secretary Barfield came to Walton with some good news, money. With bids for the new second Clyde B. Wells bridge coming in lower than expected, the savings will be passed back to Walton and that means the recently added half cent sales tax will go away quicker.

Barfield told commissioners he was excited to present the results of the second bridge with a low bid of just under $119m. They expect to start proceeding in August. The hope is to have the bridge built by the end of summer 2016. Barfield said this depends on weather. The second bridge is a design build project. Barfield said they do not have a design yet and they expect changes to the project. Money is being held back for any unanticipated needs.

The amount of contribution from Walton changed from $75m to $25m. Barfield said his goal is to give all the bid savings to Walton County. He said they were very comfortable in releasing the $50m. Commissioner Comander thanked him, saying she had been involved in the project since 1975. Commissioner Imfeld also thanked the FDOT for following through with their promise to return any savings. The $50 million should come back within 30 days. He told the commissioner she might have it hand delivered. The cost the half cent sales tax is paying for is not just the money for the bridge, but also the fees and interest. The ordinance creating the additional half cent sales tax requires the money to only be used for the county’s share of the project and the tax has to be removed when the loan is paid off.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
They also said another $7 million may be returned after contracts are signed. As for building to the Alabama line, 1 I would hope that a funding source would be found before hand and a better cost estimate would be had before we end up doing this again. I think it would be great to widen it just not sure I would appreciate the way this one was done and I supported the bridge and tax over the toll.