• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Here's something useful. NC State did a statistical study of American linguistic tendencies, and plotted them on a US map.

Here is "Roundabout":

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-m...s-in-america-2013-6#so-are-traffic-circles-13

Here is "Highway":

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-m...e-west-coast-is-really-into-their-freeways-18

Notice how light the Roundabout map is. One of the responses is "I have no word for this." Memphis/Tupelo/Huntsville is distinctly green. The rest of our feeder markets have light shaded blue or red because there was no clear response between the 3 replies.

They say the eskimos have 50 words for snow. I'd be willing to bet there were no words for snow in Caribbean indigenous languages. Which culture would you say is better at building an igloo?

There... I fixed it.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Com Meadows seems to have come to the same conclusion as many of us on this thread:

At the May 14th meeting, the Commission voted to reject the proposal put forth by Commissioner Meadows deleting the round-a-bout at CR395 & 30A. Pridgen, Commander and Imfeld voted to proceed with the round-a-bout at that intersection, with Chapman absent. Com. Meadows proposed an alternate plan that would have included turn lanes on the east side of CR 30A and would have deleted the round-a-bout. Her plan was voted down. Work on the $1 million plus intersection will most likely proceed after Labor Day.

It has been brought to my attention by Cliff Knauer, P.E., Preble-Rish, that the funds expended on the CR 30A/395 intersection are $30,000; funds which would have to be spent anyway according to Knauer:
None of the funds for the engineering and construction have been expended.
No permits have been submitted.
Ebsco has not signed any agreements to date.

The Sheriff agreed that he could perform traffic control at the intersection (he does so at 331 & 98 at times) In fact, he said they would be willing to help in any way possible.

Based on the above factors we ask the BCC to reconsider the round-a-bout and phase the intersection improvements to include a right turn lane on the east side of 30A and place a traffic officer during peak hours. Cliff Knauer said the round-a-bout plans were conceptual in nature and no final plans have been approved.

You can subscribe to her newsletter at http://eepurl.com/uBVYD

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
It seems like a turn lane is too simple and too inexpensive and too good of an idea for most of our commission to agree.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Saturday, 9:30 AM - Traffic on 30a - westbound was backed up to Balance with slowing traffic starting at Tom Thumb. Tourists leaving dodge and trying to go north on 395. Why can't county assign a deputy to direct traffic at this intersection on week-ends during the summer? Is this too much much for their little minds to grasp, or more likely they never have to experience this disaster because they do not live here( out of sight out of mind ). Disgusted with their lack of interest in the problems associated with tourists except the money they can collect.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think they are (rightly) more focused on emergency flooding and washed out roads today.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I think they are (rightly) more focused on emergency flooding and washed out roads today.

So what's their excuse (or yours) for the other 99% of the time? I don't believe they can't spare one person for part of a shift one day a week during high season.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So what's their excuse (or yours) for the other 99% of the time? I don't believe they can't spare one person for part of a shift one day a week during high season.
267-2000, try that, your voice on the other end of the line might be the first step to addressing that problem...

ottomatik

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
Seagrove
They should add 2 more roads or escape routes thru the park to 98. One in Watercolor & another around Deer Lake Park.
Also change side walks or bike path to the Southside of 30A.This way pedestrians and bikers would not be holding up 395 traffic

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
No more roads! Keep SoWal Scenic! Take down signs, bury utilities, fix existing stuff.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
267-2000, try that, your voice on the other end of the line might be the first step to addressing that problem...

Tried that - no results. In another post I called about the panhandling at 30a/395 last Saturday. Said they would check it out and the officer would call me. No results/call back again. The gov't here, including Sheriff's, don't take residents seriously - only care about tourists and the dollar. Their decision on a roundabout at this intersection is just another example of their tone-deafness.