• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Think this is an excellent idea! Can't wait until they are in place!

Thanks! Regular updates are currently being posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/SouthWaltonArtificialReefAssociation

Hopefully NRDA funding (administered thru FWC) for artificial reef modules will see structures going into the water between late 2014 and early 2015!

Please spread the word that "liking" the SWARA facebook page, in this case, carries weight! The "likes" prove public support to the govt. agencies and other sources of grant funding.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
30A would be more cost effective. :D

With 9 40acre fish/diving patches requiring hundreds of reef structure deployments (after the 4 snorkel reefs), the need for SWARA memberships & financial contributions will provide ample opportunities for all to be involved!

but Hey! far be it from SWARA to squelch a nice, stimulating, community bidding bonanza! :funn:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
The first map shows two large area reef sites inside State waters off SOWAL. Are these permitted or in the permitting process ? If so there are quite a few folks who would contribute time, money and materials for reefs........ especially if the county can be brought on board to do inspections as is done in our sourrounding counties
Let me know please

Capt Larry
Deadfish

Capt. Larry,
Short answer: Not yet.

Long answer: There are some funds set aside for a portion of the permitting costs for 'LAARS A'. Guidance from FWC, FDEP, and USACOE recommended that this particular permit be submitted after the 13 nearshore permit applications, because LAARS (Large Area Artificial Reef Site) permitting is a significantly more complex, costly, and time consuming process.

Upcoming NRDA / FWC ph.3 funds distribution is limited to structure deployment on "in-play permits". Imminent deadlines had to be met in order for Walton County to be eligible for these deployment $. This is why the 13 nearshore permit apps were prioritized.

You and the other folks involvement and assistance is needed, valued, and appreciated!
Please stay in contact!

Note: As required by law, the county is involved in every process. In fact, SWARA currently has an official, long term (10year?) "Walton County Artificial Reef Plan" being drafted for adoption. Among other things, this plan will include inspection & monitoring requirements as well as education & awareness initiatives.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Do you know something I don't know? :blink: :lol:

What's the cost?

Oh you made me snort-laff!
That post did come off sounding kinda 'not so good' didn't it?! :blush:

I meant: a publicly named reef structure with an attached plaque commemorating SoWal.com for generations to come. But you knew that didn't you ;-) ?

Stay tuned... will come back with the price!

As a general FYI (not to be taken personally): we are advised that human remains, by law, are not to be interred within 3 miles of the shoreline.

Last edited: