• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
New corporate developments are being very effective in promotional marketing.

Their high priced marketing agencies should be congratulated.

"Back lot" properties that advertise "easy access" to Grayton Park and a "few minutes to beach" sound attractive to many naive buyers.

In fact these developments are miles from the beach and will require owners to get into a car or golf cart and battle traffic.

They will have to drive to crowded beach accesses with inadequate parking. If they go to Grayton Beach park whey will have to pay admission.

In the evening they will again have to fight traffic to restaurants and need a designated driver to get them home safely.

These new "back lot " houses are built on land of much less value than lots that are actually walkable to beaches and restaurants.

The new houses are very enticing with their"up to date" all stainless steel kitchens ( omly orth about $6k-and granite counter tops.

Developers also throw in a few thousand dollars for closing costs.

Real estate agents get incentives to refer clients to the developers.

This sugar coating distracts the unwary buyer from the importance of a location that is a convenient walkable distance to beach.

In Seagrove Beach there are some less promoted good values that are actually walking distance to beach.

This would include any properties with in 1/4 mile of beach from Eastern Lake to Seaside. This would include such hidden neighborhoods as Grove By the Sea, Sugarwood Beach, Cassine Village, and Dalton Subdivision.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
At first I thought you meant properties north of 98. I'm sure the same tactics will be used. Pretty soon being south of the bay will be the hot ticket.

"Homes in the high $300's" - have been seeing this a lot lately which shows a definitie shift in - the market.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
At first I thought you meant properties north of 98. I'm sure the same tactics will be used. Pretty soon being south of the bay will be the hot ticket. "Homes in the high $300's" - have been seeing this a lot lately which shows a definitie shift in - the market.
So how much increase has there been for South of 30A properties? Especially BMB, and sanctuary at the Sea and sanctuary at redfish which both basically have Private ( very low beach numbers uncrowded)Gulf beaches?

jhanes

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2009
Lebanon, TN
As far as I know, Sanctuary at Redfish does NOT have a beach! They use beachfront owned by the big house at the end of Redfish a Lake.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Check the property appraiser, that beach is simply titled beach and does not list an owner. Hurry and find a shady title company you could own the beach!

geezer392002

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2010
homes in the high 300's

At first I thought you meant properties north of 98. I'm sure the same tactics will be used. Pretty soon being south of the bay will be the hot ticket.

"Homes in the high $300's" - have been seeing this a lot lately which shows a definitie shift in - the market.

Hi Mike,

We own a condo at Seacrest Beach and are considering selling and buying one of the "Homes in the high 300's" you mention at Watersound Origins.
I am reading a lot of cautionary advice concerning St Joe and that is one of their latest
developments. St Joe is waiving joining fees for their Beach club at Watersound which seems like a good deal. We currently rent our condo out during the season but we are getting tired of all the hassles associated with renting and are attracted to the single family bungalow style homes in Origins.
Do you have an opinion on the Origins development or other St Joe home developments in the area?

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Hi Mike,

We own a condo at Seacrest Beach and are considering selling and buying one of the "Homes in the high 300's" you mention at Watersound Origins.
I am reading a lot of cautionary advice concerning St Joe and that is one of their latest
developments. St Joe is waiving joining fees for their Beach club at Watersound which seems like a good deal. We currently rent our condo out during the season but we are getting tired of all the hassles associated with renting and are attracted to the single family bungalow style homes in Origins.
Do you have an opinion on the Origins development or other St Joe home developments in the area?

St. Joe has a lot of positives - their communities and amenities are first rate and done right. I am very thankful they have enough land to keep big buffers and protect lakes, dunes and wetlands.They aslo do a lot for the general community through their foundation and helping to build schools and hospitals.

Origins is very nice and so are the homes. As for the stuff on paper and deals and such I have no knowledge. Anyone making such big omelet is going to break some eggs. I know some folks have been unhappy with changes in the past regarding the beach club. Just go in with your eyes wide open and have a real estate attorney on your side. Good advice for any transaction.

chicagosanfran

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2013
I live in Watersound West Beach and have been very pleased thus far, however i did not join the beach club, it was 10k when i bought my house and now they are giving it away for free with Origin home purchase, i think Origins would be a good buy especially getting the beach club for free along with golf courses, the Huffs build a great home, i only get compliments, and would recommend them as builders to everyone, they have a foreman named Johnny, absolutely hands down the best foreman on 98 and 30a. I think Origins will be great, you just have to get use to living with construction around you.

geezer392002

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2010
St. Joe has a lot of positives - their communities and amenities are first rate and done right. I am very thankful they have enough land to keep big buffers and protect lakes, dunes and wetlands.They aslo do a lot for the general community through their foundation and helping to build schools and hospitals.

Origins is very nice and so are the homes. As for the stuff on paper and deals and such I have no knowledge. Anyone making such big omelet is going to break some eggs. I know some folks have been unhappy with changes in the past regarding the beach club. Just go in with your eyes wide open and have a real estate attorney on your side. Good advice for any transaction.

Mike,
Thanks so much for your comments and advice, I will certainly retain an attorney which is something I had not thought of and much wiser than putting all our trust in a Realtor or the developer.