• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
They sent invitations out. Every forum invited participants. Maybe we could have shown up and insisted on speaking, but it was arrogant of them to treat us differently.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
You don't need an invitation to a public forum

You certainly do if you want to know time format, and other details, at least a response from multiple contact attempts.

The groups I had contact and knowledge of our participation in wereThe Rotary, South Walton Republican Club, Walton Democratic Women, and the Walton County Education Association - all communicated with us and were organized. The North Walton Republicans was a show-up-and-fly by-the-seat-of-our-pants kind of thing, and it was one of the weirdest public meetings I have ever participated in, especially the end where all candidates lined up in the front of the room like they were facing a firing squad, only to have "ranters" rant instead of asking thoughtful questions in a respectful way. Trust me when I say the other forums did not go like that one!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The North Walton Republicans was a show-up-and-fly by-the-seat-of-our-pants kind of thing, and it was one of the weirdest public meetings I have ever participated in, especially the end where all candidates lined up in the front of the room like they were facing a firing squad, only to have "ranters" rant instead of asking thoughtful questions in a respectful way.

Look at it's leader! You obviously do not know Gordon Porter's history in this county.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
They sent invitations out. Every forum invited participants. Maybe we could have shown up and insisted on speaking, but it was arrogant of them to treat us differently.

Agreed!! But, "that's how they do things round here".

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Look at it's leader! You obviously do not know Gordon Porter's history in this county.

Oh I do now, and I don't see Walton County being a player economically except in the tourist industry, or academically- we will never be much better than we currently are as long as the politics of the past continue to dominate. Sad, but true.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
And just so you know rapunzel, I did offer to get involved early on when I was totally inclined to vote yes. jdarg and I had corresponded privately via msgs here. Once Bob Hudson got involved she promptly quit msging me back and any questions or responses I asked/made were promptly taken as a personal character assassination on her part.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Oh I do now, and I don't see Walton County being a player economically except in the tourist industry, or academically- we will never be much better than we currently are as long as the politics of the past continue to dominate. Sad, but true.

And AGAIN jdarg, I don't disagree with you. I know how it works here and I tried to talk to you but you promptly quit answering my msgs and didn't appear to care to know what you were in for.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Misty, whether you like the board members or not is immaterial. They are not lieing. Since both the superintendent and the board are elected, the superintendent, who conducts day-to-day operations and decisions and has no fear of reprisal from the SB, can use that ability to do whatever she/he wants. That is exactly what has happened in Walton County. Rapunzel spelled the present situation out very well. It boils down to one elected official being able to ignore the wishes of five other elected ones. Personally, I am really glad I do not have children, grand children or great grand children attending school in Walton County. The administration is able to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants and however it want with complete impunity and that's a travesty.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, whether you like the board members or not is immaterial. They are not lieing. Since both the superintendent and the board are elected, the superintendent, who conducts day-to-day operations and decisions and has no fear of reprisal from the SB, can use that ability to do whatever she/he wants. That is exactly what has happened in Walton County. Rapunzel spelled the present situation out very well. It boils down to one elected official being able to ignore the wishes of five other elected ones. Personally, I am really glad I do not have children, grand children or great grand children attending school in Walton County. The administration is able to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants and however it want with complete impunity and that's a travesty.

And 5 others could have gone to the Gov. for her bull**** and didn't Andy, so don't even go there!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
And for what-ever- its-worth, I wasn't disagreeing with rapunzel. Liking or disliking them isn't really relevant but when I vote I expect my vote to mean something and want the board to do its job, not go along to get along.

Those I do dislike are almost criminal in many aspects and I think people in general (not singling out anyone here who voted for them) are just downright stupid to continue to vote for them year after year, after year. As jdarg said;
we will never be much better than we currently are as long as the politics of the past continue to dominate.