• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I truly hope that lingering bitterness over the elected/appointed superintendent vote does not get in the way of choosing the best qualified person to fill the job for the next term. Both of these ladies are fine people and deserve to be judged on their relative merits instead of who they are related to. As the old saying goes, you can choose your friends but family is what it is. As far as "good ole boys" this has almost become a code word denigrating any long-term resident of this county. If you have lived in an area for several years and have carried on business there, you are going to have connections with other people. These connections do not mean you cannot judge issues fairly. Or that you will not carry out the duties you were elected to perform to the best of your ability.

Last edited:

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Opinions are always subjective, but I know several teachers that don't speak very highly Jennifer Nick. As far as seeing her at Nick's on the bay, my personal experience was not positive. She was not friendly at all, in fact she was arrogant and rude. Her husband is definitely part of the good ole boy club. For anyone who did not see it, he ran an ad in the paper to inform everyone his wife was not the Nick that became the new teachers union president, and left out the part that new union president is his sister-in-law. I know none of this is relevant to qualifications, but it does with character, which is also important. Electing a Superintendent with qualifications any less than a Phd, and experience in educational administration, is a big part of what is wrong with the Walton Count School System. It's highly unlikely there will be a highly qualified leader for Superintendent in this county with the elected selection system. That's why the majority of schools districts throughout the country hire their Superintendent. But enough ranting, we've got what we got, hopefully some better choices will come forward, but I will not vote for Jennifer Nick.

Last edited:

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Code words abound in Walton County.

The other code words are "I'm a 5 generation resident" of Walton County.

Seems just as prevalent as "good ole boys" to me.

Some of the clowns running for office claim to have family ties in Walton County predating the landing of Ponce de Leon at St. Augustine.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
This may be a little off point but I recall seeing a life size photograph of some guy in the back of the School board room with the caption "It's Miller's way or the Highway". Who is/was this Miller dude? Was he a superintendent?