• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
At tonight's County Commission meeting, some people showed up thinking that the hotel was on the agenda. The county commission chairman announced that this was a Planning Commission item and he had been told that it would be delayed to the Jan. 8 Planning Commission meeting. However I think the Planning Commission has to vote on Dec. 11 to officially delay the proposal.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I didn't see this posted yet, but here's a petition you can sign if you do not want the Hampton Inn to be on 30A. You can also pass this link onto your friends who are not on SoWal.com:

Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/protect-30a-from-proposed?source=s.fwd&r_by=12027827

The petition says:

That's why I signed a petition to Bill Chapman, District 1 Commissioner, Cecilia Jones, District 2 Commissioner, Bill Imfeld, District 3 Commissioner, Chair, Sara Comande, District 4 Commissioner, Vice Chair, Cindy Meadows, District 5 Commissioner, and Carrie Thiemann, which says:

"William "Bill" Chapman, District 1 Commissioner
9446 Rock Hill Road
Ponce de Leon, FL 32455
Office (850) 835-4860
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Dear Commissioner Meadows,

I am writing with great concern over the proposed Hampton Inn development in Seagrove. I am truly shocked that this project would be considered as it goes against the heart of 30A—it’s non-commercial appeal and preservation of beautifully unique neighborhoods. Introducing a chain hotel would change the face of 30A for its residents, friends and visitors of 30A alike.

30A has set itself apart due to its high values and insight from our Planning Commission and County Commissioners. I know that you very well understand the importance of this as you are a leader with great vision, a champion in neighborhood preservation and were instrumental in designating 30 A as a Florida Scenic Highway.

In closing, I stress that I believe approval of this project would be detrimental to our area. Please do not approve the proposed Hampton Inn development in Seagrove!

Thank you!
"

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I didn't see this posted yet, but here's a petition you can sign if you do not want the Hampton Inn to be on 30A. You can also pass this link onto your friends who are not on SoWal.com:

Ethan posted it on post #53 but that's Ok it's probably good to post it again.

smithwjhg

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2010
Inlet Beach
www.wjhg.com
Where were you Chris?

It was not me... it was our SoWal reporter, Cristina. She stopped by pretty much every business from One Seagrove to Watersound and no one would publicly comment.

The reporter on this story Wed/Thu is Meg Rose. Her email is meg.rose@wjhg.com if anyone wants to reach out to her and comment.

--Chris

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
At tonight's County Commission meeting, some people showed up thinking that the hotel was on the agenda. The county commission chairman announced that this was a Planning Commission item and he had been told that it would be delayed to the Jan. 8 Planning Commission meeting. However I think the Planning Commission has to vote on Dec. 11 to officially delay the proposal.

Maybe it's just me (not paying enough attention), but it seems like a lot of these more controversial projects seem to be brought up to the Boards around Christmas time, when people are very pre-occupied, or January, when very few people are here, to voice opposing opinions, or are still distracted by post-Christmas bills and football. Is this just coincidence? And who will give a damn about a petition that was signed "last year"?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
] Tell Christina to attend the meeting on Thursday. She will get plenty of people to talk on camera. Stopping in businesses and asking opinions of people who might be employees and not business owners was probably not going to get results- smart employees won't comment if they don't know their employers' views on the subject.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
] Tell Christina to attend the meeting on Thursday. She will get plenty of people to talk on camera. Stopping in businesses and asking opinions of people who might be employees and not business owners was probably not going to get results- smart employees won't comment if they don't know their employers' views on the subject.

A reporter's best friend is Happy Hour.

Bdarg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Point Washington
Maybe it's just me (not paying enough attention), but it seems like a lot of these more controversial projects seem to be brought up to the Boards around Christmas time, when people are very pre-occupied, or January, when very few people are here, to voice opposing opinions, or are still distracted by post-Christmas bills and football. Is this just coincidence? And who will give a damn about a petition that was signed "last year"?

Yes, you are correct. The holiday season is always the best time to slip under the radar. That is an often exploited trick at multiple levels public, and as an extra benefit if things go south, the holidays minimize the gossip circuit.