• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Red Iris

Beach Crab
Feb 19, 2014
Why be concerned about a commercial establishment. 30A will not stay the same forever. Anyone who thinks that is just dreaming. Think of the town you grew up in...Is it exactly the same today as it was when you lived there?

Red Iris

Beach Crab
Feb 19, 2014
Would you rather the Atlanta elite just keep building 12,000 sq.ft. homes everywhere? They will eventually build their own little paradise for themselves and eliminate all public beach access. Don't believe that will happen? Just go to Ponte Vedra Beach and try to find a public beach access or parking anywhere. Money can buy a beach.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Why be concerned about a commercial establishment. 30A will not stay the same forever. Anyone who thinks that is just dreaming. Think of the town you grew up in...Is it exactly the same today as it was when you lived there?

Would you rather the Atlanta elite just keep building 12,000 sq.ft. homes everywhere? They will eventually build their own little paradise for themselves and eliminate all public beach access. Don't believe that will happen? Just go to Ponte Vedra Beach and try to find a public beach access or parking anywhere. Money can buy a beach.

It's not about preserving 30A in a bottle, it's about preserving the character and uniqueness of the area. You can do that and have development, responsible development has always been welcome on 30A.

30A isn't anything like Ponte Vedra Beach, how many state parks are in that area? Did the residents/second home owners actively pursue public parking and beach accesses as we do here? I doubt it.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Yes, you are correct. The holiday season is always the best time to slip under the radar. That is an often exploited trick at multiple levels public, and as an extra benefit if things go south, the holidays minimize the gossip circuit.

Wasn't the "Curve" in Scenic 98, that provided for Destiny By The Sea, constructed in one day, Christmas Eve or Christmas day?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I didn't see this posted yet, but here's a petition you can sign if you do not want the Hampton Inn to be on 30A. You can also pass this link onto your friends who are not on SoWal.com:

Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/protect-30a-from-proposed?source=s.fwd&r_by=12027827

The petition says:

That's why I signed a petition to Bill Chapman, District 1 Commissioner, Cecilia Jones, District 2 Commissioner, Bill Imfeld, District 3 Commissioner, Chair, Sara Comande, District 4 Commissioner, Vice Chair, Cindy Meadows, District 5 Commissioner, and Carrie Thiemann, which says:

"William "Bill" Chapman, District 1 Commissioner
9446 Rock Hill Road
Ponce de Leon, FL 32455
Office (850) 835-4860
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Dear Commissioner Meadows,

I am writing with great concern over the proposed Hampton Inn development in Seagrove. I am truly shocked that this project would be considered as it goes against the heart of 30A—it’s non-commercial appeal and preservation of beautifully unique neighborhoods. Introducing a chain hotel would change the face of 30A for its residents, friends and visitors of 30A alike.

30A has set itself apart due to its high values and insight from our Planning Commission and County Commissioners. I know that you very well understand the importance of this as you are a leader with great vision, a champion in neighborhood preservation and were instrumental in designating 30 A as a Florida Scenic Highway.

In closing, I stress that I believe approval of this project would be detrimental to our area. Please do not approve the proposed Hampton Inn development in Seagrove!

Thank you!
"

I just saw that this morning. I didn't scroll to page two of this discussion board when I posted the petition and I only saw the discussion on page 1. So, I guess it was useful to post it again anyway in case anyone else didn't see it. Anyone can send the link to others invested in the beauty, safety, and uniqueness (and avoidance of chains as much as possible) along 30A.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I just saw that this morning. I didn't scroll to page two of this discussion board when I posted the petition and I only saw the discussion on page 1. So, I guess it was useful to post it again anyway in case anyone else didn't see it. Anyone can send the link to others invested in the beauty, safety, and uniqueness (and avoidance of chains as much as possible) along 30A.

First, although I signed the petition, we can't object solely based on "it doesn't fit the look or ideology of 30a" . Bottom line it is potentially going to cause flooding problems with a dune lake and a neighborhood that already floods because of their lack of a retention pond and a built up foundation and parking field. That particular area is at the speed reduction zone, so more traffic entering an already slow 30a. These are the reasons that they veto, not because we don't like the look.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/civicalerts.aspx?AID=1031

PUBLIC NOTICE: Planning Commission Potential Hampton Inn Development Item Rescheduled for January 8

The following Planning Item in regard to the development of a potential Hampton Inn has been rescheduled for the January 8th Planning Meeting.

Re-Design of Chateau 30A - Project number 14-00100167 is being reviewed by Brian Underwood. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc., requesting approval to develop a 44,205 square foot, 90-room limited lodging hotel and a 660 square foot retail space on a 2.4-acre parcel with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located on East CR 30A north of Williams Street and is identified by parcel number(s) 24-3S-19-25030-000-0021.

The rescheduling of the items was done so at the request of the developer.
The January 8th Planning Commission Meeting will be held at 5:00pm in the South Walton Annex Board Room located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
You can't compare Fair Hope to 30A.

I agree, Fairhope is a stunningly beautiful city with a vibrant downtown area, parks, tree lined streets and a thriving art community. There is a water front park and a 1400 ft. public pier with a marina and restaurant. The park has a rose garden and fountain, plus picnic tables, pavilion, duck pond, tree trail, and a large sandy beach and parking. There are also bluff top parks along the bay. In 2007, Fairhope was named the second best small town in the south by Southern Living magazine.

I agree, Fairhope is a stunningly beautiful city with a vibrant downtown area, parks, tree lined streets and a thriving art community. There is a water front park and a 1400 ft. public pier with a marina and restaurant. The park has a rose garden and fountain, plus picnic tables, pavilion, duck pond, tree trail, and a large sandy beach and parking. There are also bluff top parks along the bay. In 2007, Fairhope was named the second best small town in the south by Southern Living magazine.
If you look at Google earth, the difference between Fair Hope's Hampton Inn and the one proposed in Seagrove is that the former is surrounded by a commercial area and totally compatibile with that area. Not so for the proposed Seagrove Hampton Inn.

Last edited:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
From Walton County Public Information:

PUBLIC NOTICE

The following Planning Item in regard to the development of a potential Hampton Inn has been rescheduled for the January 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Planning Meeting.

Re-Design of Chateau 30A - Project number 14-00100167 is being reviewed by Brian Underwood. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc., requesting approval to develop a 44,205 square foot, 90-room limited lodging hotel and a 660 square foot retail space on a 2.4-acre parcel with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located on East CR 30A north of Williams Street and is identified by parcel number(s) 24-3S-19-25030-000-0021.

The rescheduling of the items was done so at the request of the developer.

The January 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Planning Commission Meeting will be held at 5:00pm in the South Walton Annex Board Room located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.