• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bear in mind one man's abuse may be an other man's enjoyment. Are you saying "one man's enjoyment" has not rights as well? He is certainly not present on your property.
Andy
Would care to explain these comments, as they seem to contradict your stance on the Hampton Inn.

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
Are you saying "one man's enjoyment" has not rights as well? He is certainly not present on your property.

Andy, keep in mind the topic is "Commercial noise and light pollution". And loud noise is an environmental pollution just the same as any other pollutant. Your narrow view is that loud noise from one property does not carry to multiple properties where those property owners right to the peaceful use of their properties are violated by loud noise from your property. The instances of the wedding houses and loud bars that have loud amplified sound are good examples of this topic. If you really believe or thought out what you said you are taking the self indulgent position that we find in several places along 30- A today. In essence your position does not show any regard for your neighbors.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Oh, on the contrary, I have plenty of regard for my neighbors and their rights. I also have regard for businesses who have met all the desired prerequisites to do business in a given area. I don't know where you live or how noise arrives at your abode. I live on 30A across from three bars, all of which have music on occasion and numerous businesses. The other side of the coin. May I suggest you look into making your residence sound proof and light proof if that is your desire and not put the effort off on law abiding bussinesses

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
On 30a there are many businesses that are adjacent to residential neighborhoods . In some areas the noise and light polution negatively impacts the quality of life.

Businesses and neighborhoods have and will continue to co exist.

Are businesses doing all that can be done reasonaly to shield adjoining neighborhoods from noise and light polution?

There are easiy installed sound barriers available that can contain noise from exhaust fans and AC condensers . There are also sound walls that can protect residents from parking lot and delivery noise.

There are also light fixtures available that can shield light and direct downward. This can be observed in the Watercolor Publix parking lot.

With the availablity of such equipment why do so many residents have to contiue to suffer with noise and sound pollution on 30A?

I think it all comes down to "who was there first?" If you chose to build a residence next to a loud, well lighted business ..not much you can do...but if a loud, well lighted business moves into your neighborhood you have every right to complain to the zoning/planning folks..not that it will do much good in this county as evidenced by last nights meeting regarding the Hampton Inn.

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
Oh, on the contrary, I have plenty of regard for my neighbors and their rights. I also have regard for businesses who have met all the desired prerequisites to do business in a given area. I don't know where you live or how noise arrives at your abode. I live on 30A across from three bars, all of which have music on occasion and numerous businesses. The other side of the coin. May I suggest you look into making your residence sound proof and light proof if that is your desire and not put the effort off on law abiding bussinesses

Have no problem with law abiding businesses. The problem is with those that hide their avarice behind the law while totally disrespecting their neighbors. The laws regarding loud noise are changing and more is to come. I believe I will spend my efforts on those changes.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
acousticpanel1.jpg

The attached picture shows roof top mechanicals before and after installation of accoustic enclosure barriers.

The problem with a roof top noise source is that it projects the noise polution over a wide area which neighbors can not shield themselves from.

The church did not install this noise shielding as result of any legal action. The church felt it was the neighborly and "Christian" thing to do.

roger that

Beach Comber
Jan 26, 2015
You are correct in that noise and light pollution...

Agree completely. Noise ordinances need to be tought and easy to enforce. The sentiment has to be on the side of residents, not tourists. That starts at the top which means the voters have to put pressure on the elected, including sheriff.

Light pollution is often overlooked. Not only does it degrade adjacent properties but as development builds we lose our night sky. A tragedy too many people don't care about.

It comes down to people wanting to protect quality of life and speaking out about it at meetings and writing letters.

... is about quality of life. In fact the two current Noise Ordinances 2003-09 and 2014-16 state as their purpose " The purpose of this Ordinance is to prevent, prohibit, and provide for the abatement of excessive noise, within all unincorporated areas of Walton County, in order to protect the health, safety, welfare and quality of life of the people of this county".

The noise Ordinance 2003-09 was believed to be inadequate regarding the enforcemenbt of loud noise disturbances. The BCC on July 8, 2014 passed unanimously the additional Noise Ordinance 2014-16 with full support and concurrence of the County Attorney and theWalton County Sheriffs Office along with Code Enforcement.

The 2003-09 Noise Ordinance remains in effect and waddresses loud noises such as daytime construction noises, pool pump noises, etc. where the decibel meters of Code Enforcement works better in those situations.

The 2014-16 Noise ordinance per the County Attorney representative at the BCC meeting where the Ordinance was approved was designed to combat very loud noise disturbances that impact people in their homes. These loud disturbances would generally be those resulting from parties, amplified music, etc. but could result from other noise issues. Both the WCSO andCode Enforcement arenow able to issue citations under this Ordinance. However, only the WCSO would be able to make an arrest under this Ordinance.

Both ordinances are enforceable 24 hours per day though as a practical matter, the WCSO would be the entity most likely responding to most nighttime noises as these most likley would be after Code Enforement hours. New to Ordinance 2014-16 is that a criminal offense under this ordinance can occur between the hours of 10:00p.m. and 6:00a.m. per the County Attorney representative.

These ordinances are a step forward to address those abusing parties that continue to disrespect other's quality of life.

The people of Walton County should take advantage of these Ordinances when loud noise disturbances are negatively impacting their quality of life.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This hearkens back to the noise ordinance from a few years back.
Yes...there was a decibel threshold established
Yes...the WCSO and code enforcement were supposed to enforce it
No...nobody knew how to take accurate level readings resulting in erroneous issues both ways
No...it was not clearly enforced and in many cases over enforced without meter proof.

It was a mess that finally just went away.

I'm all about the chicken and the egg thing, though. It boils down to who was there first. It's just like people who buy homes next to busy airports and then beeatch about the noise. Sorry...the airport was there. You came later knowing it was there. Too bad so sad.

If the offending establishment was there first and operates legally within prescribed limits, then, it's not much of a case and comes down to trying to work it out with the business that has no legal obligation to change a thing if they don't want to. I think a lot of businesses want to be good stewards of 30A, but it may take congenial conversations to make that happen.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Will B raises a good point that seems to permeate most of Walton County's problems = ENFORCEMENT.

Where are those noise meters Sheriff Mike?

roger that

Beach Comber
Jan 26, 2015
Enforcement certainly has ben an issue.....

Will B raises a good point that seems to permeate most of Walton County's problems = ENFORCEMENT.

Where are those noise meters Sheriff Mike?

.... particularly when it came to Code Enforcement's ability to utilize the noise meters which really were a dismal failure. That is one of the reasons the BCC passed the additional Noise Ordinance 2014-16 which deals primarily with loud noise such as amplified sound. Under 2014-16 a noise meter is not required for enforcement. The replying officer whether it be Code Enforcement or most likley the WCSO can rely on their natural ear to determine if the offending party is in violation.