• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
The beaches are not the only thing in SOWAL..but they are what creates the $$ that could be a little more evenly distributed. I have lived bayside of 98 for 30 years...on a dirt road until just a few years ago..my kids went to school in a building built in 1938. We only got an elementary school when it was determined to be so costly to repair the existing one, the high school was built only after the outrage from Freeport getting a brand new high school (but to save $$ we had to use the leftover plans from Freeport HS). I might add that SWHS opened over capacity while FHS was well under. There are many more shortcomings when it comes to how money is doled out to SOWAL..How long do you think the bridges along 30A would be tolerated in NOWAL? The condition of 30A in general is horrible, but all you see is a road crew throwing some asphalt in the holes and moving on. And while the north funded the south long before the south became a tax base entity of its own ..they really didnt have to fund a lot..up until the mid 90s,I would have to call a minimum of 6 times before they would even come GRADE the dirt road I lived on. It was so bad that we had to move from our home and rent in Seagrove while I was pregnant because emergency vehicles couldnt promise they could get to me should something happen. Bay Drive?? can anyone tell me when the last time it was resurfaced was? I could go on and on...but this entire post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.....

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Would you moochers north of the bay please stop persecuting us SoWallers? Where's Bugs when you need him?
hqdefault.jpg

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
Would you moochers north of the bay please stop persecuting us SoWallers? Where's Bugs when you need him?

I was stuck in traffic yesterday in Paxton because they are redoing 331. I spent my time wisely though, I scouted mountain homes in Lakewood. With that high elevation and King's Lake, it is kind of our own little Lake Como. I plan on splitting time this summer between Seagrove and the mountains. Our taxes dollars are at work up there!

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I was stuck in traffic yesterday in Paxton because they are redoing 331. I spent my time wisely though, I scouted mountain homes in Lakewood. With that high elevation and King's Lake, it is kind of our own little Lake Como. I plan on splitting time this summer between Seagrove and the mountains. Our taxes dollars are at work up there!

I had to stop using 331 when traveling north, every time I passed thru Paxton my ears would pop.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
This thread pretty much sums up the problem that effects just about every issue in this county. The "I want mine and to ____ with the rest of ya" attitude. We do not need peeing contests over what funds have been collected from where and for how long. We need to find solutions to problems and create opportunities for everyone. I do not live on 30-A, never have and never will. But that does not mean that I do not want to find solutions for the issues that the area faces. Every time I am required to drive that road I am upset. I cannot imagine how upset I would be if I did live there because traffic is always a nightmare. It is clear that leaders in the past dropped the ball and that the lack of vision and planning has created a quagmire that does not lend itself to easy, clear cut fixes. But it is not good enough to just lament about the problems and the past. Solutions that we can afford must be found and it will take everyone working together to find those solutions.

The same can be said for the lack of economic development in the "mountains" of Nowal. The simple truth is that those in the south who wish to cut the percentage of total county revenue collected from the south should be the biggest cheerleaders for economic development in the north. The revenue needed is only going to climb and the south property values will probably rise as well. But generating more revenue in the north reduces the need to collect so much from the south and either leads to reduced taxes or increased infrastructure and services.

Bottom line is that as far as economic development, what is good for the south is generally good for the north and vice versa. Those who are always agitating for a north vs south war are only screwing all of us.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
I guess I don't understand the worry about taxation in regard to raising funds for infrastructure and services if incorporating. Given the record breaking tourism rates, why not add a higher nightly room rate tourism tax and call it a day. No one is going to stop coming on their beloved 30a vacations over a few percentage points higher on the bill. And then the permanent local (minority) population is not left financing alone the core benefits to sustain a community whose majority population is actually transient. My in-laws lived in a beach community where locals enjoyed an amazing city rec center and other community amenities that were financed largely by tourism dollars. Property taxes were kept low and the sense of community among long-term residents seemed stronger than SoWal as we don't have any central community building places like a city rec center.

I like Teresa's comment re: territory proposed being south of the bridge. Given the millions that have gone into branding 30A/South Walton (<-- edited to add South Walton since I wasn't referring to the highway or website so much as the broader zip code area) as a cohesive community/destination south of the bridge, any zoning that shreds that to pieces seems at odds with the current brand and mentality. We live bayside/north of 98 and consider ourselves "South Walton" and moved to the area because of the lack of chains and the zoning in place to limit high rises... we didn't fully realize that the county wasn't more cohesive in planning and execution until we became permanent residents and started witnessing in the economic downturn how large plots of land were going to national developers with questionable construction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
If I am doing the math correctly SoWal is getting back the amount of tax money we pay in. As for adding a tax to the nightly room rate I am not sure that is possible. I think that is what the TDC does and those funds are used for specific purposes by law. As I understand it, if incorporation was to occur I suppose funding SoWal with a sales tax is possible, PCB does it. Bob Hudson do you know what the breakdown on a 1 cent sales tax is collected in Sowal?

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
And I agree with Teresa re: territory proposed being south of the bridge. Given the millions that have gone into branding 30A as a cohesive community/destination south of the bridge, any zoning that shreds that to pieces seems at odds with the current brand and mentality.

Area South of the Bay is not 30A, it is South Walton - millions have gone into branding "South Walton" - not 30A. 30A is a road (and a brand by a "carpetbagger"). Walton County extends well past Sandestin into Miramar Beach. Which many people think is Destin.

It'd be interesting to do a poll and see if folks in Miramar Beach would rather be part of Destin or a new SoWal city. Sandestin wants to be left alone and not be taxed any more.

Mack Bayou to Inlet Beach makes sense as a community.