• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I think Bob Wells is right about one thing. My post have gone from being middle of the road to downright mean. Teresa, pushed me into a corner by challenging me to take a stand one way or the other on the flag issue. It normally takes a lot for me to get myself backed into a corner but I did and I came out swinging. I am not proud of it. I want to apologize to Teresa and the others who I feel were calling me a racist but maybe I am wrong. At least if we ever find ourselves in the same fox hole you know you can depend on me to fight until the end. Otherwise I am a pretty easy going person who would rather try and find common ground. The End...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I try not to tell people where to live or how to live their lives. I try not to fly "my flag" over everyone's courthouse. Bob's right: you got the decision you wanted from the BCC. A man with a little less arrogance, probably would have sat down and shut up.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

NOT on government property.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
A Recent poll from Wikipedia shows much the same attitude,. A 2011 Pew Research Center poll revealed that 30% of Americans have a "negative reaction" when "they see the Confederate flag displayed." According to the same poll, 9% of Americans have a positive reaction. A majority (58%) have no reaction.

In a national survey in 2015 across all races, 57% of Americans had the opinion that the Confederate flag represented Southern pride rather than racism. A similar poll in 2000 had a nearly identical result of 59%.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Will somebody please define "Southern Heritage" or "southern pride" for me. I've been a southerner my entire life, but I don't get it, especially used in the context of the Confederate flag. Please enlighten me.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Jensky, CNN did a poll on how people view the confederate flag and there are several others as well.

They run pretty much neck and neck from a similar poll done in 2000

So, guess again.

I said "the world" - sadly, many Americans think their opinion is the only one that matters. The confederate flag is used in Germany by white supremacists who can't legally fly a sawatika. Ask a European what the flag means.

And in America, opinions have changed very fast recently in case you hadn't noticed.

The more you defend the flag the worse you look. Defending the flag in this moment is like defending segregation / arpartheid. Like it or not, the flag is now toxic.

"It would be like having the swastika flag flying on your next-door neighbor," said Whoopi Goldberg, on ABC's The View on Monday. "If [the Confederate flag] continues to fly, the statement that’s being made … is that ‘We miss this really crappy part of history.'"

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
I think Bob Wells is right about one thing. My post have gone from being middle of the road to downright mean. Teresa, pushed me into a corner by challenging me to take a stand one way or the other on the flag issue. It normally takes a lot for me to get myself backed into a corner but I did and I came out swinging. I am not proud of it. I want to apologize to Teresa and the others who I feel were calling me a racist but maybe I am wrong. At least if we ever find ourselves in the same fox hole you know you can depend on me to fight until the end. Otherwise I am a pretty easy going person who would rather try and find common ground. The End...

I don't care what you believe but flying the flag is just not smart and certainly not nice. Why poop on African Americans (and caucasoids) who are offended by it? Why on government property? Makes no sense. If you're so hot to defend it, and offend others who don't like it, you may need a long hard look in the mirror, and possibly counseling.

As for your apology to Teresa, you can do better than that. Do you walk into people's houses and pee on their carpet, flip em the bird, and mumble "sorry" when you stop on your way out and crap in their yard? She does more every day for our community than you could do in a year. At the risk of being banned, I'll say you've been acting like a real buckhole.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yeah, nothing smacks of "southern heritage" like a treasonist armed rebellion defending the states right to own slaves that led to the deaths of 640,000 Americans. Yep, those were the good old days.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

NOT on government property.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Jensky, CNN did a poll on how people view the confederate flag and there are several others as well.

They run pretty much neck and neck from a similar poll done in 2000

So, guess again.

~The same poll also said that 55% of the people polled said they thought that the Confederate flag should not be flown on public property. You aren't doing your cause any favors by cherry picking. Try telling the whole truth.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I said "the world" - sadly, many Americans think their opinion is the only one that matters. The confederate flag is used in Germany by white supremacists who can't legally fly a sawatika. Ask a European what the flag means.

And in America, opinions have changed very fast recently in case you hadn't noticed.

The more you defend the flag the worse you look. Defending the flag in this moment is like defending segregation / arpartheid. Like it or not, the flag is now toxic.

The world includes people who have flown planes into the Twin Towers, people who have beheaded Americans simply because they could, people who burn and trample the U.S flag, have murdered thousands of US soldiers and smuggled drugs into our country so, I am sure I couldn't be bothered by their views.... I did however find several countries, including Italy, Brazil, Sweden, Germany, Northern Ireland and the Ukraine that don't have issues with it.

Those polls I did mention from the US...were done in July 2015.

I have not defended the flag. Don't own one and don't care where it's flown! What I have defended are people who I know personally who wave it proudly, their right to protest and peacefully assemble, to have their grievances heard and the States Right to decide whether it stays or goes. I have also defended those same individuals from verbal attacks of racism, bigotry and hatred by a few folks who didn't get their way. If that makes me look bad, just imagine how it makes those of you who have used those terms look.