• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
mputnal says
"Again, our entire American Government was founded with those same "wrong" ideals. Many of our founders owned slaves and felt that way about the negro. It was a different era and thank the heavens that we have changed for the better. The problem with this thread and many of the posters is that we have confused history with our modern day emotions AND/OR politics. Many people in South Walton want to succeed from North Walton because they want to self govern themselves. It is a fact that there are few African Americans in South Walton (less than 115) with no emotion or politics to increase the numbers. If it is "wrong" to fly the Confederate Flag then it is also "wrong" to allow (or at least not make a stink about) the fact that African Americans are not part of the South Walton Culture. Most of us supporting the flag was okay with things pretty much. Now we are sharply divided. Who is to blame? Was it an agenda or is it pure respect and sympathy for the African American. Sure is hard to prove the respect and sympathy while living in a "paradise" with less than 1% African Americans. God Bless us ALL, Jdarg!"

Worth repeating, there is no one guarding, preventing, checking the color of your skin at any points of entries into Walton County and especially south Walton entry ways, the 331 bridge, or either the Bay County line or the Okaloosa County line. I think you are continuing the symphony you call your own voice. I hear what you are saying but you have taken up another extreme point of view because there are only a small minority of Black people who live in SoWal. I personally oppose the flag for one reason and one reason only, because of those on the extremes who use it as their symbol, nothing to do with the history, nothing to do with who served what side, nothing to do with someone else point of view. I personally don't think it should fly over any government property. You want to wear it, fly it on your car or truck, fly it in front of your business, that is your choice. My opinion

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Bob, I completely agree with you. No one is "preventing" anyone from coming to our community and I am taking an "extreme" view. Since I feel the Confederate Flag represents Southern History, Southern Heritage and the fallen Confederate Soldiers who fought with such heart for his land and family (without shoes, proper clothes, proper meals, using his own weapon, against much greater numbers and against superior weaponry) then I believe it justifies the argument of "agenda" or "modern day emotions" (I use this phrase instead of more inflammatory words). I took the exact same position as yourself until I recognized the hypocrisy and misinformation coming from the other extreme side of this issue. And maybe you are right and I am matching those that argue against the Confederate Flag toot for toot! This is mputnal3 as my views are no longer welcome under that name.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Bob, If you go back an read these post you will find that many on the other side are desecrating the Confederate Soldier. Now that the commissioners made their decision they are desecrating the local government and any "person" who supports the Confederate Flag as a memorial to those who fought and died for their land and family. So, enough is enough and I choose to fight back with a very relevant and obvious (however extreme it might be) fact of demographics which punches holes in their obvious agenda. I do understand that some on this other side are genuinely sincere about respecting the African American but they have joined a crowd that is desecrating anything associated with southern conservatism, southern history, southern pride, confederate history and ALL poor people anywhere (rural, less educated, drives pick up trucks, etc). I happen to find their desecration as offensive, oppressive, racist, prejudiced and very wrong. I have tried several times to stay out of this because of all the BS but then I see how they start ganging up on those who support the confederate flag. I do not know what you mean by "symphony you call your own voice". Everyone including you has opinions and expresses those opinions through a chorus of words. Do you think my strong opinions have purpose or just to hear my own voice? If it is the later then we need to spend more time together so that we really know one another. mputnal3

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Actually, I think its very relevant. The NAACP tried to hold a press conference on private property which turned into a protest of the Confederate flag flying on public land in Walton County. Were the armchair QB's (jdarg, yourself, Teresa, LOTB, Cuff, the Uhlfelders, LVT, and/or others) who have supported the removal of that flag, the NAACP and local black folks at that ridiculous protest? If not...why not??

If the issue is so important to you and you want the BCC to concede to your demands why wouldn't you show up to support the people who support your views?

How many of you will be there on Hwy 98 when the NAACP comes back to demonstrate?

How many of you will stop the "persecution" of the poor pitiful blacks who tried to stage a protest on private property?

I didn't know that a press conference was planned to discuss the flag issue in Walton County until I read the news covering the unfortunate incident where they were not allowed in a parking lot - found it roped off - come on, that was just unnecessary and a bad move by The Market Shops (not a part of Sandestin Resort). It wasn't a protest but a press conference from the news reports I read. I would definitely love to be there to show my support and why not?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Teresa, where did you get the idea that it was a "press conference". It was planned demonstration or protest by the NAACP. It is now obvious that their agenda is more than whether or not the Confederate Flag should be flying over government property. I believe that they wanted to protest in South Walton because they understand that they are not represented in South Walton at all (less than 1%). I am sure they want much more than the removal of the Confederate Flag. Please do not insult them.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
In case anyone missed the news report on the scheduled press conference:

An NAACP press conference to decry Walton County’s continued flying of a Confederate flag turned into an angry protest Friday against actions taken by Sandestin and a next door business.The about face came when NAACP members couldn’t park, as planned, at the Market Shops, a retail center just west of the main gate at Sandestin’s southern entrance.

NAACP members were further perplexed when they were informed they could not pass through the gates into Sandestin to either find a place to park or proceed to the Hilton, where they intended to hold the press conference.“I am extremely surprised they would stop us from having a press conference,” said Dale Landry, the NAACP’s vice president for the Northwest Florida Region.

“We’re coming back and we’re coming back in numbers,” Landry declared, standing on a sidewalk running past the Market Shops and speaking over traffic on busy U.S. Highway 98.A news release said the press conference would be used to call for the removal of Confederate flags being flown in several North Florida locations.NAACP representatives had come to Sandestin, some from as far away as Tallahassee.

Walton County is a focal point thanks to its July 28 decision to remove the infamous Stars and Bars battle flag from a memorial on the county courthouse lawn, but replace it with the first national flag of the Confederate States of America...

MORE: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/20150814/NEWS/150819418

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
My goodness. I understand that they used those words but make no mistake about this, they plan on protesting a whole lot more than about the Confederate Flag being on government property. Otherwise they would have planned this at the courthouse where the Confederate Flag is flying. If the National NAACP deems this as an opportunity to advance a much bigger agenda then they will have a "press conference" and it will be to advance the notion that we owe them something. The confederate flag issue is a small part of that something.

Here is the definition of "press conference".

press con·fer·ence
noun
noun: press conference; plural noun: press conferences; noun: pressconference; plural noun: pressconferences
  1. an interview given to journalists by a prominent person in order to make an announcement or answer questions.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I didn't know that a press conference was planned to discuss the flag issue in Walton County until I read the news covering the unfortunate incident where they were not allowed in a parking lot - found it roped off - come on, that was just unnecessary and a bad move by The Market Shops (not a part of Sandestin Resort). It wasn't a protest but a press conference from the news reports I read. I would definitely love to be there to show my support and why not?

First of all Teresa the Shops at Sandestin and the parking spaces provided are there for the patrons of the market shops and are private property! That aside, the market is undergoing renovations and Friday was a scheduled day of maintenance and landscaping. People were told that if they parked in the cordoned off areas their vehicles would be towed and rather than accept what they were told, they became indignant over not being allowed to park on PRIVATE PROPERTY and the" peaceful press conference opposing the confederate flag" became a hostile environment created by the NAACP!! By the NAACP's own admission they were prepared for a (real or imagined) hostile environment. What they don't admit is that they created it!!

Dale Landry (the president of the Tallahassee NAACP) also said he would ask his "leaders" for permission to "take matters up a notch" by boycotting Walton County to now include Sandestin. Those types of threats did not work when they attended the BCC meeting and made them, they didn't work at the hostile protest they created on Friday and chances are greater that if they show their proverbial a$$es again, it won't work for them any better than it has previously.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Misty, You and I know that Teresa read the entire story about the landscaping and maintenance but she chose to reprint just one side of the story. She has done this throughout this thread. You are correct. This was planned and created by the NAACP because they desire to have a National Audience. They believe that they now have the sympathy to advance a much bigger agenda than just removing the Confederate Flag. If you are on the side of removing the Confederate Flag you are soon to be a part of a much larger agenda including increasing the business opportunities of African Americans in South Walton. mputnal3