• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
our first time to visit in September.
Arrived Sunday. Crowds left by Monday.
No one here today.
Flies, jelly fish, spotty rain, flies, humidity, flies.
We have gotten our 1-2 hour bike ride in both mornings.
No oysters at Great Southern Sunday -ran out.
Love the tree canopy west and east of 395. At the corner of Live Oak and Grove, huge home being built. Tree canopy gone. Totally changed the lovely intersection.
Found the Southern/Coastal Living house being refurbished. I get both magazines so I can't remember which.
Shopped at Modica 3 times so far.
Had wine, baquette, salad, 1 chocolate dessert at Wine Bar/Watercolor. (We try to park for the whole visit, only riding our bikes or walking.). Very nice service and food as always. (HH 11-6, 1/2 caraffe wine for price of glass of wine.)
Cowgirl kitchen had the Heartbreak sanwich for breakfast this morning. Pimento cheese, bacon, biscuit. Only on vacation or tailgating.
Heading to adult pool. Won't be any jellyfish. Maybe the flies won't bother us in the water:)
Go Cards, see you in October (first time) to bundle with another football trip. Florida State. Hope their fans are as nice as Aurburn fans were:)
Ellen

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
The flies seemed to come out early this year. I don't remember them being around in August/early September in the past. You can get Cactus Juice spray at Seacrest Sundries, Amazon.com, and maybe elsewhere on/near 30A for your future trips. We used it to keep the flies away when we were there a few weeks ago and it worked great. It worked so well that I bought small containers of it on Amazon (as well as the sprays we bought at Seacrest Sundries) to put in my carry-on bag when we travel.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Good to know. We'll buy some next month - and hopefully won't have to use it:) I'll add it to my travel list. I know it's been mentioned before on these threads. Shorter trip this time and adjusted.
The flies seemed to come out early this year. I don't remember them being around in August/early September in the past. You can get Cactus Juice spray at Seacrest Sundries, Amazon.com, and maybe elsewhere on/near 30A for your future trips. We used it to keep the flies away when we were there a few weeks ago and it worked great. It worked so well that I bought small containers of it on Amazon (as well as the sprays we bought at Seacrest Sundries) to put in my carry-on bag when we travel.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Those little black biting flies can come out any old time during the year but they do seem to make an appearance more in late summer, early fall. North wind brings 'em down to the beach. I will not even try to go to the beach when they are out. I didn't realize they could be repelled - good to know.