• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Something to consider going forward, and this is just a small piece of the larger initiative:

Have any of you ever been to Hilton Head Island, SC? When you drive around there you notice that all structures along the main roads are behind a certain amount of native brush and trees. I don't know the exact dcription of what this is, but it is impressive and allows for businesses to be there and the island's roadways still be appealing. For example, it's difficult to find WalMart there because it's hidden behind trees and there's no real signage.

What is name or description of this way that HHI allows signage, setbacks, etc?

I would very much like to see this happen definitely on 30a and the North/South feeder roads, and hopefully on 98 if "South Walton" includes 98 within its boundaries.

Here is a Google Street View in Hilton Head that shows how they do it. Notice the businesses behind the trees. This shot is very near WalMart. I believe it would be worthwhile for the local group A Better South Walton to actually visit Hilton Head Island for ideas on this. Thoughts?

Google Maps

Sun Chaser, very good points. It seems that here, our commissioners just don't give a rat's ass what 'stuff' looks like. I went to Kennesaw Georgia a few weeks ago and couldn't help but notice how manicured every street, shopping center, etc. looked, and plenty of trees! Then get back here to our 'resort' area and weeds are 2 foot tall in the median, the sidewalks that do exist aren't maintained, our neighborhoods on the north side of 98...crappy road work, nowhere on the bay to play. There is simply no foresight at all. This community could be oh so nice and appealing. Unfortunately, it's all about the beach here and people are sticking up signs there, too. Sometimes I want to move.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
For some reason public works turns a blind eye to privately purchased and installed no parking signs. The people dumb enough to do this even use the old out dated ordinance # that only applied in Inlet Beach.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
For some reason public works turns a blind eye to privately purchased and installed no parking signs. The people dumb enough to do this even use the old out dated ordinance # that only applied in Inlet Beach.
Why is this allowed? Isn't it illegal?