• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I question the timing and motivation, seems like a cheap political move at first glance. The sponsor has been in office 11 years and never had a problem with the Smith statue until now. But, if you want to rotate the statues or honor someone who had more impact on Florida's history then go for it.
It would also be fair to ask how many of our fellow Floridians who are suddenly so concerned about the statue's preservation were even aware it existed until now.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I had no clue about the statue. That doesn't mean it should be removed. At least the General is getting some attention via this news story. I am very interested in finding out more about this General turned professor. History is fascinating with or without a statue. I don't know why the statue should be moved frankly. Someone decided he should be honored as one of two allowed statues at the US Capitol. I don't see a problem with changing out statues but with very serious consideration, and not because it's a confederate memorial which is a huge part of our history . . . Seems like there are more important issues..

Last edited:

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
It makes no difference to me if it stays or goes. I just believe the sponsor has a good argument for removing it and those who wish for it to remain need something better than "it's just always been there."

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I feel like there might be more important and pressing issues for a US Congressman to be occupying his time with.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
I'm sure the statue along with the Confederate flags have been major contributors to climate change.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I hadn't seen the statues in decades, so I just looked at it online. Far more famous and impressive figures are the norm, so I can understand why they want to change the statue. The other statue is Gorrie (the guy who invented air conditioning), so slim pickings may be why Smith was chosen. Aside from Osceola, I can't think of a Florida candidate with the same national fame level as most of the other statues. Founding Fathers, Presidents, and trailblazers seems to be the norm. The person has to be dead, a resident of the state represented, and have been "illustrious for their historic renown or for distinguished civic or military services".

Don't think it is an anti-Confederacy issue, as Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and several others who served in the Confederacy are statues. Alabama just changed one of its statues from Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry to Helen Keller in 2009. Guessing that Keller being their choice for the quarter in 2003 had something to do with the change.

The National Statuary Hall Collection | Architect of the Capitol | United States Capitol

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I hadn't seen the statues in decades, so I just looked at it online. Far more famous and impressive figures are the norm, so I can understand why they want to change the statue. The other statue is Gorrie (the guy who invented air conditioning), so slim pickings may be why Smith was chosen. Aside from Osceola, I can't think of a Florida candidate with the same national fame level as most of the other statues. Founding Fathers, Presidents, and trailblazers seems to be the norm. The person has to be dead, a resident of the state represented, and have been "illustrious for their historic renown or for distinguished civic or military services".

Don't think it is an anti-Confederacy issue, as Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and several others who served in the Confederacy are statues. Alabama just changed one of its statues from Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry to Helen Keller in 2009. Guessing that Keller being their choice for the quarter in 2003 had something to do with the change.

The National Statuary Hall Collection | Architect of the Capitol | United States Capitol

Thanks for the info. I wonder how often these statues are changed out in general, and it will be interesting to see who Florida will propose as a replacement.