• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Autigr89

Beach Comber
Aug 13, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Hey ECMS is a great school. My son went there, and loved it. He went to ECMS in the 8th grade after moving from KY to FL. He adopted very well, and was received by all the faculty at the school. Then he attended Seacoast for 9th grade. This high school managed by Seaside charter is a very good school with talented students! Seacoast is very focused, and in most cased your student will receive a 2 yr degree once complete. The problems came when I let my son go to SWHS in January of last year. SWHS just like so many has problems write me and I will share some issues.

MarkCY

Beach Crab
Dec 31, 2015
Watercolor
Hey ECMS is a great school. My son went there, and loved it. He went to ECMS in the 8th grade after moving from KY to FL. He adopted very well, and was received by all the faculty at the school. Then he attended Seacoast for 9th grade. This high school managed by Seaside charter is a very good school with talented students! Seacoast is very focused, and in most cased your student will receive a 2 yr degree once complete. The problems came when I let my son go to SWHS in January of last year. SWHS just like so many has problems write me and I will share some issues.

We are also looking to move to sowal. We have a son going into 9th grade and would very much like feedback on Swhs. It would be good to hear from other parents that have a child at Swhs or recently attended.

Last edited by a moderator:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
If you can afford the Private or Charter route, take it.

If not, find an honest and open parent that is in tune with the school you are looking at and seek info.

Our schools are not "bad", but they do have challenges.

The beach and vacation culture here leads to a high level of drug use, much never discussed outside of school walls and its admin.

The SW H.S. has also had significant Bullying issues that most never make it to public consumption.

If the school you're looking at has a SRO (sheriff's officer), assigned, ask to speak with them, one on one, outside of prying ears and eyes of school staff.

MarkCY

Beach Crab
Dec 31, 2015
Watercolor
Thanks For the feedback John. It's amazing how difficult it can be to get feedback on something so important as your child's potential new school. Honestly, we love the area and what it has to offer us but the school options may have us postpone our move until our son is done with high school.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
You are welcome. Walton County is a very interesting place.

I hope you'll continue to browse this site and read some of the interesting topics under the local government forum.

This area is an enigma at times and recently, more and more new residents are taking interest in the many challenges we as residents face.

We do have wonderful beaches, no doubt there. We spend millions to tell be what to me is obvious.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for bringing a poorly managed, most times laughable, County government into the modern area where Accountability takes precedence over Good Ole Boy (and Girl) political agendas.

I hope your quest for School info ends well and that you'll share your story on this post.

Our school superintendent is an elected official, so you can also feel free to reach out to her for info, as she is a wealth of it...(Scarcasm Intended).

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks For the feedback John. It's amazing how difficult it can be to get feedback on something so important as your child's potential new school. Honestly, we love the area and what it has to offer us but the school options may have us postpone our move until our son is done with high school.
There are other options, and as I have had 3 graduate from schools in the area, the Charter High Schools through Northwest State College is an awesome opportunity for students. Politics aside I would suggest going to the schools and sit down with some of the teachers and administrator and discuss your expectations. As for my personal opinion, since the state has beenso adamant about standardized testing it is one of the reasons for the difficulties our educators face in educating their students. Cookie cutter mentality brings cookie cutter results.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We're lucky to have many school options in Walton County. Our public schools are as good as any, safe, and I mostly hear good things, though they do have administrative issues and treat teachers like temporary employees so I hear with low pay and annual contracts. We loved montessori in South Walton. We also LOVE Seaside - and were lucky enough to get in - though I do think all the schools are just as good. It largely depends on your own philosophy and involvement as to where you may choose to place your children.

Whenever I toured the elementary schools when my child was younger, I would have a sinking feeling in my gut when they would tell me that only a few hours of PE or art or music per week were part of the curriculum due to "state law" requiring a certain number of hours for core curriculum and testing prep. Depressing but normal, I suppose. Wherever you live, it's up to YOU to educate your own kids in the areas you feel are important - outside of the classroom. This is what I've come to realize. My child would have done well in ANY of the options we have here. We chose private until middle school when we went to Seaside. And thrilled to remain in Seaside through high school even though the last two years involve transporting to Niceville. Nothings perfect. Thankful for choices.

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
While Bob W and I seldom agree, he is dead on with his first hand assessment.

I give credit where its due.

Thanks Bob.

MarkCY

Beach Crab
Dec 31, 2015
Watercolor
Thanks to all on your feedback. We did reach out to key individuals at Swhs and it took a lot of follow up calls to get individuals to call us back to discuss our son and the school. Quite a different experience than the prompt calls from local school options back home. It left us wondering the quality of the staff, etc... Also when we talked to a friend who does not have children locally, she did not have a lot of good things to say about Swhs and recommended Niceville. However, we don't think driving him an hour each way is doable. Our son spent two full days shadowing at 2 high schools close to our current home. I think that we may have to see if Swhs would allow a similar routine of shadowing or spending some time at the school to get a sense of the environment.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks to all on your feedback. We did reach out to key individuals at Swhs and it took a lot of follow up calls to get individuals to call us back to discuss our son and the school. Quite a different experience than the prompt calls from local school options back home. It left us wondering the quality of the staff, etc... Also when we talked to a friend who does not have children locally, she did not have a lot of good things to say about Swhs and recommended Niceville. However, we don't think driving him an hour each way is doable. Our son spent two full days shadowing at 2 high schools close to our current home. I think that we may have to see if Swhs would allow a similar routine of shadowing or spending some time at the school to get a sense of the environment.
The positive about SWHS is a campus of Northwest Florida State College is within walking distants if dual enrollment is an option. My son did graduate from SWHS and I had nothing but a positive experience. That being said I also feel as though they assisted him in preparing for the future.