• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
WALTON CLOSE TO HIRING NEW TDC DIRECTOR
By: Kari C. Barlow, NWF DailyNews

Walton County is considering hiring a Louisiana tourism official to head the Tourist Development Council.

Commissioners voted to begin negotiating a contract with Jay A. Tusa, who is currently the director of communications and research with the Louisiana Office of Tourism in Baton Rouge.

“He was ranked the highest of the finalists,” Walton County Spokesman Louis Svhela said.

Interim TDC Director Stan Sunday, County Attorney Mark Davis and Human Resources Director Ella Mae Walters will work with Tusa to finalize the hiring agreement, which requires the approval of the board.

Tusa has worked in the tourism and marketing industry for more than 21 years and holds a bachelor’s degree in communications from Loyola University.

FunLMKMjzChlBIjK1cJ19puAxBO8BM9akYwHCV2xumWmMaF9IeKhGFFYPj2betj_B-MY1eRre_qAZaR5obNLNSq5cQDKb9rZ0ZRFe08Igr62Y23X6FnXnvVGuE443_eaiu23dlM9oa-uZ0nxi9EphCiTy9faq7HwKmlhGFI=s0-d-e1-ft

He was one of three finalists, who were culled from a pool of roughly 30 applicants. The other finalists were Julie Morgan, tourist development director in Santa Rosa County, and David West, director of tourism and economic development for i76Solutions of Schwenksville, Pennsylvania.

Svhela said he expects county commissioners to take a final vote on Tusa’s hiring at their meeting March 22.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Experience
Director of Communications & Research
Louisiana Office of Tourism
2012 – Present (4 years)Baton Rouge, LA
Manage the communications, research and promotional efforts for the Louisiana Office of Tourism (LOT). Forecast annual budgets, projecting costs, determining necessary adjustments and approving and reviewing expenses. Develop the role of research in the DMO to improve strategic and marketing decisions. Make recommendations for the sales and marketing plan. Engage organizational leadership and departments to construct on-going research programs, tools and ad hoc studies serving diverse needs. Liaise with statewide industry stakeholders and represent LOT at industry meetings.

Executive Director
River Parishes Tourist Commission
2008 – 2012 (4 years)LaPlace, LA
Responsible for the success of the River Parishes’ hospitality industry through comprehensive strategic marketing and partnership building region-wide. Managed the Commission’s operating budget. Developed results-driven domestic and international sales and marketing programs growing the tourism base. Addressed complex, sensitive issues in collaboration with Board of Directors and three parish administrations as well as oversaw the effective management of tourism tax revenues. Managed daily operations and administration of the St. John Community Center, a 42,000-square-foot facility.

Marketing Manager
Stirling Properties
2006 – 2008 (2 years)Covington, LA
Created and executed the annual marketing plan for the corporate, commercial and residential divisions of a major Gulf South real estate developer. Identified and executed earned media opportunities. Oversaw a staff located throughout multiple satellite offices while directing the application of the company's goals and objectives to meet the needs of each office in developing annual marketing plans.

Advertising Manager
New Orleans CVB
2002 – 2005 (3 years)New Orleans, LA
Developed and managed the domestic and international marketing efforts, including day-to-day oversight of media placement and creative development; traditional and digital marketing programs; Internet presence; photography and video resources; and research. Administered the advertising budget, directing all contracted work from the CVB’s advertising agencies. Proposed and developed multi-media marketing campaigns to support sales efforts in key markets. Served as brand steward, ensuring strategic deployment across all Bureau projects. Worked closely with CVB leadership on strategic planning, community awareness projects, elected officials relationships,

Account Executive
Gallinghouse Marketing + Creative
2001 – 2002 (1 year)Covington, LA
Managed budgets, creative development, public relations, and media planning for multiple accounts including St. Tammany Parish Tourist Commission, Covington Downtown Development District, and Three Rivers Art Festival. Fostered stakeholder relationships identifying key opportunities for client’s product expansion.

Media Planner
Montgomery Stire & Partners
2000 – 2000 (less than a year)New Orleans, LA
Managed media strategy, research, and planning. Executed regional and national media buys including print, television, radio, digital, direct mail and outdoor. Agency clients included New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation and New Orleans Marriott, as well as an extensive list of smaller regional hotels.

Interactive Account Executive / Production Supervisor
WWL-TV
1994 – 2000 (6 years)New Orleans, LA
Interactive Account Executive – Provided online marketing solutions for businesses with products designed to attract customers, build brand awareness and promote special opportunities. Developed initiatives to expand website content.

Production Supervisor – Led the day-to-day operation of the Production Department overseeing billing, scheduling, budgeting and marketing. Assisted in the management of revenue and expense budgets.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
marketing, marketing, marketing...
don't see a lot of management experience.

He'll need to negotiate a nice golden parachute like Bagby did to cover his butt if he doesn't "go along to get along".

If he's honest and sincere, I give him about three months before they " Halfhill" him.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
marketing, marketing, marketing...
don't see a lot of management experience.

He'll need to negotiate a nice golden parachute like Bagby did to cover his butt if he doesn't "go along to get along".

If he's honest and sincere, I give him about three months before they " Halfhill" him.
Yes it will be interesting to see whether they hire him to run things, or if they hired him to follow directions. It shouldn't take but about a day to figure out. The other 2 finalists were directors ....

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
This prayer I offer.....

May God look over him and keep him safe from local politics. Oh lord, give him strength, patience and the ability to resist those who would squader this paradise in the name of a dollar...........

He will need It! Good luck and remember the devil wears silver hair and combs it flat.....

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
I'm confused. Why does the county even need a Tourist Development Council? Everybody complains about the huge number of people who flood the area now and it's growing every year. Seems to me that the county has already reached the saturation point with tourists and the money spent on the TDC could be put to better use than trying to bring even more tourists into the area.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'm confused. Why does the county even need a Tourist Development Council? Everybody complains about the huge number of people who flood the area now and it's growing every year. Seems to me that the county has already reached the saturation point with tourists and the money spent on the TDC could be put to better use than trying to bring even more tourists into the area.

Great points and questions.

With a potential Civil War over beach access and vendors, infrastructure that cannot support the current population, (let alone any increases in tourism), no occupancy regulation for rental property, your comments are right on point.

Unfortunately, we have zero leadership on board and a crew that just goes along to get along and get that paycheck each week.

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
Bed tax collectors (property owners) will not be satisfied until every bed has someone in it every night of the year. That is why they have beds after all. That is the mindset you are dealing with. There are a very small number of owners who don't worry about it, and may not want to rent every night. But their agencies are at odds with that mentality.

This scenario means that MORE adverting HAS to be done.
And spending one advertising dollar less than last year means LESS income this year. That would be a DISASTER in the minds of business people and politicians.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think we do need leadership for tourism as its our main industry here and important for us all. However, I think that we need overall government leadership first and foremost to lead the way for infrastructure and excellent planning and development. We're a town of people, families, schools, and businesses first. With no real oversight. Not even a mayor. Yet all the leadership we see is in tourism..