• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
These chairs are not used. Some may be paid for, but few are actually used or used for more than a short period of time during the day. I'm all for franchise fees, but this fee will just be passed on to the tourists and the chairs will continue to sit empty. I understand your concept with the Kiosks, but IMHO these services belong on private resort beaches, not public ones. A compromise could be to allow beach set-ups after 9am and complete removal by 5-6pm as long as they are not set up until the renter takes occupancy. Yes, this would require the vendor to place their wares on or near the beach and physically attend them during the duration of the day. I'd prefer to see this rather than see a kiosk set up wether its temporary or not.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
We believe in our communtiy and do what we can to foster it. It's part of our mission statement. We are very happy to make a living here. We greatly appreciate our financial supporters who appreciate what we do here and want to support our community website.

I try to keep out of politics. I wish all our beaches were free and open like Oregon. But that was done there a long time ago. Early developers in SoWal were allowed to do whatever they liked. That horse left the barn long ago. Now it's up to lawyers unfortunately. That lawyers and law enforcement is telling people to put up signs on the beach is sad.

Not many people have been banned on this site, and not because of political reasons. Unless you count axe grinders like the recent poster who repeatedly posted personal attacks about certain school personnel under five different screen names ("sock puppets" - also against forum rules).

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
We believe in our communtiy and do what we can to foster it. It's part of our mission statement. We are very happy to make a living here. We greatly appreciate our financial supporters who appreciate what we do here and want to support our community website.

I try to keep out of politics. I wish all our beaches were free and open like Oregon. But that was done there a long time ago. Early developers in SoWal were allowed to do whatever they liked. That horse left the barn long ago. Now it's up to lawyers unfortunately. That lawyers and law enforcement is telling people to put up signs on the beach is sad.

Not many people have been banned on this site, and not because of political reasons. Unless you count axe grinders like the recent poster who repeatedly posted personal attacks about certain school personnel under five different screen names ("sock puppets" - also against forum rules).

I agree, kinda, but comparing a State to a single county??
Again Florida has like over 2000 miles of coastline and only 30 +/- miles
have this vendor problem( yes I think Vendors have created this problem).
Maybe if one of the BCC voting commissioners didn't have a family member in the Vendor business and she continues to vote on all vendor rules( or lack of)
This issue could be confronted and fixed. Good old boy/women system at its finest.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
So to make sure that I am fully educated on the beach situation, can someone explain why people are putting up signs, ropes and other blockade devices to restrict people from walking on the beach?

I am a new homeowner that spent a lot of money for a beautiful home, not directly on the beach but with the knowledge that these beautiful beaches are public and NOT restricted by homeowners who have oceanfront property.

If there is more to the story, please fill me in. If there's a class action lawsuit against these homeowners that think they can patrol public beach property, please let me know the name of the law firm, I'm ready to jump in and fight these arrogant a*******!!!

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure which is sadder. Someone who just moved here and finds out the situation or someone who's lived here their whole life and are witness.

upperarlington

Beach Comber
Apr 22, 2016
Columbus OH
We've been vacationing in Seagrove for the last 5 years and the only signs I have seen is to the right of One Seagrove place if you are standing one the beach looking at the condos. There has never been a soul in that section of the "private beach" but I was always afraid to put my chair down in the area. With the 3 rows of vendor chairs there, it can get pretty tight for a spot on the beach. If it gets more crowded this year, I may sit on the private beach area and see what unfolds.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
We've been vacationing in Seagrove for the last 5 years and the only signs I have seen is to the right of One Seagrove place if you are standing one the beach looking at the condos. There has never been a soul in that section of the "private beach" but I was always afraid to put my chair down in the area. With the 3 rows of vendor chairs there, it can get pretty tight for a spot on the beach. If it gets more crowded this year, I may sit on the private beach area and see what unfolds.
I was there the other day and saw those signs - they also have a couple of giant flags that are about 15 feet high. This is going to get worse folks.

My guess is that if signs, ropes, chains, flags, etc are ever banned then people would start setting up dune to gulf chairs, tents, umbrellas and whatever else is allowed, to keep people off private stretches. I've already seen that at resorts and condos.