• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sharon davis

Beach Comber
May 5, 2016
Inlet Beach
Due to an increase in the number of people visiting our area, we have simply run out of beach at the local, public beach accesses.
The additional people have started to move to the east and west of the accesses and some, onto private property.

Due to the recent decline in the quality of people visiting (rule breakers) their behavior has prompted homeowners to take steps to protect their private property.

Due to the inability of our elected Sheriff to enforce Trespassing Laws of the State, owners now must comply with a multiple page document, created by the aforementioned elected official in order to get any level of law enforcement service.

Due to the specific provisions of the multipage document referenced, (SOP or standard operating procedure), owners are putting up clearly visible boundaries and signs, as required.

That, in a nut shell is the problem.

Now, most recently, people are antagonizing the issue on both sides.

More and more signs, everywhere a sign.

A Community Organizer stirring the pot and calling for civilized anarchy for a day on the beach.

Not how you solve problems. This is how you create more of them.

Go back to the Source of the problem.

Overcrowding & Quality of Visitor.

Fix that and you'll start to see some change for the better.

Right on!!!!

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
......I am a new homeowner that spent a lot of money for a beautiful home, not directly on the beach but with the knowledge that these beautiful beaches are public and NOT restricted by homeowners who have oceanfront property.

Hey Conn006, I'm assuming your home buying experience is relatively fresh on your mind. Do you recall what comments (or lack of) your real estate agent made regarding your ability to access the beach when you bought your home? Did you buy your home expecting that you had full rights to ALL of the beach? Was anything put in writing regarding this subject by your agent (we all probably know the answer to this question)?

In other words, where did you get this "knowledge" that you refer to?

The reason I ask is that there's been a lot of talk of who's to blame for the current predicament - overcrowded public accesses and beaches - and now the private /public the mess we're in. I'm hoping you can shed some light.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Our knowledge is of course real estate agents, countless hours of research online, local and state websites, as we live out of state currently. We spent a lot of time talking to locals, new neighbors, neighbors who have been there 25 years, business owners and walking along the beaches---mind you we did not walk the entire 26 miles, but the areas we did, we did NOT see any signage indicating a private beach. No where online did we read of any private beaches along 30a.

Not one person ever mentioned anything about private beaches in the area and quite frankly, we just learned of this ridiculousness by coming upon this forum.

I am all for respectfulness of the beaches, not damaging or leaving trash. We need to keep these beaches pristine for the generations to come.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Conn006, I think you'll enjoy the area. Try not to get too consumed in all the bickering on this forum. However I am very guilty of this. But I pay for it with a lot of wasted time. And my theory is that there are only about 50 - 100 people who read these posts. And of course my hopeful influence on those people is admittedly a very very small percentage of that.

But one thing you mentioned struck a chord with me. And that is you said "quite frankly, we just learned of this ridiculousness by coming upon this forum." What I mean is that many times in the past I posed this question: "Has anyone not been able to find a spot on a public beach?" Since you didn't know about the private beach situation when you visited the public beach, that you didn't have any problems accessing the public beach. Nobody ever directly answered my question. I already know the answer judging by the lack of response. Which BMB access do you use?

But the problem then comes when some beach goers would rather move "down the beach a little ways" - away from the public beach area to find more space and solitude. Only in the past few years has this become an issue. And there is no question that the Retreat, as an example in BMB, is and has been extremely aggressive regarding their enforcement when this situation arises. At first I wondered why. Now I know.

Will you be moving down and living here full time soon or do you rent your home?

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Conn006, I think you'll enjoy the area. Try not to get too consumed in all the bickering on this forum. However I am very guilty of this. But I pay for it with a lot of wasted time. And my theory is that there are only about 50 - 100 people who read these posts. And of course my hopeful influence on those people is admittedly a very very small percentage of that.

But one thing you mentioned struck a chord with me. And that is you said "quite frankly, we just learned of this ridiculousness by coming upon this forum." What I mean is that many times in the past I posed this question: "Has anyone not been able to find a spot on a public beach?" Since you didn't know about the private beach situation when you visited the public beach, that you didn't have any problems accessing the public beach. Nobody ever directly answered my question. I already know the answer judging by the lack of response. Which BMB access do you use?

But the problem then comes when some beach goers would rather move "down the beach a little ways" - away from the public beach area to find more space and solitude. Only in the past few years has this become an issue. And there is no question that the Retreat, as an example in BMB, is and has been extremely aggressive regarding their enforcement when this situation arises. At first I wondered why. Now I know.

Will you be moving down and living here full time soon or do you rent your home?
We do not rent, never will and will eventually move down full time. Your right, no point in getting upset over a small situation at this point. We've not had a problem getting a spot on the beach thus far and really don't expect to. We tried to buy away from Seaside and we use the access by Goatfeathers. I'm always overly passionate when I feel the little guy is being bullied. I need to continue to work on this!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
There are 40 in my office alone who read it every day. Most of our knowledge and conversation about south walton comes from here. Just curious - you're posting hoping to influence people?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We do not rent, never will and will eventually move down full time. Your right, no point in getting upset over a small situation at this point. We've not had a problem getting a spot on the beach thus far and really don't expect to. We tried to buy away from Seaside and we use the access by Goatfeathers. I'm always overly passionate when I feel the little guy is being bullied. I need to continue to work on this!
Welcome to SoWal! Private beach issues, along with signs and Beach vendors are fairly recent issues here in South Walton. We have amazing residents and frequent visitors who are very active and vocal about protecting and preserving our beaches for everyone. You'll find good info here as well as other sources. Thanks for joining the conversation. Not everyone agrees on local issues and that's ok. Discussion is good and helpful for our community. Tip: If you see hostile or negative comments that aren't helpful to the discussion - just keep on scrolling..

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
There's no such thing as a private beach in my book but at the very least with Customary Use Doctrine it allows for access through private beaches. I believe when the dust clears and the judges eventually rule on this the private beachfront owners who are pushing this will have to accept that people will have access behind their houses as they always have.

Last edited: