• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
A view to ponder (pun intended):

When I was a kid, and even as a young adult...going to the beach was such a simple thing. A bathing suit, a towel, maybe a small cooler. We went to swim, catch some rays, and people watch. If you had a chair +/or umbrella it was a luxury.

Seems nowadays going to the beach has become a major event for many. Tents. Chairs. Wagons. Coolers on wheels the size of a small car. Stereo setups qualified to broadcast and charge admission.
Some of these folks are creating mini cities on the beach. It's absurd. IMHO.

If I was a beachfront owner I wouldn't enjoy a tourist refugee camp (LoL) set up behind my place.
However, if you are a small group or quiet respectable family, I'd have no problem. And being me, I'd probably stop and engage you in conversation. Unless of course you wanted to be left alone.

We are in our 4th decade as locals on this beach. And even though none we have visited in the state are as beautiful, we often vacation to others simply because some can be aweful peaceful.
It can be very relaxing to spend the day on the beach w/o the loud music, wall to wall vendor setups, and people who bring the kitchen sink along...

And nothing to do but listen to the surf and ponder.

Cheers!
Nice post. You know we've jumped the shark when you see all these bonfire / catering setups.

But those are quaint in comparison to the recent introduction of "luxury" beach setups complete with big screen TVs and sofas.
No I am not joking.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I just would like to see no signs of any kind on the beach and no vendor chairs unless filled with actual people (excluding resorts). We're ruining the whole beach experience.

Customary use is also critical along with excellent beach rules and enforcement.

It's complicated though. Because of condos and resorts that maintain their private beach accesses which should be allowed. But people should certainly be able to walk along the from another point and have a sit.

I believe these issues stem from a growing beach town with increasing population as well as tourism. And a lack of planning and leadership.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
A view to ponder (pun intended):

When I was a kid, and even as a young adult...going to the beach was such a simple thing. A bathing suit, a towel, maybe a small cooler. We went to swim, catch some rays, and people watch. If you had a chair +/or umbrella it was a luxury.

Seems nowadays going to the beach has become a major event for many. Tents. Chairs. Wagons. Coolers on wheels the size of a small car. Stereo setups qualified to broadcast and charge admission.
Some of these folks are creating mini cities on the beach. It's absurd. IMHO.

If I was a beachfront owner I wouldn't enjoy a tourist refugee camp (LoL) set up behind my place.
However, if you are a small group or quiet respectable family, I'd have no problem. And being me, I'd probably stop and engage you in conversation. Unless of course you wanted to be left alone.

We are in our 4th decade as locals on this beach. And even though none we have visited in the state are as beautiful, we often vacation to others simply because some can be aweful peaceful.
It can be very relaxing to spend the day on the beach w/o the loud music, wall to wall vendor setups, and people who bring the kitchen sink along...

And nothing to do but listen to the surf and ponder.

Cheers!

Well said Lars. I think we should all accept that certain times of the year we all need to tolerate more folks on the beaches. We just need proper code enforcement when people get out of line. Forcing people off "private" beaches will never work and be the source of unending conflict but working together to ensure proper code enforcement will.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Anyone been watching PCB tv news? Well they want Popup tents removed from the beach their BCC or TDC gave them a week to make it happen...Now that's earning your pay and solving voters request....No Kicking The Can Down the Road in Bay County. Also they have solved vendor problem...move them ALL
Back 20' from wet sand....Oh, but hey they have renourished beaches...

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Anyone been watching PCB tv news? Well they want Popup tents removed from the beach their BCC or TDC gave them a week to make it happen...Now that's earning your pay and solving voters request....No Kicking The Can Down the Road in Bay County. Also they have solved vendor problem...move them ALL

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I think the common theme all of us can agree on is that of the Beach Vendors, agree?

If so, we now have a common thread to all champion.

I have my opines, that's clear, but if we all agree on the Vendor issue, why not attack that now, upfront and united?

Im on board. Anyone else?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I think the common theme all of us can agree on is that of the Beach Vendors, agree?

I have my opines, that's clear, but if we all agree on the Vendor issue, why not attack that now, upfront and united?

I'm In

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Tv scene

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

When you alienate half this boards population with your hostility and sarcasm and constant harsh and unwarranted criticism of all things Sheriff Adkinson...I seriously doubt you'll find anyone willing to board your sinking raft!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Time to make a stand in the sand

Tallahassee Democrat
Opinion Column

Time to make a stand in the sand

Dave Rauschkolb, My View 4:16 p.m. EDT May 25, 2016

It is important to be good neighbors. Sharing the resources we hold dear in all of Florida – and where I live, in South Walton County – is critical to the well-being of our citizens, visitors and economic interests.

It appears that South Walton County could become Florida’s ground zero in the private beach vs. customary use conflict. In the past few years, a handful of beachfront homeowners has grown into a coordinated group determined to claim the sand behind their homes as private. This group wishes to allow no use of the “private” dry sandy areas for the public to participate in customary recreational activities. They are placing “No Trespassing” signs, ropes and chains across the beaches.

All the beaches of South Walton and Florida have been uninterrupted in their human use for many centuries. A doctrine of “Customary Use” gives all of us reasonable access and enjoyment on private and public beaches.

In deference to beachfront homeowners, I agree that certain unsavory activities that may occur on the beaches behind their homes must and should be regulated. Those regulations – exercised with appropriate action by law enforcement – should be all the insurance beachfront homeowners need to ensure peaceable, customary beach activities behind their homes anywhere on Florida’s beaches. In Walton County there is a Beach Activities Ordinance in place that already addresses this.

I challenge the Florida Legislature and the governor to work to together and finally adopt a law guaranteeing Customary Use for all Florida’s citizens and visitors. It is clearly the right thing to do and far, far overdue.

Customary use, which is the law of the sand in Hawaii, Oregon and Texas, grants permanent public access based on ancient, peaceful, uninterrupted and reasonable use of the beach by the public. One would hope Florida could adopt a similar law.

It is critical that the sandy areas of Florida’s beaches are open for all to enjoy; our tourist driven economy is dependent on this perception and reality. Any threat to our beach access and use is a threat to our local and statewide tourism driven economy. As a business owner in South Walton County for over 30 years, I take that threat very seriously.

I encourage the handful of beachfront homeowners who are pushing to limit access to our beaches to save their money and stand down. South Walton and Florida residents and visitors will never allow our beaches to have limited access and use.

Until a few years ago this was never an issue, and people enjoyed every grain of sand on our beaches without intimidation. I am sure most people feel strongly enough about defending our right to enjoy Florida’s beaches to see this fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

Let us come together and stop fighting over the sand, and go back to enjoying the beaches with our families and friends as we always have.

Dave Rauschkolb is a beach lover, and property and business owner in Walton County.