• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
When you alienate half this boards population with your hostility and sarcasm and constant harsh and unwarranted criticism of all things Sheriff Adkinson...I seriously doubt you'll find anyone willing to board your sinking raft!

My posts are based in fact. Sheriff Mike has a very basic problem, called selective enforcement. Nothing more nothing less.

Show me where I've ever personally attacked him. Not gonna find it, but there could be room for that, not my style.

As for my raft, its not full of Haitians, it's actually more like a cruise boat with lots of people paying to come on board.

I've invited u to join the cause against Beach Vendors, do you accept?

Seems like some very basic common ground we can all stand for.

Or are you going to continue to defend the selective enforcement of this administration? He's now gone through how many Majors?

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Someone told me yesterday that Walton County was going to ban tents and it didn't surprise me. To many left overnight or abandoned completely.

We should also ban the giant flags while. We ate at it. And what not limit signs to a square foot or so until private very public issue is settled. And no ropes or chains.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Or are you going to continue to defend the selective enforcement of this administration? He's now gone through how many Majors?

I have not defended the Adkinson Administration...actually, the Sheriff does that quite succinctly without any help from me. He is running for re-election UNOPPOSED! You wanna know what I love about his campaign aside from the fact he is running UNOPPOSED? You won't see his campaign SIGNS cluttering SoWal or anywhere else in the county for that matter because he hasn't used any! That's ENVIRONMENTALLY friendly and doesn't alienate the people he wants on his side of any given issue.

Don't know about the Majors and I know even less about what that has to do with who owns the sand on our beaches but it's soooooooo typical of you to bring up something that has nothing to do with this thread in yet another attempt to derail the conversation,

As for the vendor issue, I do agree the umbrella and unused chair set-ups are grotesque and unsightly and I hate the site of beautiful images of our coastline dotted with blue umbrellas which I think takes away from the breathtakingly beautiful images of our beaches. It's just my opinion and I don't know this for a fact but I think the reason Panama City Beach was so successful in moving vendors back 20 ' from the wet sand is probably because they don't have a County Commissioner on their board with a vested interest (C. Jones & son) in keeping things just the way they are. I do want to wish everyone who jumps aboard your dinghy the best though. I have been on the receiving end of the Jones wrath once before and honestly, I'm just ornery enough to punch someone in the face if it happened again or maybe just older and wiser about my rights and personal space but in any case, I'd need an attorney and bail money. I sorta kinda pride myself on never having seen the inside of the new Walton County Jail and only saw the booking station at the old one...under my own volition.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
When going to the beach it is important to avoid conflict with the few beach front homeowners who actually might verbally attack you for exercising your right to the customary use of the beach. They have nothing if we ALL remain resolute and immune to their attempts to anger us. Smile at them, be polite and perhaps tell them to "have a nice day." Say it, show it and mean it without condescension "It's a beautiful day for the beach" It is important to avoid dispute and show customary use according to Tona Rama vs Daytona beach Supreme court decision.

"If the recreational use of the sandy area adjacent to mean high tide has been ancient, reasonable, without interruption and free from dispute, such use, as a matter of custom, should not be interfered with by the owner. However, the owner may make any use of his property which is consistent with such public use and not calculated to interfere with the exercise of the right of the public to enjoy the dry sand area as a recreational adjunct of the wet sand or foreshore area."13308440_10209764045966764_8173188535764752922_o.jpg

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yesterday I had the experience of being told the spot we picked for our beach chairs was on "Private Property". This at the Eastern Lake Beach area so you can draw your own conclusions where we were. I looked the gent straight in the eyes and said "Fine" and I will move to the high water line mark which was roughly 5 feet away ! I had a good friend with me and elected not to ask for any documentation or where his signs were. Pleasant enough exchange between both parties but 5 feet away? INSANE!! Not sure I would have handled this in the same manner if it were just the wife and I....

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I don't think our beaches should be open for business with vending. We've seen what it looks like and it's completely changed the look and feel of your experience on the beach. And not in a good way.
I agree.
Look what happened to crab island in Destin once "services" were allowed.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I had some relatives come down and they stayed in Sandestin. Don't even TRY to see the beach there. It is UNREAL with the chair set ups. And it's 60.00 per day. 30.00 for the chairs and 30.00 for the umbrella. lol! Kind of wish I had jumped on the beach chair business wagon years ago. ; )

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I had some relatives come down and they stayed in Sandestin. Don't even TRY to see the beach there. It is UNREAL with the chair set ups. And it's 60.00 per day. 30.00 for the chairs and 30.00 for the umbrella. lol! Kind of wish I had jumped on the beach chair business wagon years ago. ; )
http://sowal.com/webcam/sandestin-beachcam

Some people love to be in the middle of the action.