• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
This is on the Agenda for June 14th. Request to amend Chapter 22 of the Walton County Code of Ordinances (obstructions on the beach)

Please note Sec 22-55,

"It shall be unlawful for any person to place, construct or maintain an obstruction on the beach. Obstructions, include, but are not limited to ropes, chains, signs, or fences."

Link: Ch. 22 Amendment - Final Draft (redlined)

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
We'll, that will be the opening pitch of the world series if they pass that. You have now told people they can't do anything with their own property. What if the sign was beware of dog? They will have 30 days to legally challenge this code change I believe. Attention beachfront owners, you better tee up your lawyers in the batters box the BCC has sent the pitcher to the mound! Eating popcorn and watching the show...........because I don't own beach front!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's a good first step. I'm more worried about signs and fences on the beach than where or whether I can sit on it. Awful way to treat our beautiful beaches as signs/fences multiply this season. There must be a way to protect the beauty and keep it clean and safe.

Last edited:

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
And that number: 850-434-9200 is for the Clark Partington law firm, in case anybody was wondering...

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
No one wants to remove gates or anything else except signs and fencing that is on the white sand below the toe of the dunes. Access to the beaches is gained through the publicly owned accesses. '
The attack on the public's use of the beaches is two-fold. One, restrict the public only to the publicly owned portions of the beach and then 2, fight opening or developing publicly owned accesses so that the public cannot get to the beach it owns. If either succeeds our way of life as a community will be radically changed as will our economic model. By community I include the entirety of Walton County. This effects every resident from Paxton to Inlet Beach.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
We'll, that will be the opening pitch of the world series if they pass that. You have now told people they can't do anything with their own property. What if the sign was beware of dog? They will have 30 days to legally challenge this code change I believe. Attention beachfront owners, you better tee up your lawyers in the batters box the BCC has sent the pitcher to the mound! Eating popcorn and watching the show...........because I don't own beach front!
There are plenty of government regulations about use of private property. Can a beachfront owner build a 10,000 sf pavilion, level dunes, or open a daquiri stand? Of course not. The proposed changes are a common sense addition to the leave no trace program. We need to regulate use of our beaches to ensure enjoyment by all. Compromise is necessary for a decent society.