• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I believe the county had a prime opportunity to purchase the large tract of land when the market was down across the street from the Dune Allen "Ft. Panic" beach access. It would have made a great parking facility. :dunno:

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Parking near driveways do not cause major safety issues. Not sure what you mean by line of sight either.

Yes there are some accesses where parking is nonexistent because of small streets, tight spaces, and landscaping. But there are many that would have a lot of parking if not for signs and chains, and posts. etc. Walton Rose Ln has a couple of hundred yards with very few driveways and dozens of signs.
I'm not familiar with Walton Rose Ln, but trying to get out of driveways with parking in ROWs right up to the driveways (check out 30A) does create safety issues as a result of not being able to see to pull out into traffic. ROW parking also creates hazards from car doors opening into traffic or multi-use paths. Children, and even adults, are sometimes difficult to see and will step out from between vehicles. Sight lines are used to keep an intersecting area clear enough to safely see and enter oncoming traffic. They are used where roads intersect and/or driveways intersect roads.

Attachments

• Sight line.jpg
    Sight line.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 97

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
Headland Ave Beach Access Workshop was approved at tonight's BCC meeting.
Workshop will take place on July 12th an hour before meeting. Primary resistance is from two beach front owners on both sides of county land.

Vote was 4-1 for workshop with C. Jones voting "No". (Previous BCC meeting vote on this access before revisit was 3-2 against with C. Jones voting "No".)
It is hard for me to understand denying beach access through county owned land to "a public beach", especially an area experiencing a great concentration of development with future build-outs. We are only talking a walkover and a bike rack! The accesses west of Headlands have no bike racks or space for bikes and we are supposed to be a bike friendly location? Its no wonder why we have transportation issues.

Last edited:

Garner

Beach Fanatic
I believe the county had a prime opportunity to purchase the large tract of land when the market was down across the street from the Dune Allen "Ft. Panic" beach access. It would have made a great parking facility. :dunno:
Wasn't that four acres for less than $800,000? Now developed with single family homes?

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Wasn't that four acres for less than $800,000? Now developed with single family homes?
Yes.
To their credit, the county did spend 2.3 million in 2003 to purchase the 3 acre Stallworth property at the end of Stallworth Blvd. (insert sarcasm tag here)

13 years later we are still waiting for that site to be available to the public...oh wait, it won't because it's at the end of a private gated street.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yes.
To their credit, the county did spend 2.3 million in 2003 to purchase the 3 acre Stallworth property at the end of Stallworth Blvd. (insert sarcasm tag here)

13 years later we are still waiting for that site to be available to the public...oh wait, it won't because it's at the end of a private gated street.

It was purchased as preservation of dune mice habitat. It was never intended to be developed.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
It was purchased as preservation of dune mice habitat. It was never intended to be developed.
That is not entirely true. I happen to know the circumstances intimately.
However, that was not my point...my point was, the county (along with the land preservation trust, in full disclosure), was more than eager to make that deal. But couldn't muster up the ability to purchase the Fort Panic piece where parking is desperately needed.
BTW, if there is interest. Check out the mission of the Land Preservation Trust. You will find it includes preserving land for the recreational use of the public.

Marmot

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2016
SRB
Posted on: June 17, 2016
NOTICE of PUBLIC WORKSHOP - Headland Ave Public Beach Access

NOTICE of PUBLIC WORKSHOP

You are hereby notified that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold a workshop on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM or soon thereafter. The meeting will be held at the South Walton Courthouse Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL.

The purpose of this meeting is to discuss Headland Avenue Public Beach Access.

Walton County adheres to the American with Disabilities Act and will make reasonable modifications for access to the meetings upon request. Please call (850) 892-8115 to make a request. For hearing impaired, please call 1-800-955-8771 (TDD), 1-800-955-8770 (VOICE). Requests must be received at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting to allow time to provide the requested services.