• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Bob, they have not written tickets for dogs on the beach, glass on the beach etc. in the last 3 administrations unless forced to do so or when someone aggravated the deputy, so I doubt they start now. I think the thong ordinance is still on the books and they never enforced that either. Officers have discretion about how they handle incidents. When the boss tells you how that discretion will be exercised you do it. Once upon a time failure to follow instructions meant an immediate termination, now they have a few more hoops to jump through. Results are the same though. I have been there and done that. Rank of the officer means little in these cases, I well remember a captain forced into retirement because he refused to arrest a trespasser on the beach in Miramar. That was an issue in the 2004 election.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I find no Walton County Ordinance declaring "Customary Use of the White sandy beaches" at this time.

Until that is done "it's not your sand" and some of it will "never be your sand". You yourself state that customary use is not ownership of the land.
Florida Supreme Court has ALL ready passed Customary Use of all Florida sand..

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
So the Sheriff could decided to NOT enforced the new provisions of the Beach Activities ordinance - not put it in writing and just orally state for those sworn to uphold the law to "stand down"?[/QUOTE

Registers Letters/Notices will be sent to beach front owners next week, with the date they "must comply". Beach Enforcement will do their job after that date has passed.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
That doesn't appear to be true. If it is why is the County paying an attorney 375.00 per hour to determine if customary use of Walton County beaches can be proven.
Why do we always pay a lawyer? A person who represent themselves have a fool for a client. Don't know who said but someone did.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
No signs allowed. No chains or ropes allowed. It's the law. It's simple. There is no need for enforcing trespassing laws on ground that is and should be accessible to everyone. Enforcing the bad behavior on the beach, on the sidewalks anywhere really is the key. Beach front homeowners deserve as much as we all do to have uncivil behavior regulated and punished when and wherever it occurs. The BCC has taken action and it appears code enforcement is going to get it going. The issue I take it that beachfront homeowners have used this bad behavior as an excuse to "justify" trying to limit access on the beach. Sorry folks it's our beach too and we all need to take ownership of how people act and take action to keep them from behaving badly. This sand is your sand. This sand is my sand. That is all.
Dang. If uncivil behavior means punishment then lock me up. :lol:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I have read practically every post in this forum. Some folks make valid for both sides. The issue the the property owner and the customary use folks could probably been solved had some of the little things in enforcement been addressed, staying off my boardwalk, cleaning up after self. The bigger issue was the renourishment project, I can remember armouring being installed which was not permitted, it seems. At the same time folks have been using the public accesses to gain access and spreading out from there in a Customary fashion. I for one don't use the beach much at all. I have made access to the beach in certain situations through someone's home to assist someone in the course of my job. I do believe in customary use, but I don't like customary abuse of the property where the owner has placed an over walk. Enforcement is the key, and notwithstanding certain folks constant barrage, is the only reasonable answer to maintaining customary use.

I leave you with this poem with what I think is 2 different opinions...

Frost, Mending Wall

If the link doesn't work, it is Robert Frost, Mending Wall

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Because the beachfront homeowners are paying $700 an hour to determine it can't be proven.

The fact is that "customary use" must be proven.

There is no ordinance establishing customary use in Walton County at this time and that's why the county is spending money to attempt to prove it exists in Walton County.

It's NOT your sand yet and may never be yours !

Time will tell and the courts will decide.