• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
We are back at Sowal and see that the beach chair rentals are now $365 for 6 days. When we first started visiting Sowal there weren't very many vendors and now the beaches are completely dominated by the . Further, the beaches are all divided up in small portions this year with ropes and signs stating where you can sit and can't sit depending on where you are staying.

Anyway, if we wake up early and go down to the beach to set up first, then walk the beach with the kids, can these vendors move my things? I just don't want to be behind 3 rows of chairs because I can't see my children in the water.

Thanks so much!

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
We are back at Sowal and see that the beach chair rentals are now $365 for 6 days. When we first started visiting Sowal there weren't very many vendors and now the beaches are completely dominated by the . Further, the beaches are all divided up in small portions this year with ropes and signs stating where you can sit and can't sit depending on where you are staying.

Anyway, if we wake up early and go down to the beach to set up first, then walk the beach with the kids, can these vendors move my things? I just don't want to be behind 3 rows of chairs because I can't see my children in the water.

Thanks so much!
No. The vendors are not allowed to move your beach set up.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Maybe 6 years ago, $220 a week for one set. Wow $365! We bought beach chairs ($29) and umbrellas ($25) Tommy Bahama brand at Costco after that. Have replaced 1 chair. Also, bought those spiral, umbrella holders to dig/hold the umbrellas, bought them on 30A.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks so much!
Can I ask what strectch of beach?

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
I don't mind bringing my own things either, but when the vendors get to dominate the best spots it's impossible to get a good spot unless you get there at sunrise I'm assuming. He wouldn't tell me when they set up on purpose. $365 is crazy and you see empty chairs that nobody uses all day in the front row. Also, these roped off areas are new. The section of the beach for Seacrest is tiny (and all spots dominted by vendors) and beach roped off and says "Reserved for Sandy Shores only" or "Rosemary Beach only." Thought it was a public beach? What happens if you cross the rope and sit? Things sure have changed over the years!

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I don't mind bringing my own things either, but when the vendors get to dominate the best spots it's impossible to get a good spot unless you get there at sunrise I'm assuming. He wouldn't tell me when they set up on purpose. $365 is crazy and you see empty chairs that nobody uses all day in the front row. Also, these roped off areas are new. The section of the beach for Seacrest is tiny (and all spots dominted by vendors) and beach roped off and says "Reserved for Sandy Shores only" or "Rosemary Beach only." Thought it was a public beach? What happens if you cross the rope and sit? Things sure have changed over the years!
I doubt anything near there is public. And that is a very crowded area of SoWal. Ultimately the association in charge of a "private" beach determines if vendors are allowed and regulate their setups.

No chairs or umbrellas or anything else is supposed to be set up before 730 am or until turtle watch is finished - whichever comes first.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Can I ask what strectch of beach?
Seacrest. But dealt with it last year at Rosemary (but it was $300 there last year bc I rented chairs). Sound like a bitter ole hen but it's interesting to see the changes over the years.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
I doubt anything near there is public. And that is a very crowded area of SoWal. Ultimately the association in charge of a "private" beach determines if vendors are allowed and regulate their setups.

No chairs or umbrellas or anything else is supposed to be set up before 730 am or until turtle watch is finished - whichever comes first.

Great info, thanks. I suppose I should visit another stretch of 30a these days. Love this area, but mama it is crowded! Love Grayton but figure it's the same. Seaside makes RB look sparse!