• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
We have enough garbage left on our beach by the Yeti. This bonfire with a handle probably not going to be a good thing.

2016-06-12 11.35.11-800.jpg

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
Enforcement goes both ways. In February I paid for a permit, bought the proper container, brought the proper wood, and set up a bonfire on a Saturday night at a public beach access. Gulf front homeowner called police before the fire was even lit. He said the noise was "bothering his dogs". The officer who arrived agreed the homeowner was just being a jerk but it was annoying to have to deal with for the first 20 minutes of my sons birthday bonfire.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I love a good bonfire on the beach. Hate to see that go away. You must have a permit and know the rules... We just need good enforcement.
Teresa- I agree they are an enjoyable time. But this is 2016...in crowded, over promoted Miami, err...I mean South Walton Beach.
It's not the sleepy beach I moved to in the 1980's.
Our beach is being prostituted out by too many "services" and too many "I want to do this" on the beach.
I believe there should be pseudo Marshall law on our beach to gain some sort of controll.
No bonfiresl
No tents
No vendors
No loud music
No glass
No weddings
No church
No large organized parties.
No ropes
No signs
No barricades

Turn it back to nature.
Then... The county along with State and the land preservation trust should rebuild the beach lost by decades of storms and erosion.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Agree @LarsAtTheBeach . It's out of control but mostly because of business allowed to be conducted on the beach by vendors. Some of our vendors are excellent and know how to take good care of the beach. But many are clueless. I love a beautiful, simple wedding on the beach followed by a reception elsewhere off the beach. I've enjoyed a shrimp boil and bonfire on the beach by an excellent vendor. Usually we do our own bonfire and cook out own burgers which is a great way to enjoy the beach. I don't know the answer.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
I can't say I've seen an enormous amount of bonfires whenever I've been at the beach at night.

I understand the need for enforcement of rules though.

Just would hate to see this go away bc certain folks can't/won't follow the rules. Bonfires and the beach are synonymous in my book.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Can you blame the visitors for thinking there is no issue firing up an instant bonfire log on the beach when THE grocery at the epicenter of SOWAL has the kits stockpiled at the front door?! And why do they sell fireworks?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Can you blame the visitors for thinking there is no issue firing up an instant bonfire log on the beach when THE grocery at the epicenter of SOWAL has the kits stockpiled at the front door?! And why do they sell fireworks?
The all mighty dollar...bottom line for all our Vendor problems. Also doubt code enforcement works the night shift...