Publix at WaterColor - not a good development

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by Jenksy, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

We have enough garbage left on our beach by the Yeti. This bonfire with a handle probably not going to be a good thing.

2016-06-12 11.35.11-800.jpg

2. LarsAtTheBeach

LarsAtTheBeach Beach Fanatic

Bonfires on the beach in S. Walton should be banned 100%.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  3. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I love a good bonfire on the beach. Hate to see that go away. You must have a permit and know the rules... We just need good enforcement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

Enforcement goes both ways. In February I paid for a permit, bought the proper container, brought the proper wood, and set up a bonfire on a Saturday night at a public beach access. Gulf front homeowner called police before the fire was even lit. He said the noise was "bothering his dogs". The officer who arrived agreed the homeowner was just being a jerk but it was annoying to have to deal with for the first 20 minutes of my sons birthday bonfire.

5. LarsAtTheBeach

LarsAtTheBeach Beach Fanatic

Teresa- I agree they are an enjoyable time. But this is 2016...in crowded, over promoted Miami, err...I mean South Walton Beach.
    It's not the sleepy beach I moved to in the 1980's.
    Our beach is being prostituted out by too many "services" and too many "I want to do this" on the beach.
    I believe there should be pseudo Marshall law on our beach to gain some sort of controll.
    No bonfiresl
    No tents
    No vendors
    No loud music
    No glass
    No weddings
    No church
    No large organized parties.
    No ropes
    No signs
    No barricades

Turn it back to nature.
    Then... The county along with State and the land preservation trust should rebuild the beach lost by decades of storms and erosion.

6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Agree @LarsAtTheBeach . It's out of control but mostly because of business allowed to be conducted on the beach by vendors. Some of our vendors are excellent and know how to take good care of the beach. But many are clueless. I love a beautiful, simple wedding on the beach followed by a reception elsewhere off the beach. I've enjoyed a shrimp boil and bonfire on the beach by an excellent vendor. Usually we do our own bonfire and cook out own burgers which is a great way to enjoy the beach. I don't know the answer.

7. Conn006

Conn006 Beach Lover

I can't say I've seen an enormous amount of bonfires whenever I've been at the beach at night.

I understand the need for enforcement of rules though.

Just would hate to see this go away bc certain folks can't/won't follow the rules. Bonfires and the beach are synonymous in my book.

8. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Can you blame the visitors for thinking there is no issue firing up an instant bonfire log on the beach when THE grocery at the epicenter of SOWAL has the kits stockpiled at the front door?! And why do they sell fireworks?

9. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

The all mighty dollar...bottom line for all our Vendor problems. Also doubt code enforcement works the night shift...

10. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

You realize Publix is a for profit corporation, right?

11. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

So it's OK to do whatever you want to make a profit? Make it easy for people who don't know better to break the law? Make it easier for the Yeti folk to trash our beaches?

12. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

People have a responsibility to follow the law and knowledge creates responsibility. Maybe the county (TDC) should incorporate more education in tourism vs promotion.

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Actually SWFD is responsible. If you see an illegal bonfire call the nonemergency number.

14. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

What does an illegal bonfire look like?

15. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

I find that many of the Yeti folk have the attitude of "I'm giving you money so I will pretty much do what I want".

16. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

You are right, but after the county's effort to educate folks, then the enforcement could occur with no exceptions.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  17. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Education is not a prerequisite for enforcement of law. But maybe you are just trying to be nice.

18. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

Just trying to be nice :)

The carrot before the stick.

19. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

There are no illegal bonfires, just people who start them illegally.

20. ashley2surf

ashley2surf Beach Comber

I set up bonfires on the beach. I am all about the rules. The county has made many changes throughout the years. They make new changes each year actually. Its becoming more and more strict. An illegal bonfire would first be noticeable by the location. It cannot be on private property if its not allowed by the homeowner. Another way to spot an illegal bonfire would be to see where it is located within a public beach access. The county set a rule in place where private bonfires and bonfires set up by a vendor are divided into different spaces. Another way to spot an illegal bonfire would be if it is not in a controlled bonfire pit. If it is directly in the sand please call the police or code enforcement. I dont like to see ignorant people trashing my beaches. My company The Rental Shop actually goes by the rules. Also the county has hired more and more code enforcement staff each year. I am very happy about this. Most vendors are very good about abiding by the rules. There are a few who have not followed the rules at some times. But that is when code enforcement shows up and gives them a ticket. The good thing is that if they get enough tickets they are done. The good thing about events or weddings on the beach is that it brings in tourism which this county needs to survive financially. Unfortunately this area needs the tourism to pay most residents monthly bills. I know the idea of nothing on the beach sounds great, (I get it) however if we didnt offer these things we wouldnt have as many people coming here. Weddings bring in big business. The wedding industry is booming on the beaches of South Walton. As long as there is rules and guidelines I think everything will be fine. For example SWFD doesnt issue bonfire permits to certain accesses once they have met the limit. They deny requests for permits based on the amount of fires or people that will be present at an access. They also dont allow vendors to buy a bonfire permit unless it is within 2 weeks of the bonfire date. This is also a great idea. Hope this info helps. There are vendors who care and do things the right way.

Last edited: May 23, 2017