• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
Store bought is Perfect cause they use them. Then remove and go home and some more store bought ones arrive.
The vendors around here mostly have girl friends and truck payments
My home is right by a community beach access and I sit on my porch early in the mornings (7-9) and watch locals and tourists pull their vehicle (car, truck, van, golfcart) up to the access and unload their chairs, coolers, umbrellas, tents, toys, surfboards, etc. and then get back in and go home. They go back to bed and come back around lunch to spend a few hours. Then they go home for naps or out to eat a late lunch and leave it there for hours, only to come back to sit in them to watch the sunset, load up, and go home. And that is fine. There is really not difference between them doing it and the vendors setting up long before their guests (who paid them to set up) come to sit. If you are going to say vendors cant do it, are you going to go after the people in their store-bought chairs too? The beaches are crowded, and you can no longer expect to lumber down there at 11 a.m. and get the best seat. It doesnt work that way anywhere.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
My home is right by a community beach access and I sit on my porch early in the mornings (7-9) and watch locals and tourists pull their vehicle (car, truck, van, golfcart) up to the access and unload their chairs, coolers, umbrellas, tents, toys, surfboards, etc. and then get back in and go home. They go back to bed and come back around lunch to spend a few hours. Then they go home for naps or out to eat a late lunch and leave it there for hours, only to come back to sit in them to watch the sunset, load up, and go home. And that is fine. There is really not difference between them doing it and the vendors setting up long before their guests (who paid them to set up) come to sit. If you are going to say vendors cant do it, are you going to go after the people in their store-bought chairs too? The beaches are crowded, and you can no longer expect to lumber down there at 11 a.m. and get the best seat. It doesnt work that way anywhere.

Yes....but, it isn't 65 bucks. The deal is very simple and why Walton Co. can't seem to have vendors do it like every other beach town does is beyond me. Have them keep all of their equipment at the dune line and when some pays, then set it up where there is space. Otherwise on a busy weekend you are forced to use a vendor, or set in the street. 4th of July on the "public" part of the beach there were probably 80+ set ups and 30 renters. That is just complete BS and angers me far more than a family from Des Moines setting up their tent at 6am.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
Yes....but, it isn't 65 bucks. The deal is very simple and why Walton Co. can't seem to have vendors do it like every other beach town does is beyond me. Have them keep all of their equipment at the dune line and when some pays, then set it up where there is space. Otherwise on a busy weekend you are forced to use a vendor, or set in the street. 4th of July on the "public" part of the beach there were probably 80+ set ups and 30 renters. That is just complete BS and angers me far more than a family from Des Moines setting up their tent at 6am.
65 for what 3 days. Nobody charges 65 a day. I rent from a service who does a local discount of 10 a day for 2 chairs and 25 a day for tourist . Keep it to the facts Bay County and Okaloosa County allows unused chairs to be set up.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
65 for what 3 days. Nobody charges 65 a day. I rent from a service who does a local discount of 10 a day for 2 chairs and 25 a day for tourist . Keep it to the facts Bay County and Okaloosa County allows unused chairs to be set up.
Also nowhere in Walton county had 80 sets on public beach anytime this season. That is just a false statement. My problem is people complaining and either not knowing the oridnance or striaght up lying to try and get there point acrossed. Vendors are for the most part following the rules. The rules are more than fair. I think the biggest thing we can all do and try to get the facts on the rules before we condemn hard-working young men trying to earn a living.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
What is a "true local"?
And...dope dealers aren't selling dope because people don't want them.....

Sorry, but...I do not recall beach vendors doing business at the public beach access 20 years ago? :dunno:
They were. Gulf Coast, Beach chairs 4 u, Southwinds. A true local is a person who has lived here there whole life and actual knows a little about the history of the county. A true local hasnt moved from somewhere else and try to change things that would put other locals out of business.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Also nowhere in Walton county had 80 sets on public beach anytime this season. That is just a false statement. My problem is people complaining and either not knowing the oridnance or striaght up lying to try and get there point acrossed. Vendors are for the most part following the rules. The rules are more than fair. I think the biggest thing we can all do and try to get the facts on the rules before we condemn hard-working young men trying to earn a living.
80 could be very close to correct. I've seen in excess of 30 many places. And yes the vendors are the problem. Doing business on public property. Anything south of MHWL is public beach. No one owns the wet sand. Which is where you guys setup.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
80 could be very close to correct. I've seen in excess of 30 many places. And yes the vendors are the problem. Doing business on public property. Anything south of MHWL is public beach. No one owns the wet sand. Which is where you guys setup.
Your right about no one owning below the MHWL. So what makes you be able to claim it over a vendor? I have seen 30 on the vendors 50 percent of public beach but never close to 80. 90 percernt of all commerical chairs are on private beach.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
Here is some numbers for you guys. I am behind a study to produce numbers for a private group. On July 4th there were just under 10,000 commercial beach set ups on Walton county beaches. Less then 7 percent were on less than 50 percent of county owned beach. Most of the empty chairs you guys are seeing are actually on private contracted beaches. If you want to see less empty set ups on the beach try starting on private beaches because they have the most. If you want to go even farther a beach set up takes less then five feet. We have 26 miles of beaches. Do the math. Not to mention most places have mutiple rows in a smaller area. Guy commerical beach chairs take up less than 1/3 of our beaches.