• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
M1 do you have any proof or facts of your claim? SC state statute? You made the claim that SC littoral private property with title to the MHWL is public from the vegetation line to the Atlantic. You have the burden of proof.
You can call me/people names but I'm not ignorant of the facts. Prove your claim. Your are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitle to your own facts.
Education of property rights is key. "The fewer the facts the stronger the opinion."
Wait, you spouted something different, I think you should prove your point. You didn't back up your reply.

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
M1 you stated; "Of course, all beach in SC, except on private islands, is public." That would mean all private property landward of the MHWL. Which is wrong. Then you state from the seaoats out is public. Which is wrong. Prove your statement of fact that all beaches in SC is public.

M1 stated you moved to SC because the beaches are public and FL is not. There is no difference for properties titled to the MHWL in FL or SC.

I didn't say anything about sharing sand or not. Or call anyone a SOB or ***.

Bob Wells, what did I spout that was different than that? Might want to read it again.

The point is ignorance of the facts is what biases the discussion. Discuss facts and not opinions and maybe you will have a better understanding of private property rights and why owners will defend them - just like you would if someone wanted to take your rights.

>What is wrong with the over 6 miles of Walton public beaches (some you can drive on!) with over 5,000 acres of public parks with parking, restrooms, and camping that you want to take legally recognized property rights FL owners have today

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Lucas - as usual a minority spoil it for the whole lot (on both sides) ...

NSFW - Mr. Vizcaya... (Language)

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Exactly.

And he misses the point anyway. It's all about greedy people who don't want anyone on "their" beach. Damn, what has SoWal become.

m1a1mg,

It is you who misses the point. There are competing points of view. One side, those you term “greedy”, have deeded ownership of their private beach property to either the ECL or the MHWL, ownership which they legally acquired by purchase under the laws of this state and nation. There is no law governing this property which provides the public the right to trespass on this private land.

The folks who do own that land, just as you in your situation, quite legally have every right under the Constitutions and laws of the United States and Florida to enjoy their homes and land, be it beach or other, free of trespassers. And there are laws defining trespass, be it your property or mine. It is entirely possible that some, if not in fact many, of those beachfront owners think it is you and those asserting there to be a communal right not recognized by existing law as the greedy ones.

You want something you have not purchased, on which you pay no taxes or insurance, and for which you bear no burden for maintenance or liability, among others. You think you should be able to take it because you want it, you think everyone should accept your supposedly superior moral position, and you propose to do so without following the laws governing such takings.

Were you subjected to the threat of theft of your land and your rights under the law in similar fashion, I suspect you’d be inclined to object, too. It all depends on whose ox is being gored, after all, doesn’t it?

Or does it? As a beachfront owner, I’d object just as vigorously were your rights threatened as mine have been. You have every right to equal protection under the law, and so do I and every other citizen, beachfront or not. In our present dystopia, that’s unfortunately not how the system works, but in my view, that dystopia makes it even more incumbent on each of us to act to protect everyone from the evil that inheres in the power of government as it increasingly accrues power and rights that properly belong to us as citizens.

If you’re capable of introspection, I recommend a large dose multiple times a day.

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach

First, my comments are about the incorrect of facts regarding SC littoral property boundaries. Not custom.

But since you want to make it about you vs them and want to make it about custom, I'll bite. Agree both owner and uninvited individuals could have handled it better. I’d be willing to bet there is more to the video that wasn’t shown before the beginning. The property owner should have given notice that the uninvited persons were on private property as the private property signs say and that Ed Walline was a nearby public beach that they could use, and left. If they refused to move, owner should have called the Sheriff and shown his MHWL property survey, and the Sheriff is obligated to ask them to leave or give a citation. The Walton Sheriff recognizes littoral private property rights owners have had since time immemorial and have today.

Or the uninvited persons could have respected the owners recognized littoral private property rights and gone to the nearby public beach when requested. Simple. There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there and respect the owner’s property rights?

That’s where education and understanding of property rights would help. But the BCC is not interested in education or the Constitution. We are a nation of laws and facts. Not opinions or hysterics and name calling. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
M1 you stated; "Of course, all beach in SC, except on private islands, is public." That would mean all private property landward of the MHWL. Which is wrong. Then you state from the seaoats out is public. Which is wrong. Prove your statement of fact that all beaches in SC is public.

M1 stated you moved to SC because the beaches are public and FL is not. There is no difference for properties titled to the MHWL in FL or SC.

I didn't say anything about sharing sand or not. Or call anyone a SOB or ***.

Bob Wells, what did I spout that was different than that? Might want to read it again.

The point is ignorance of the facts is what biases the discussion. Discuss facts and not opinions and maybe you will have a better understanding of private property rights and why owners will defend them - just like you would if someone wanted to take your rights.

>What is wrong with the over 6 miles of Walton public beaches (some you can drive on!) with over 5,000 acres of public parks with parking, restrooms, and camping that you want to take legally recognized property rights FL owners have today
But you haven't backed anything up or disproved M1A1 assertion.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008

NSFW - Mr. Vizcaya... (Language)

This video: OH MY WORD!

According to that Facebook page the man brandishing a stick (?) is a Bill Hackmeyer, real estate guy from Memphis, now retired in Dune Allen. He may need to watch his coronary health; lot of anger coursing through those veins. At the end of the day, I cannot understand how anyone who bought beachfront property truly believed, during their due diligence and up to the closing, despite what any broker/developer may have relayed, that they would be able to or would have the right to control the beach "out front" for their exclusive use with complete disregard of the public's right to use it for recreation and rest. Am I wrong? I have to assume that the majority of the "private beach" proponents blame their position on bad beach goer behavior. Otherwise their stance would have to be based on not wanting anyone on "their" beach so as not to "spoil" their view? Do people say that out loud? The county should enforce its existing laws against bad behavior by beach goers and not let those folks ruin it for the rest of us. We are visiting Seagrove in a few weeks. We are bringing our own chairs/umbrella. I hope we don't encounter anybody like this guy :sosad: