• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Nope not a lawyer. Just an informed supporter of the Constitution and property rights.
Unsure which "guy" you are referring to. But, we don't know what preceded the video so do you know all the facts? I stated how I thought both parties should have handled the owners request in the previous post.

Mike, do yo approve of the uninvited persons on private property and the way they handle it once the video started?

There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there and respect the owner’s property rights?
lol at informed supporter.
The guy with the stick threatening people on the beach.
All bets are off when violence is threatened/
Most people who visit here don't know where the imaginary fences are.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
m1a1mg - Actually referring to in town Charleston, not the beaches. For some reason it seems so much more humid there in the summer with no breezes. July/August. But I'll take those oysters at Pearlz on East Bay St. over Appalachicola oysters any day of the week. Love that place!

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
The guy in the video should not have taken matters into his own hands. He simply should have called the police and let them handle the situation! Seems like he was just lookin for a confrontation!

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
lol at informed supporter.
The guy with the stick threatening people on the beach.
Most people who visit here don't know where the imaginary fences are.

Mike, you lol but I don't think I need to address who is the more "informed supporter of the Constitution and property rights."

It is interesting how two people can view the same images and see two different outcomes. Again, I posted how I thought both parties should could have handled it differently in a previous post. Apparently you didn't read it. Did you see the older man threaten violence or brandish the 3 foot half-inch(?) stick and physically or verbally threaten anyone with the stick? I didn't. It wasn't a baseball bat, it was a stick. The uninvited people (on posted private property) started cussing the older man. I did see the younger guy get up from sitting on the sand and try to physically intimidate the older man, enough the older man felt threatened that the younger man might hit the older man, and the older man said as much. So who do you think was threatening physical violence?

You didn’t answer the question; “Mike, do you approve of the uninvited persons on private property and the way they handle it once the video started?

“imaginary fences?” Walton marks public beaches were beach vendors can setup chairs and umbrellas. Why can’t Walton mark where the miles of public beaches are? Then by default unmarked beaches are private property that the public should respect the legally recognized property rights of the upland owner. Just like your property. The Walton Sheriff operating procedure require property bounties be marked to enforce recognized property rights. The state of Florida has statues how to post private property boundaries. Instead of the county commissioners choosing to work with property owners, educate the public where public beaches are, and to respect private property rights; the county has chosen to violate property owners rights by enacting an ordinance, against the US Constitution and Florida statues, to prohibit posting property as private and marking property boundaries. Inciting this we vs them, the majority rules, we deserve it we should have it; even if it’s yours, mentality. So now the courts will decide and the tax payer will pay millions(?).

The public can walk and use all 26 miles of Walton beach foreshore seaward MHWL property boundaries. I think most littoral property owner do not wish to post signs or mark their property boundaries but they do expect the public to respect their legally recognized property rights that they have today. But if it's a choice between enforcing their property rights in accordance to FL statutes or not enforcing their legally recognized property rights and having the public claim possession of property rights that is titled and deeded to a private individual. What would you do if someone claimed use of your recognized private property?

Let’s stop with the hyperbole and name calling and let’s get informed and stick to the facts.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Marking beaches. What a croc!

Such a shame SoWal beaches were sold off back in the day when no one was looking. Unfortunately our courts have to waste time and tax dollars setting it right again. #customaryuse

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Such a shame SoWal beaches were sold off back in the day when no one was looking.
Maybe. But I'd like a further explanation of this "sell off"?

What is a REAL shame...
Is county & TDC leadership not aquiring beachfront and adjoining parking when they had the opportunity.
Too busy overpromoting the place to secure what it is your promoting.
But hey...TDC is sitting on 60 million in reserves, so all is good. :rolleyes:

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Marking beaches. What a croc!

Such a shame SoWal beaches were sold off back in the day when no one was looking. Unfortunately our courts have to waste time and tax dollars setting it right again. customary-use

Mike, you obviously don't read the posts. "Walton [already] marks public beaches [boundaries] were beach vendors can setup chairs and umbrellas."

We live in the now not yesterday and littoral MHWL property owners have all the property rights you have plus some others. I agree, but for different reasons, that the courts have to waste time and tax payers money trying to take recognized private property rights littoral owners have today on a narrow legal doctrine that has little chance of prevailing. But it's not the commissioners money, it's tax payer money, and they can just tax more. Plus they are politicians and they pander to the masses for votes regardless of the Constitutionality of their actions.

Do you know what the criteria is to claim common-law custom? I named one of them in a previous post.

But none of my comments have been about custom. I pointed out M1A1 error about SC property rights; which he still hasn't validated his statement with any facts, your comments about the trespass video and my question; "There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there and respect the owner’s property rights?" and your comment that the public does not know where legal property boundaries are.

You still haven't answered the question; "There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there [to the public beach park at Ed Wallin] and respect the owner’s property rights?"

And you still didn’t answer the question; “Mike, do you approve of the uninvited persons on private property and the way they handle it once the video started?” Can you explain your reasons too?

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
You still haven't answered the question; "There are over 6 miles of Walton public beaches and over 5,000 acres of parks with parking, restrooms, and camping. Why could these persons not go there [to the public beach park at Ed Wallin] and respect the owner’s property rights?" And you still didn’t answer the question; “Mike, do you approve of the uninvited persons on private property and the way they handle it once the video started?” Can you explain your reasons too?

I'm not Mike, but I'll gladly take a shot. I'm not much of an activist, but I did like to walk down the beaches of SoWal daily. Sometimes all the way from BMB to Seaside.

You've obviously never been to Ed Walline. Please refer to the earlier pictures that show beach access points covered with non-rented chairs at 0630.

On those daily jaunts down the beach I would encounter all types of beach "protectors", like the jerk in the video. What should he have done? Call the WCSO instead of confronting the people. See, that whole MHWL has been up for debate for years. Probably way before some idiot decided to allow you to buy something that most states think should be public property. The idiot landowner in the video instigates the argument, calls the the woman multiple names, and become belligerent before the trespassers. It's typical of the beach protectors. Outsiders with zero respect for people who have lived at, or visited, those beaches for decades before you ever saw the place. I still remember my first visit in 1973. It didn't look anything like it does today. And it will only get worse as more people like you want to control the beach.

The people on the Isle of Palms not only get unfettered access to the beach, but are allowed to park in the front yards of the multi-million dollar houses along the beach front. You see, in 1996, SC decided they had enough of people destroying the beach and began to take steps to control growth along the water. As long as you are 4 feet off the road, you can park in people's front yards. Imagine that happening in SoWal. You can walk the beach without hundreds of chairs lined up to block your way. You can walk in the sand without fear of an armed guard coming out to threaten you away, even though you are in 6" of water. (As a side note, I was one told I had to get out of the water at Seaside by some rent a cop. I did not and suggested they call the WCSO. WCSO never showed up.)

I suppose it's going to take a CAT 5 enema to clean all the greedy people out and return it to what it once was.