• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Looks a good conversation taking place here. Most of you already know how I feel about this topic. Again nobody who is polarized regarding this topic (private/public/custom) will have their minds changed by anything said by anyone, anytime or anywhere. I just hope we can remain civil when we run into each other at the Blue Mountain Creamery.

Lucas, your succinct factual presentation is like looking at artwork. Some don't understand it. But for those who do, it is a work of beauty. Are you a lawyer? Never mind, don't answer that.

Quick question for anyone...regarding the Beach_Ownership map above, why in the world does Pennsylvania have a color?

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Lucas, your succinct factual presentation is like looking at artwork. Some don't understand it. But for those who do, it is a work of beauty. Are you a lawyer? Never mind, don't answer that.

Already asked and answered on page 12. Nope not a lawyer. Just an informed supporter of the Constitution and property rights.

You are likely right. It's hard to unfreeze positions if you don't know the facts. The Walton BCC should be leading the way to get the facts out and educate the public about property rights starting with themselves instead of polarizing the the issues like in the recent primaries. Education, not hyperbole, uninformed opinion and name calling will help.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
So should the public be able to use coastal lake owners private property, docks, pools to fish, sunbath, swim, and have fun?
Should property owners have to remove there fixtures and return the land to "... the incredible beauty and spirituality of our coast."?

If I had to live 100 or 1,000 years ago or today with plumbing, electricity, air conditioning, and the rule of law and property rights Americans have today - I'll pick today.
You drove right past the point at full speed.

Lucas Reynolds

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Oyster Lake was a paradise for native Americans. Ancient oyster mounds show an abundance of easy protein. Fish and other wildlife were there for the taking. And we know of the incredible beauty and spirituality of our coast. Lives were well lived long before fences and ditches.

Anyone not able to connect with this glorious past and pay respect to the land is a lost soul. Expecting to own the beach and exclude others is a path to ruin.

You drove right past the point at full speed.

I get it. If everyone would be one with nature like it was in the past, life would be simpler, and we would not have private property and strife and everyone would be happy. Wonderful sentiment but not realistic in today’s world or in history. There was as much or more strife for native peoples as there are now. Let’s deal with today; I’m at peace with that. I’m glad you weren’t advocating taking rights property owners have earned and are recognized today because the only way is to turn back time. You can’t unscramble the omelet. Not sure I’d want to go back, not learn more about the world, and not experience the wonders of today that was not available in the past. Time stands still for no one. Besides I’d rather get my oysters and protein from the restaurant.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Looks a good conversation taking place here. Most of you already know how I feel about this topic. Again nobody who is polarized regarding this topic (private/public/custom) will have their minds changed by anything said by anyone, anytime or anywhere. I just hope we can remain civil when we run into each other at the Blue Mountain Creamery.

Quick question for anyone...regarding the Beach_Ownership map above, why in the world does Pennsylvania have a color?

The banana pudding ice cream is so dang good.

While it may seem as though some people's versions of "facts", sound good, I asked the person who told me that the MHWL was not the simple answer in most places to explain SC laws. Instead, I got the link: Code of Laws - Title 48 - Chapter 39 - Coastal Tidelands And Wetlands

There is no clear and irrefutable law on this. In fact, SC has gone all the way to the USS, and lost, on this very issue after they changed the laws regarding building on the beach. And yes, SC does allow private beach, in limited areas, primarily on outer islands.

But what really matters is this. I can walk the entire length of Isle of Palms and only see signs marking private property on wooden beach walks. So you have to ask yourself, why can the people of Isle of Palms share their beach, and their front yards, while the people of SoWal demand that theirs be kept private?

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I get it. If everyone would be one with nature like it was in the past, life would be simpler, and we would not have private property and strife and everyone would be happy. Wonderful sentiment but not realistic in today’s world or in history. There was as much or more strife for native peoples as there are now. Let’s deal with today; I’m at peace with that. I’m glad you weren’t advocating taking rights property owners have earned and are recognized today because the only way is to turn back time. You can’t unscramble the omelet. Not sure I’d want to go back, not learn more about the world, and not experience the wonders of today that was not available in the past. Time stands still for no one. Besides I’d rather get my oysters and protein from the restaurant.
No you don't get it and you likely never will.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
But what really matters is this. I can walk the entire length of Isle of Palms and only see signs marking private property on wooden beach walks. So you have to ask yourself, why can the people of Isle of Palms share their beach, and their front yards, while the people of SoWal demand that theirs be kept private?

Is it possibly because they have been renourished? And I assume (sincerely hope) you mean the sandy beach when you say share "their front yards".

Beach Restoration - Isle of Palms