• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
This came up in the Sunshine Shuttle thread. I have no doubt the article with the little city of Dayton Beach Shores litigating against Volusia County is a foreshadow of what will happen with the incorporation of the city of SoWal under the leadership of those like Dave Rauschkolb, David Pleat, Jacquee Markel, and others like them who will likely want to spend our tax dollars on their agenda like customary-take and costly Government real estate "un-investment" with tax payers money. Only Pleat and other attorneys will benefit then. That’s why I won’t vote for incorporation. At least Walton BCC is the devil I know and I won’t have to fight both the City and County tax and spend agendas on things outside of safety, security, sanitation that governments should focus tax dollars on.

Jan 2017 Volusia postpones parking lot plan at Shores plots
Apr 2017 Volusia County-Daytona Beach Shores legal fight looms

As a side note; will Walton beachfront property owners who do not reside here (majority?) and would have to pay (majority of?) city and county taxes get to vote on any referendum to incorporate? If not, why not?

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
This came up in the Sunshine Shuttle thread. I have no doubt the article with the little city of Dayton Beach Shores litigating against Volusia County is a foreshadow of what will happen with the incorporation of the city of SoWal under the leadership of those like Dave Rauschkolb, David Pleat, Jacquee Markel, and others like them who will likely want to spend our tax dollars on their agenda like customary-take and costly Government real estate "un-investment" with tax payers money. Only Pleat and other attorneys will benefit then. That’s why I won’t vote for incorporation. At least Walton BCC is the devil I know and I won’t have to fight both the City and County tax and spend agendas on things outside of safety, security, sanitation that governments should focus tax dollars on.

Jan 2017 Volusia postpones parking lot plan at Shores plots
Apr 2017 Volusia County-Daytona Beach Shores legal fight looms

As a side note; will Walton beachfront property owners who do not reside here (majority?) and would have to pay (majority of?) city and county taxes get to vote on any referendum to incorporate? If not, why not?

The main reason I would see beachfront property owners supporting incorporating is that currently their interests are not being represented appropriately, reasonably or fairly at the county level. This is why local governments get formed - so they can directly represent the needs, concerns and interests of the local population. If the District 5 commissioner was doing his job we wouldn't be where we are - in my view we have no representation at the county - all our concerns get a polite listen and then they are ignored. Prove me wrong - show me where that's not been the case. That's why I will vote for incorporation.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The main reason I would see beachfront property owners supporting incorporating is that currently their interests are not being represented appropriately, reasonably or fairly at the county level. This is why local governments get formed - so they can directly represent the needs, concerns and interests of the local population. If the District 5 commissioner was doing his job we wouldn't be where we are - in my view we have no representation at the county - all our concerns get a polite listen and then they are ignored. Prove me wrong - show me where that's not been the case. That's why I will vote for incorporation.
I will only direct you to follow what is going on in Destin with regard to the relationship with the county, beach access, public safety and the like. I more than likely won't have a vote in the incorporation issue but I don't have to look far to say those would be my concerns.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
The main reason I would see beachfront property owners supporting incorporating is that currently their interests are not being represented appropriately, reasonably or fairly at the county level.
I agree. Not only unreasonably and unfairly but actively working and spending tax payer MILLION$ against private property rights.
This is why local governments get formed - so they can directly represent the needs, concerns and interests of the local population. If the District 5 commissioner was doing his job we wouldn't be where we are - in my view we have no representation at the county - all our concerns get a polite listen and then they are ignored.
Again, agree about BCC ineptness. BUT I trust the "Better" SoWal leadership about as much or LESS than the past, current, or future Walton BCC. IMO property owners will have to fight the (1) county [the devil I know] AND (2) city [the devil I don't know] for individual freedoms, minimal government, taxation, economic freedom, and private property rights. Just look at the city of Dayton Beach Shores and Destin in Okaloosa county.
Prove me wrong - show me where that's not been the case. That's why I will vote for incorporation.
Does anybody know; will (1) ALL south Walton property owners and (2) residents get to vote on any incorporation referendum? If not, why not?
I'd be willing to bet the "Better" SoWal leaders would not support ALL south Walton property owners getting to vote on a referendum.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I agree. Not only unreasonably and unfairly but actively working and spending tax payer MILLION$ against private property rights.

Again, agree about BCC ineptness. BUT I trust the "Better" SoWal leadership about as much or LESS than the past, current, or future Walton BCC. IMO property owners will have to fight the (1) county [the devil I know] AND (2) city [the devil I don't know] for individual freedoms, minimal government, taxation, economic freedom, and private property rights. Just look at the city of Dayton Beach Shores and Destin in Okaloosa county.

Does anybody know; will (1) ALL south Walton property owners and (2) residents get to vote on any incorporation referendum? If not, why not?
I'd be willing to bet the "Better" SoWal leaders would not support ALL south Walton property owners getting to vote on a referendum.
I would not see non resident property owners being allowed to vote. Although I did hear a gentleman from Alabama say his wife and him were going to register to vote in Florida so they could homestead in both places.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I would not see non resident property owners being allowed to vote. Although I did hear a gentleman from Alabama say his wife and him were going to register to vote in Florida so they could homestead in both places.
They better be careful with that. I don't know what Alabama's laws are, but homestead exemption fraud is a big deal here.

Examples of homestead fraud are:
1) The owner(s) claim homestead exemption, but permanent residence is elsewhere.
2) The owner(s) claim homestead exemption, but they rent the property to others for any portion of the year. (The exception is military homesteaders away from home due to orders).
3) The individual or family unit claim homestead exemption on more than one property (including a homestead exemption filed in another state).

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Under its current leadership, Incorporate SoWal will Fail. Simple as that.

Customary Use will also ultimately Fail after lots of $$$ spent and legal cases.

Regardless it's :popcorn: and see.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Why shouldn't non-resident property owners NOT be allowed to vote? If 89% of property taxes generated in Walton County in 2016 were generated in South Walton [and a large % of 89% paid by non-resident beachfront owners] and a municipal council can charge new or revised fees or ad valorem taxes, why shouldn't ALL property owners have a vote? Not necessarily a question to you but general questions to "Better" SoWal leaders.