• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
A hat tip to a code enforcement guy yesterday in Seagrove who actually got out of the truck to check on a dog's beach permit (and the dog was leashed and properly permitted) and also got some glass bottles off the beach. Not sure what the deal is with the tents, because there were plenty.
If I'm reading the ordinances correctly tents are allowed on county or TDC access beaches as long as they do not exceed the size limitation (6'x6'). Tents of any size may be erected by private property owners or their guests on beaches that are private property.
A hat tip to a code enforcement guy yesterday in Seagrove who actually got out of the truck to check on a dog's beach permit (and the dog was leashed and properly permitted) and also got some glass bottles off the beach. Not sure what the deal is with the tents, because there were plenty.
If I'm reading the ordinances correctly the tent provisions only (1) restrict the size of tents erected on county or TDC controlled beach access beaches and (2) prohibit the public from erecting tents on privately owned beaches (even though under "customary use" the public may set up chairs and umbrellas that meet the size limitations on privately owned beaches). Private property owners and their guests may set up tents of any size on their own beaches- I assume unless restricted by their condo or neighborhood HOA. Neither the public nor private property owners may have glass containers on any beaches or unpermitted dogs (except for the animal exception for the 15 feet from the dune area for private property owners). Anyone disagree with my interpretation of the ordinances? If I'm correct then many of the tents you see may be erected by private property owners or their guests on private property not subject to a HOA or subject to a HOA which has not chosen to regulate tents erected on its beach by its members and their guests.

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
Is there a way to back out of paying taxes to fund this? I sure wish there was. My money is being wasted. More abuse from our elected officials.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
If I'm reading the ordinances correctly tents are allowed on county or TDC access beaches as long as they do not exceed the size limitation (6'x6'). Tents of any size may be erected by private property owners or their guests on beaches that are private property.

If I'm reading the ordinances correctly the tent provisions only (1) restrict the size of tents erected on county or TDC controlled beach access beaches and (2) prohibit the public from erecting tents on privately owned beaches (even though under "customary use" the public may set up chairs and umbrellas that meet the size limitations on privately owned beaches). Private property owners and their guests may set up tents of any size on their own beaches- I assume unless restricted by their condo or neighborhood HOA. Neither the public nor private property owners may have glass containers on any beaches or unpermitted dogs (except for the animal exception for the 15 feet from the dune area for private property owners). Anyone disagree with my interpretation of the ordinances? If I'm correct then many of the tents you see may be erected by private property owners or their guests on private property not subject to a HOA or subject to a HOA which has not chosen to regulate tents erected on its beach by its members and their guests.
Your interpretation regarding tents/canopies is correct. The assumption that most of the tents belong to owners or their guests is the fallacy; however, that is why the owner or their authorized agent is being required to report the issues. Many beachfront owners do not use tents/canopies or vendors, but since there are many that do, enforcement is more challenging.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
In Seacrest a couple of weeks ago and I saw an enforcement officer driving on the beach passing at least 3 tents. He didn't stop at any of them.

To be fair, do you know if they were larger than 6 foot by 6 foot?

Many are not and the ambiguity referenced in the aforementioned posts are what create this convenient "loop hole" in the policy.

The TDC doesn't care about enforcement, just the funding to pay for their "officers" and their benefits.

It is an Impression of Control (IOC) that gives the masses the falsity of enforcement without the actual action involved and the actual results.

There is a medium for the complaint but its so silly that its like waiting for a special meeting to report a stop sign runner that has left the area but is captured on film for months...

Set up to protect the tourists, protect those PAID employees and to disregard the wishes of those of us who pay for this!

Tourons Rule, Locals are Fools.

gailforce

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2015
Seacrest
I fill out that dumb online form for the TDC almost daily for tents that are bigger than 6x6. FYI ping pong table still on the beach, but the blow up couches went home! If/when TDC arrive on the beach, they just bump along all the huge holes and keep going. Except for Seagrove Code Enforcement guy in previous post from 30A Skunkape.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
All of the tents/canopies that I have seen have been over the 6'x6'x6' (generally the 10 foot ones and two 12 foot ones). In addition, at least 3 were on private property under the customary use ordinance and were reported by the owners. At least one was a 3+ day situation. Enforcement on the private properties apparently consists of telling the tent/canopy users that the owner reported and that they should use their tent elsewhere in the future or only use umbrellas less than 7 feet in diameter; however, they are not asked to take it down that day or subsequent days either even when it is reported again.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
TDC code enforcement is a complete joke. The only time I've seen them do anything at the beach is off-season when there are a few locals hanging out. Once, I even saw them try to harass a local for driving a small boat with a motor in Western Lake, which is allowed. I have actually seen deputies occasionally doing the job of TDC code enforcement during tourist season.