• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
30A restaurant closed for cockroaches

An upscale restaurant on Walton County Road 30A was closed May 24 after failing a routine inspection by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

The Havana Beach Club, located at The Pearl hotel, reopened the next day, according to inspection reports.

During the first inspection, three live roaches were found under the dish machine and 24 were found in a cooler. One live roach was found in the waitress station and 10 were found on the cook line, the report said. The presence of live roaches is considered a high-priority violation.

Less serious violations included a broken dishwasher, raw and undercooked food being offered without an advisory and black/green mold in the ice machine. The cutting board was also damaged and could not be cleaned properly, the report said.

When the inspector returned the next day, extensions were given to fix problems with the ice machine and dishwasher. The restaurant was also given time to notify customers of the dangers of raw/undercooked food, the follow-up report said. The restaurant was also given an extension to replace the cutting board.

The roaches were gone, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Hotel/Restaurant managed by St Joe Club & Resorts.
And why is that important?
Nothing, other than they put themselves out there as managers of 5 star resorts and get closed because of cockroaches and mold in the kitchen, neither of which I presume occurred over night and hence was likely known to management. Kitchen hygiene, especially in a 5 star resort shouldn't be a stretch to achieve.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Nothing, other than they put themselves out there as managers of 5 star resorts and get closed because of cockroaches and mold in the kitchen, neither of which I presume occurred over night and hence was likely known to management. Kitchen hygiene, especially in a 5 star resort shouldn't be a stretch to achieve.
It's cuban inspired "old Havana" - - - roaches are required.

It is Forbe's 4 star ...
Four Star Properties: These are exceptional properties, offering high levels of service and quality of facility to match. (may have cockroaches)

that last part in parentheses is mine. :lol:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Seems the President's restaurant in Palm Beach was recently closed for health violations. Just saying it can happen anywhere.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
It's Florida and there are bugs. It is a ongoing battle in every single restaurant. It's difficult to eliminate every single roach from a restaurant, but you can come close.

If you visit a restaurant and you encounter fruit flies, that is double red flag. Fruit flies can easily be prevented so if they are present that says to me, pure laziness..