• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The vendor(s) at / near Pompano Joe's has now dug deep troughs at the waterline so that the pooling water from high tide will drain out...

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
People say these chairs are already paid for and that may or may not be completely true. Some vacation rentals include chair set ups as a part of their package so there are set-ups for people sitting there all week with no intention of being used. I wouldn't have an issue with the chair service if they were set up when the customer arrives and then removed when they leave, but that's not likely ever going to happen.

It is unfair to the tourists and locals to have to compete with empty chairs and professional businessess for a space on our PUBLIC beaches. Vacations should be relaxing and shouldn't require 5am wake-ups to claim a spot on the beach.

In my eyes, a simple fix to much of this issue would be to deny set-ups before 9 or 10am. This would give people plenty of time to "claim their spot" and would mitigate the taking over of 50% of the beach.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
People say these chairs are already paid for and that may or may not be completely true. Some vacation rentals include chair set ups as a part of their package so there are set-ups for people sitting there all week with no intention of being used. I wouldn't have an issue with the chair service if they were set up when the customer arrives and then removed when they leave, but that's not likely ever going to happen.

It is unfair to the tourists and locals to have to compete with empty chairs and professional businessess for a space on our PUBLIC beaches. Vacations should be relaxing and shouldn't require 5am wake-ups to claim a spot on the beach.

In my eyes, a simple fix to much of this issue would be to deny set-ups before 9 or 10am. This would give people plenty of time to "claim their spot" and would mitigate the taking over of 50% of the beach.
Another easy fix! Make laws and enforce a 10-20' set back from wet sand for vendors. i.e. Like PCB

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Speaking as a fourth generation local, beach propertyowner, full time resident and parent of kids who work for beach chair vendors every summer, who has NEVER rented a beach chair in my life, I can't resist commenting on this thread. First, let me restate I have personally never rented from a vendor. I typically carry a bag, a chair, and a small umbrella when I walk down to the beach. I also choose to live at the less crowded west end of the beach where there are very few vendor setups. However, we have a lot of friends and family who come from other states to stay at our beaches. I try to look at this from their perspective.They save all year to come to Walton county's beaches for one or two weeks, usually coming in huge droves with extended family for a reunion type vacation. Most we know stay at seaside or watercolor or rosemary or other resort areas where there are services, like beach chairs. They go online as soon as they know their dates and reserve their seats. They pay for them in advance, rain or shine. . They are happy to do it because they don't want to bring 14 chairs and umbrellas in their cars or on a plane. It's their vacation and they are willing to spend lots of money to be comfortable and unencumbered. They know in advance exactly where their chairs will be because they choose them in advance. (Just like we do when we buy tickets to a concert or broadway play- the best seats go fast and cost more). Some days they decide to go shopping, or stay in the pool, but they have paid for the seats, and the vendor has no idea whether they are coming down to the beach each day or what time. So YES you see empty seats. should we require the vacationer to stay seated in the chairs at all times?! Despite what some people on this thread seem to think, we NEED these tourists. I lived in this county when San Destin was about the Only place for a teenager to get a job. No outlet malls, no movie theater, no Commons, and a handful of restaurants. (Personally I loved it like that but there's no unringing that bell). The vendors are not these greedy people you like to think they are. They are providing a service that the tourists want! They provide jobs to hundreds of local kids. And to the person above laughing about the chairs in the water.....that's done purposely because in case you haven't noticed there's a Tide that goes out AFTeR the chairs are set up.
Great post with good points, but many locals who moved here develop a drawbridge mentality once they purchase their piece of paradise.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Speaking as a fourth generation local, beach propertyowner, full time resident and parent of kids who work for beach chair vendors every summer, who has NEVER rented a beach chair in my life, I can't resist commenting on this thread. First, let me restate I have personally never rented from a vendor. I typically carry a bag, a chair, and a small umbrella when I walk down to the beach. I also choose to live at the less crowded west end of the beach where there are very few vendor setups. However, we have a lot of friends and family who come from other states to stay at our beaches. I try to look at this from their perspective.They save all year to come to Walton county's beaches for one or two weeks, usually coming in huge droves with extended family for a reunion type vacation. Most we know stay at seaside or watercolor or rosemary or other resort areas where there are services, like beach chairs. They go online as soon as they know their dates and reserve their seats. They pay for them in advance, rain or shine. . They are happy to do it because they don't want to bring 14 chairs and umbrellas in their cars or on a plane. It's their vacation and they are willing to spend lots of money to be comfortable and unencumbered. They know in advance exactly where their chairs will be because they choose them in advance. (Just like we do when we buy tickets to a concert or broadway play- the best seats go fast and cost more). Some days they decide to go shopping, or stay in the pool, but they have paid for the seats, and the vendor has no idea whether they are coming down to the beach each day or what time. So YES you see empty seats. should we require the vacationer to stay seated in the chairs at all times?! Despite what some people on this thread seem to think, we NEED these tourists. I lived in this county when San Destin was about the Only place for a teenager to get a job. No outlet malls, no movie theater, no Commons, and a handful of restaurants. (Personally I loved it like that but there's no unringing that bell). The vendors are not these greedy people you like to think they are. They are providing a service that the tourists want! They provide jobs to hundreds of local kids. And to the person above laughing about the chairs in the water.....that's done purposely because in case you haven't noticed there's a Tide that goes out AFTeR the chairs are set up.

You have one of us fooled....

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
It's only going to get worse. At last night's BCC meeting the TDC apologized that the year to date bed tax numbers were only up 11% and summer numbers were only up 7%. That is insane growth, no wonder we are having so many problems.