• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
also - it wasn't until the beach front owners stated putting up fences and signs on the beach in and about 2012 that this battle started.

the county was REACTING to the beach front owners - not trying to take anything away from you.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
also - it wasn't until the beach front owners stated putting up fences and signs on the beach in and about 2012 that this battle started.

the county was REACTING to the beach front owners - not trying to take anything away from you.

I keep hearing/reading about all these signs and fences? I've seen very few of those. Where were all of these signs and fences people keep talking about? A few is not a lot. If you are talking about signs at resort type places or condos, maybe it's because they don't have a lot of room left for people who aren't paying to stay there and the ones who are paying may be paying dearly for those beach spaces. Frankly, if someone doesn't want me on their property, I'd rather move than be confrontational about it. For every one person that wants NOBODY on their property, there seem to be a lot who are fine with respectful people on theirs.

gailforce

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2015
Seacrest

We need a county commission that is mature enough not to just react and honest enough to follow the letter of the law.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
I heard the beachfront property owners made a secret deal with Governor Scott and he agreed with them and customary use is going down.

that is how it all works with you guys?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I heard the beachfront property owners made a secret deal with Governor Scott and he agreed with them and customary use is going down.

that is how it all works with you guys?
"customary use is going down." The lack of understanding still amazes me. The BCC can still claim the narrow common law doctrine of custom on the 20 miles of Walton private property. The BCC just has to prove it in court as the Plaintiff like the BCC should have done on the first place. How much has the BCC wasted on Theriaque's $425/hr legal advice to date?

"...secret deal..."? Innuendo and conspiracy theories? Sound paranoid. Gun toting beachfront owners? Fences every five feet?
How about we are a nation of laws, facts and evidence, the Constitution, of which private property rights are key, due process, where the Plaintiff (BCC) have the burden of proof not the private property owner.

Elements to prove custom do not include Walton's economics, a popularity vote, and Tona Rama did NOT apply to the whole state of Florida but to 225 sq ft of sand on Daytona Beach.

Walton BCC failed at due process with declaring customary rights for everyone in the United States but the property owner on the 20 miles of the private beachfront properties in Walton County and the State legislature and Governor (hopefully) had step in to ensure Walton and other counties don't do it again. Walton BCC Chapman, Comader, C. Jones, Anderson, I'm reserving judgment on Nipper, past BCC Meadows, Imfeld, and Larry Jones were and are inept managing Walton tax payer's hundreds of million$ of hard earned money annually and County growth that are the reasons we are in this mess. Where the BCC policy is "... so sue me ..." because it's not their money. Make BCC members individually contribute 10% each of any litigation costs and damages the BCC does not prevail in and you would get a whole different vote on private property rights.

Why is the 32,000+ feet of public beaches and 5,000+ acres in Greyton, Topsail, and Deer Lake parks with bathrooms, parking and camping (although no dogs, driving on the beaches, or alcohol) not good enough for the BCC and you?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Maybe this is another thread but why is Imfeld still employed by Walton County (after he voted for customary use and lost his BCC seat)? Good ol boy network?
What is the budget of the Walton County Economic Development Alliance (WCEDA)?
What has the WCEDA accomplished since Imfeld was hired? Or before, for that matter?
What is the Walton tax payer's real dollar WCEDA return on investment? Not some made up stat.
Why does Imfeld have Latin(?) on the WCEDA web site? Not sure many American companies do business in Walton County not in English.
Walton County EDA - Organizational Resources

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
And you deny that Walton county beach front owners met with Governor Scott and made a SECRET DEAL?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob, you were around for the 2015 Walton BCC and Army Corps of Engineer (ACE) beach fortification fiasco. As I recall about 95% of beach front owners declined Walton’s 50 year easement and 3.8 million cubic yards of off-shore, less than white, shell ridden tax payer paid sand mostly because owners did not agree to an Erosion Control Line (ECL) that would separate their littoral property (by definition contacts the water) boundary from the Gulf waters making their property water view instead of water front that owners paid a premium for. Including me. The white quartz beaches have been here for tens of thousands of years, I’m told. Look at the Walton beach aerial photos from the 1940s and compare them to today. Not much difference where the shoreline is now. How many hurricanes has Walton experienced since the 1940s? I’ll take my chances with my money, land title, and the bundle of rights I have had and have today. If you, the public, or Walton BCC want it and I’m willing to sell it you’ll have to pay fair market value for it to use it. Or go to court as a Plaintiff with the burden of proof and prove it first BEFORE you can declare private property for customary public use.

And I hope you don’t quibble about government flood insurance giving the public rights to private property unless you are going to apply the same logic to the flood victims in middle America too. Besides most owners I know, including me, self insure their premises or purchase additional private flood insurance because the $250K property and $100K contents FEMA insurance is not sufficient.

Bob, you seem like an informed guy but you missed the mark with this comment. I and I think many other littoral beach front owners are willing to share our littoral property with those strolling on the beach, like we have in the past, but that does not mean we gave up the property rights we have had and have today. If the BCC want to take our property rights I am willing to fight and will not be so willing to share in the future. Would you if your property rights you pay taxes on were being taken by local government declaration? What if beach front property owners prevail in court? Then what is the BCC and public going to do? Declare martial law?

Beach front owners have made suggestions like Mike Huckabee’s 2016 “Beach Share”.
EDITORIAL: 'Beach Share' worth reviewing in South Walton
I did not see the Walton BCC even acknowledge Beach Share plan and Dave Rauschkolb dismissed it out of hand and has declared "This sand is your sand, this sand is my sand!!" In Oct 25, 2016 Commissioner Comander declared her willingness to spend $40,000,000 or $50,000,000 of Walton tax payer dollars if we have to. Which means to me the BCC just want to take all private beach for inept unconstitutional reasons and a quick fix for the BCC's failure to manage growth.
Board of County Commissioners on 2016-10-25 9:00 AM - Regular Meeting - Oct 25th, 2016
FloridaBeachBum
I appreciate the info and respect your point of view, but I believe I have said that I will accept a courts ruling.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
then why has this not been a problem for the last 50 years? because the beach front owners then were not entitled and pompous - and did not build big high houses that blocked everyones view.

they were just thankful to be here.
Have you ever asked any of them? Interesting to me that so many think they KNOW what beachfront owners do or do not think, but I sure don't see many people trying to actually TALK to the beachfront owners to find out what they really think. This apparently even holds true for our "leaders". Try asking, maybe getting to know some of them, instead of assuming the worst all the time.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
And you deny that Walton county beach front owners met with Governor Scott and made a SECRET DEAL?
I neither confirm or deny any property owner secret deal with the Governor. That should really spin up the conspiracies.
I'd guess the Governor meeting in secret with anyone would be a Sunshine law violation.
I'd guess many property owners lobbied the legislator and Governor in the Sunshine with facts about the declaration of custom on private property by local governments. Unlike the misinformation Tony Anderson, C. Jones, and Walton $425/hr attorney Theriaque did in person. You (and me) and tax payers pay Walton's lobbyist too. In addition Dave R's Surf Rider provided misinformation during the legislative session too.