• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
July Bed Tax numbers were up 4% over 2017. The approximate TDT (Tourist Development Tax) collection for July was $5,337,266, which is an increase of $208,109 over the previous year. Year-to-date collections are currently at approximately $21,000,051, an increase of 8.49% from the same time in 2017.

The Tourist Development tax, or bed tax, is a four percent tax collected on hotels, condos and other short-term rentals. It is the best way to gauge visitation and demand trends in South Walton. The revenue supports tourism marketing and beach operations including cleaning and maintaining beaches, lifeguards, destination improvements and preservation initiatives.

what would you do with $21+ million?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Money, money, money, money... images of The Donald entering his private jet...

Oops, sorry, lost my train of thought...

Is there any way to find out the estimate of the number of PEOPLE that inhabit these beaches during the summer. I was wondering if they are all going to fit on the "3 miles" of free public beach left...

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Gotta change the Ordinance(s) that prescribe how much goes where. Maybe take the "penny" dedicated to beach renourishment and put it toward purchasing beachfront. Just a thought.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
July Bed Tax numbers were up 4% over 2017. The Tourist Development tax, or bed tax, is a four percent tax collected on hotels, condos and other short-term rentals. It is the best way to gauge visitation and demand trends in South Walton.
Geez, I thought without customary use Walton county economy would implode into a great depression. Another fake fact from customary users.
All FL coastal counties but two do not have customary use and their economies are growing like Walton's too.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
We have not seen the impact of CU in Walton County since most rentals are booked up to a year in advance.

L.C. Bane

Beach Fanatic
Aug 8, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Geez, I thought without customary use Walton county economy would implode into a great depression. Another fake fact from customary users.
All FL coastal counties but two do not have customary use and their economies are growing like Walton's too.

I'm not so sure. CU reached fever pitch this summer and rental reservations are made well in advance. The larger resort commuities wont feel it as much.

Your neighbors just to the north (across the street) on the other hand... time will tell.

They need to make their guest aware of property rights and property boundries on beaches when booking reservations. Maybe a mandate is in order for everyones protection.

I guess we all should consider ourselves lucky that 50% of the public beach is "available". According to ECAR this is paradise.

Don't worry. You should be fine. Maybe better! I would think that the premiums for a beach front house has gone up considerably. According to ECAR nows the time to sell! or is it buy?? Sorry, I have a hard time keeping up with what time it is.

Oh and a reminder to bfo's, pick up the trash in your yard. We aren't doing that for you any more.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Oh and a reminder to bfo's, pick up the trash in your yard. We aren't doing that for you any more.
And dont forget to wear a mask now that red tide is here. Those fish get really smelly and the flies are HORRIBLE around them.