• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Andy Marlette's opinion piece and political cartoon were published in a legitimate area newspaper which has a history of covering the customary use issue. You may not agree with his interpretation of the events regarding Huckabee and the overall issues. But it is based on actual facts. Many do agree with this piece based on Huckabee's own words and actions that have been made public. It isn't a conspiracy. Though you may have a different perspective of his motives.

It is my personal preference to post legitimate sources here or elsewhere. You may have different standards. And that is your choice. No one is saying otherwise.
The point is - it was not just Huckbee - it was many-many of the 1,000 beachfront owners and some non-beachfront owners writing and lobbing for, just like Walton lobbied against, legislation who said the same thing. Just because he's a celebrity that gives him no Svengali affect on 148 legislators - including local Brad Drake who voted for HB631. To say otherwise is a baseless conspiracy theory that Huckabee started or influenced the FL legislators - many-many beachfront owners did. Legislators voted to ensure NO local government, not just Walton, could usurp the Constitution and was the legal and just thing to do to protect individual property rights - approved by a super majority and Governor. Just like you would want your Constitutional property rights protected.
You are the forum Staff Member, it's your forum, and you get to determine what is legitimate and what is not. Thanks for the opportunity to post other facts and opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
I am a lowly resident who moved to a little beach town not ruled by the elite - but unfortunately now ruled by the elite.

Quiet titles to own to the water line is a travesty that should have never taken place.

I expected better of Huckabee - being a former pastor.

I guess I truly don't get why he and others don't want people enjoying the beach.

I think for the vast majority have treated to beaches with respect - even cleaning up trash left by others.

I don't want the mass development or beach vender chairs any more than you do.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The point is - it was not just Huckbee - it was many-many of the 1,000 beachfront owners and some non-beachfront owners writing and lobbing for, just like Walton lobbied against, legislation who said the same thing. Just because he's a celebrity that gives him no Svengali affect on 148 legislators - including local Brad Drake who voted for HB631. To say otherwise is a baseless conspiracy theory that Huckabee started or influenced the FL legislators - many-many beachfront owners did. Legislators voted to ensure NO local government, not just Walton, could usurp the Constitution and was the legal and just thing to do to protect private individual rights - approved by a super majority and Governor.
You are the forum Staff Member, it's your forum, and you get to determine what is legitimate and what is not. Thanks for the opportunity for other facts and opinions.

I haven't heard that there were nearly that many beach front owners writing and pushing for HB631. Most of the BFOs I've heard from are on the customary use side or like the rest of are frustrated with beach vendors and enforcement.. So this is interesting. We could use some solid numbers.

Let me clarify. This is not my forum. I am a contributing member of the community and this forum like you or anyone else. My staff work has to do with website content, events, music, receiving updates and press releases from towns and businesses and passing on anything newsy to our readers, announcing new restaurants and other good news happening around town... and work with nonprofit groups and organizations, covering Florida State Parks events, South Walton Sea Turtles and many more outstanding local groups.

I do not moderate though I do answer any questions from posters when I get them via personal message, help people and businesses navigate the forum and learn their way around... and refer any concerns sent my way to the moderator. I also do social media and help run a photography gallery. Our tiny staff wear many hats. It's a privilege to be a part of the community both online and off.

Technically this forum belongs to the community. Users decide how they want to use it. It's taken many directions over the course of nearly 15 years. The SoWal.com publisher/editor oversees it, maintains it and moderates as needed.

Thank you for taking the time to post from your experience and perspective. We need every voice. This community is worth it.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Huckabee started this war - which now pits neighbor against neighbor. Great Christian thing to do.

We only want to use the beaches as we had before he got here.

This impacts all of us - we have every right to be mad as hell.

It is highly selfish of BFOs to deny our use of the beaches and even go as far as denying trash pick up.
If Jesus walked Blue Mountain Beach he'd be a dirty hippy CU fool. Unwelcome and suspected of being gay.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I am a lowly resident who moved to a little beach town not ruled by the elite - but unfortunately now ruled by the elite.

Quiet titles to own to the water line is a travesty that should have never taken place.

I expected better of Huckabee - being a former pastor.

I guess I truly don't get why he and others don't want people enjoying the beach.

I think for the vast majority have treated to beaches with respect - even cleaning up trash left by others.

I don't want the mass development or beach vender chairs any more than you do.
Huckabee is pastor in name only it's part of his con.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
That is what I now think - and what makes this so hard to fathom.

I agree - Jesus would have been the lowly guy walking the beach - and thinking "I made this for all my children"

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Huckabee is Huckabee. He doesn't bother me one way or the other. I don't agree with any his politics or his use of religion for gain. Because for him it's just business.. He's been known to be a supporter of this community in many ways. Many here like him. I ignore him mostly.

However he is a well known, vocal political figure who is directly involved in this controversial local issue. He knew that his stance would not be a popular one here and said as much. His role isn't a conspiracy. It is reality. He isn't bothered by those who don't agree with him in the least. Why are you? He knows his actions will make him a target for criticism because that is what he does best. Politics. Like him or not.

I will not accuse him of being un-Christian or anything of the sort. I will leave those tactics to him. An interesting kind of guy for sure.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
I am sorry it offends my faith in what is right -

I think men of God should look after the less fortunate - ones who can't own beach front.

Ones who did not do dirty tricks like quiet title the dry sand that is not taxed because it is unbuildable.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Huckabee is Huckabee. He doesn't bother me one way or the other. I don't agree with any his politics or his use of religion for gain. Because for him it's just business. He doesn't offend me. He's been known to be a supporter of this community in many ways.

However he is a well known, vocal political figure who is directly involved in this controversial local issue. He knew that his stance would not be a popular one here and said as much. His role isn't a conspiracy. It is reality. He isn't bothered by those who don't agree with him in the least. Why are you? He knows his actions will make him a target for criticism because that is what he does best. Politics. Like him or not.

I will not accuse him of being un-Christian or anything of the sort. I will leave those tactics to him. An interesting guy for sure.
Really? Do you also believe evolution is a hoax by liberals? Homosexuals are sinners? The apocalypse is "winning"?

Read this and get back to us
Political positions of Mike Huckabee - Wikipedia

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Really? Do you also believe evolution is a hoax by liberals? Homosexuals are sinners? The apocalypse is "winning"?

Read this and get back to us
Political positions of Mike Huckabee - Wikipedia

I don't agree with any of his political stances or anything he says or does. He is what he is. I have never been interested in him at all. I choose to ignore him. But I hear you. Sometimes we need to pay attention when others are being hurt.

Like any politician he is subject to public scrunity. Go for it.