• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jcpd2

Beach Lover
Aug 31, 2008
This one looks like it will blow up quickly once it reaches the open Gulf. Looks like the Governor is declaring a state of emergency. This is the kind of storm that may come in quicker than an evacuation can take place. Let’s hope it turns more east.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
When TS Alberto blew in, it seemed to blow the yellow flies to smithereens. Let's hope Michael will get rid of the red tide.

I grew up over Biloxi way, and don't remember the coincidence of red tide and a TS/H. Any of the lifetimers here ever remember red tide when a storm blows in and what happens? Does it just spread it into the hinterlands or churn it away?

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
"
“The hopeful one is that strong winds from the hurricane blow red tide offshore,” says Hastings.

But if Tropical Storm Michael turns into a rain maker, it could be bad news .

“The heavy rain will dilute farm and agriculture areas of all the nutrients, nitrates, phosphates and rain them into the beaches and coastal areas that serve to fertilize the red tide, exactly what we don’t want,” explains Hastings.

Dr. Hastings says heavy rain and runoff could turn the already 145-mile-long bloom that stretches more than 10 miles out into the Gulf into an even bigger algae bloom.

“If there are a lot of nutrients released into the water from the heavy rain, it would be a bad thing and it doesn’t matter how close the storm is. I think it’s a likely possibility,” says Hastings.

With millions of dollars going towards research, Dr. Hastings says it’s time money went to better regulation.

“Eight to 10 years ago, our water management districts were excellent, were better at monitoring, but in the last eight to 10 years, we’ve seen a decrease in monitoring and a decrease in concern for the nutrients going into the ocean,” says Hastings.

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Stay safe everyone! My bags are still packed. We were on our way at 6am this morning but have decided to hold off. I am thinking about all of you! Praying!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Stay safe everyone! My bags are still packed. We were on our way at 6am this morning but have decided to hold off. I am thinking about all of you! Praying!

Hey COS! Thanks for checking in. So sorry about the trip delay! Hopefully you can get down here soon. The Red tide has been pretty bad here lately.

Magic Hour

Beach Comber
May 11, 2005
Anybody know where gas is available in SoWal? Is there a reference web site for gas availability in our area. Convenience store clerks just looked at me and laughed when I asked when their truck as scheduled. Difficult for visitors to evacuate when gas availability is zero

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I saw on Facebook that there is a new shipment of gas at Tom Thumb at 331 and 98.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
Drive 25 miles north on 331 and purchase all the fuel you want. I went to gas station on hwy 90 ( away from interstate) and didn’t even have to wait in line.