• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Does it apply to beach front property owners as well? If the beaches are closed, then it should apply to all. I have no problem with closing the beaches, but giving special privilege to those who are fortunate to own beachfront properties really irks me.

We have a lot of details to be clarified on this emergency order to close public beaches. It may not be perfect but it's the right call for right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Does it apply to beach front property owners as well? If the beaches are closed, then it should apply to all. I have no problem with closing the beaches, but giving special privilege to those who are fortunate to own beachfront properties really irks me.

Wow, so you want to tell someone what they can and can't do on their property? Especially something as trivial as going out into their backyard?

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
Even though the county says they can't close private beaches, they certainly can close the water (think double red flags). This would be a further deterrent to short term renters.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This morning the Walton County Board of County Commissioners voted unanimously to pass an ordinance that will temporarily close all 26 miles of beach in Walton County to the public in order to slow or stop the spread of COVID-19. Board members struggled with this decision and acknowledged the devastating effects this will have for our local economy and jobs, but voted to pass the measure in hopes of saving lives of locals and visitors.

The action goes into effect immediately, and although owners of private beach still have legal access to their own property, board members are urging them to abide by the spirit of safety and caution they are putting forth county-wide.

The Walton County TDC will begin spreading this message immediately, and physically closing all beach accesses early tomorrow morning. The Walton County Sheriff’s Office has stated that they will be pushing for voluntary compliance, and pursuing an education-first response strategy.

These are unprecedented actions, and unprecedented times. We must stand together, and prepare to once again welcome visitors and the lifeblood that tourism brings to our economy as soon as conditions allow us to do so.

We are all in this together, and we are committed to help partner in any way that we can.

Best Regards,

Jay Tusa, CDME, CTIS, TMP
Executive Director
Walton County TDC
(850) 267-1216
Jay@VisitSouthWalton.com

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Like my mom used to say when i was growing up:
What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Wow, so you want to tell someone what they can and can't do on their property? Especially something as trivial as going out into their backyard?
Yes, and hope they have the conscience to help our community, which in a health crisis like this, extends to the entire globe.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Walton County BCC Directs Attorney to Draft Emergency Ordinance to Close Walton County Beaches

During today's emergency meeting of the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (WCBCC), the WCBCC approved a motion to direct the County Attorney to draw up an emergency ordinance to close the beaches in Walton County.

At their direction, the County Attorney's office will work on the ordinance and bring it to the board The board at 9 a.m. on Thursday March 19th as part of the recessed Emergency Meeting.

The WCBCC will reconvene at 9:00 am on Thursday, March 19th in the DeFuniak Springs Boardroom located at 571 US Hwy 90 in DeFuniak Springs.

In an abundance of caution, space will be limited. We will be practicing social distancing as per the CDC guidelines and will maintain the 6-foot rule.

This meeting is open to the public. Please be governed accordingly.

I love how they said they were going to practice "social distancing"; yet, they all passed around a single hand held microphone. Boneheads!

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
BREAKING: Okaloosa County Commissioners vote to close county beaches to the public. This comes after Walton County Commissioners voted to close their public beaches earlier this morning.
Are they allowing beachfront owners access to their beaches like we are?