• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Re: Prominence

Thanks for the update, josebby. Preservation in Prominence is an oxymoron. What is left to salvage?

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005

Walton developer?s Prominence still in doubt
By Heather Civil Florida Freedom Newspapers

Work on the first phase of Prominence, a mixeduse development on 79.2 acres off County 30A, is in full swing.
But whether work on the project?s next phases will move forward remains to be seen, as the developer hashes out details with Walton County?s planning staff.
Prominence is located on property along County 30A near WaterSound Beach. The phase under construction south of County 30A will include 25 homes, 23 row houses and a harbor.
The developer, Destinbased Deer Lake Development, wants the county to approve an application for a Development of Regional Impact for the remaining phases of the project. All large-scale developments such as Prominence must have DRI approval from the county before substantial construction can take place.
But Deer Lake Development is at odds with the county over whether sand pine scrub habitat on the property must be protected, said Brian Martinez, the county planner assigned to the Prominence DRI. The developer also is challenging the county?s assertion that the project must have a 20-foot vegetative buffer along County 30A, Martinez said.
The county said that an estimated 60 acres of the Prominence property is sand pine scrub habitat and at least half of those 60 acres must be preserved, Martinez said. ?We identify the site as sand pine scrub,? he said.
The developer disagreed, in part because it claims that the habitat is former timberland and therefore not a natural habitat in need of preservation, Martinez said.
The county approved an environmental management plan for the first phase of Prominence. The developer also contended that the approval exempts the project from the preservation requirements for the rest of the property, Martinez said.
If Deer Lake Development ends up having to preserve the habitat, it would be ?impossible to do the development as proposed,? Martinez said.
Prominence is slated to go to the county Planning Commission on Sept. 14. The commission already has delayed the issue twice because of issues with the DRI application.
After the Planning Commission hears the project, it will go to the County Commission for consideration.
Craig Thurmond, town planner on the project, is designing Prominence to be reminiscent of a small New England town. Plans for the project call for 650 residences, 12 bed-andbreakfast units, 120 hotel rooms, 200,000 square feet of office and commercial space, and a 13,000-squarefoot civic building.

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach

Actually, the movie theatre part will probably work fine as long as they show the Truman Show as their weekly movie. just kidding. Since I first heard the planners say that they wanted a movie theatre to be the anchor to the town, just like many small towns in the south used to have a Martin Theatre, I laughed because I have an idea of what the big movies cost to run them. However, if they show movies that are old and out on DVD's, they can probably pay show them for free as a form of babysitting. That would work. Don't hold your breath to see newly released movies at Prominence because the math just doesn't work.

A little more about my rant on Prominence over the last two days:
After further thought on my comments, I do want to say that I think the planners of Prominence did some good research to find things which make a town feel much like home. These things did include the "concept" of a variety of people from different socio-economic classes. They conveyed a vision of a real community filled with working class as well as the well to do. My real problem is that, while I agree with the things which they said made a real town, I knew then and know now, that it was impossible to pull off. Real estate prices were increasing at too high of a rate when Prominence was even in the conceptual phase a year and a half ago. I have stated before that I feel like SoWal is becoming much more monotone with every day that passes. I am referring to the people of SoWal? Living here, I do not encounter a wide mix of people, like when I first moved here only a short time ago. My frustration grows larger with the known problems of the future in SoWal, where we build more homes, without planning for the people who provide the services required in a resort community. If you think it is difficult to find a plumber today, wait 3 years down the road. I just hope SoWal does not go the way I see it where we have plenty of homes for the wealthy, but no services to keep them going.

In summary, my problem is not with Prominence. My problem is that the demand of property here has outpriced many cool artist-type and service oriented people from relocating here. Having been around so many average-income people in different towns, I have grown to miss their company and the diversity which they offer. I wish Prominence the best as they move forward.

I hope the movie theater is not a chain!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005

120 hotel rooms!:shock: Scuze me is that a fake lake or fenced in fake harbor? With all the natural beauty surrounding it, just seems kind of sacrelige to build an artificial anything right in the middle of it and also right on the scenic corridor between the natural beauty of the coastal dune lakes.:dunno: How are vacation homeowners supposed to compete with Inns and Hotels springing up right next door? What is the limit to these high volume rental units in South Walton already? Not to mention the impact to the beaches. The homes do appear beautiful.

Is the name supposed to reflect the feeling of the community though? :eek: Kinda boastful, isn't it?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

That dirty water pool is the run off water and is supposed to resemble being in New England on a harbour, even though it is close to 100F degrees here in the Summer. I guess they needed to be able to sell the homes at a higher price and thought that the water feature might help, and since the closest public beach access to Prominence is Deer Lake State Park, they might need some water. They should have made that a swimming pool. Now that would have been cool. Hello, we are not in New England. ;-)