• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
A friend just clued me into this site when I mentioned what a shame it was that there was no Zagat's for 30-A. It's been wonderful to find so much good advise. There is one feature of the Zagat's that is missing...the Dining Alone list. Always a godsend for business trips, I have used it everywhere and never minded eating out by myself. I am here for a few months and have made a few attempts to go out and it has been so uncomfortable. When I asked for a table for one, one hostess repeated loudly, "You're by yourself? No one else is coming?"

Any suggestions? Maybe a place where it's possible to eat at the bar?

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal
I recommend eating at the bar at Criolla's. The bartender is first class (as is the food). Same goes for Borago's.

The sushi bar at 331 also seems to have a number of solo diners, and the sushi is good.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
rapunzel said:
A friend just clued me into this site when I mentioned what a shame it was that there was no Zagat's for 30-A. It's been wonderful to find so much good advise. There is one feature of the Zagat's that is missing...the Dining Alone list. Always a godsend for business trips, I have used it everywhere and never minded eating out by myself. I am here for a few months and have made a few attempts to go out and it has been so uncomfortable. When I asked for a table for one, one hostess repeated loudly, "You're by yourself? No one else is coming?"

Any suggestions? Maybe a place where it's possible to eat at the bar?
The bar at Borago or Cafe 30A. Both are great places.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Wait staff here probably doesn't see too many singles dining.

I agree about the above suggestions. Also Fish Out of Water at WaterColor has a Sushi bar, Shades and Bud & Alley's, Smiling Fish, Royal Orchid, Pandora's. The Red Bar.

Let us know if you would like to meet somebody (or just let down your hair). ;-)

When I'm at the beach alone, I eat at the bar and talk to the bartender. Then I don't feel alone. It's actually fun.

But please don't read a book while dining alone. It makes you look pathetic. Someone was doing that at the bar at Taqueria Del Sol (ATL) when I was there recently. If you're that uncomfortable, get takeout.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
But please don't read a book while dining alone. It makes you look pathetic. Someone was doing that at the bar at Taqueria Del Sol (ATL) when I was there recently. If you're that uncomfortable, get takeout.

I like to call that time management. I could care less of what people think of me reading. Maybe they think, "that guy must be smart, I see him reading instead of watching Fox news on mute while he is dining." FYI - Not everyone thinks alike, Beach Runner. Reading a book while at lunch is also a way to keep to yourself when you don't want to talk to everyone. ;-)

Smiling JOe said:
I like to call that time management. I could care less of what people think of me reading. Maybe they think, "that guy must be smart, I see him reading instead of watching Fox news on mute while he is dining." FYI - Not everyone thinks alike, Beach Runner. Reading a book while at lunch is also a way to keep to yourself when you don't want to talk to everyone. ;-)
But I like to talk, in case you haven't noticed. :rotfl: I also like to watch sports on TV at the bar.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
But I like to talk, in case you haven't noticed. :rotfl: I also like to watch sports on TV at the bar.

Be careful, it "may make you look pathetic." :funn: :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Beach Runner said:

Reading is NOT pathetic BR!!!!! I find a good book or article very good company!!!