• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I'm beginning to wonder if WaterSound's Puttering Park is illegal based on the law shown by wrobert above. It certainly wouldn't qualify as a private golf course. Brings to question a Par 3 course. I'm guessing that would be a public or private golf course, but what defines "minature," when referring to golf courses?

Somewhere up there in regulation land, I think there was a distance requirement that it couldn't be within 400 feet of the curb, whether this applies to this park or not, I have no idea. I would not classify it as "Miniature Golf" anyway. The WaterSound Puttering Park is within an interior block of the resort with several streets and houses between it and 30A. I haven't measured.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm not SB, but I know lots of young year round families that would love a community pool; and the former Nature Walk area would be perfect for a community center and pool...and one could probably even "hide" a putt putt course back there...and make it fit the natural look of the area...it could be done with taste.

I can't remember them all right now, but it includes a community pool w/ a swim/dive team, community college branch w/ classes geared towards older folks (basic car repair, languages etc.), public tennis & basketball courts, free health clinic, 20+ vendor farmer's market, and a movie theatre.

Some of which are already in the works. :wave:

I agree with you two- I am more concerned with getting "real community" stuff like the pool, tennis courts, performing arts facility, more and improved football, soccer, and baseball fields, a movie theater that shows movies other than blockbusters (let that stay in Destin and PCB), improved public marina facilities that could be the home of sailing and paddling clubs...I don't think the majority of SoWal tourists come here jonesing for putt putt.:roll:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree with you. Putt-putt is not very high on anyone's list as far as I know...but, if that was the price of getting a community center for all those other things, then it could be done tastefully, and I could live with that...

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
I agree with you two- I am more concerned with getting "real community" stuff like the pool, tennis courts, performing arts facility, more and improved football, soccer, and baseball fields, a movie theater that shows movies other than blockbusters (let that stay in Destin and PCB), improved public marina facilities that could be the home of sailing and paddling clubs...I don't think the majority of SoWal tourists come here jonesing for putt putt.:roll:

Who comes here for football or baseball? I say put in a Goofy Golf on one of the 39 bust subdivisions that have nothing on them but sewer stubs and lets turn this place around! :lolabove:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Who comes here for football or baseball? I say put in a Goofy Golf on one of the 39 bust subdivisions that have nothing on them but sewer stubs and lets turn this place around! :lolabove:

Thinking about it, most of the infrastructure is already in place. Just cut some holes in those PVC pipes sticking up and reroute to some different locations and you are good to go. The county could do that through parks and recreation to recover the dollars they let go on the expired letters of credit.

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Thinking about it, most of the infrastructure is already in place. Just cut some holes in those PVC pipes sticking up and reroute to some different locations and you are good to go. The county could do that through parks and recreation to recover the dollars they let go on the expired letters of credit.

Excellent point. Cut the PVC pipes down to the ground and there you have your putting hole. Trim the weeds and now you have a green. Very simple plan. Sowal could become the future home of the "WPP" held in Vegas every year. World Professional Putters. :rotfl: I don't know maybe the clutter is better?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

I agree that anything almost would improve some of the abandoned developments...but, we need the community pool, and sports fields for the people who live here--not the tourists. You know, there are quite a lot of families who are full time residents...our children need the opportunities.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I agree that anything almost would improve some of the abandoned developments...but, we need the community pool, and sports fields for the people who live here--not the tourists. You know, there are quite a lot of families who are full time residents...our children need the opportunities.

My cousin just sent me pictures of her kids in their "outfits" for their free trial swim lesson at the local Rec Center. They're 7 or 8 months old I think.

She basically lives in the cold weather Sowal. It's an area where seasonal tourism is the main employer, it was an undiscovered sleepy area until it exploded in the last 10-15 years, where many people have second homes, where the workforce is being priced out of the housing market and commutes long distances to work, and where infrastructure and amenities are slowly being added after years of driving long distances for items easily found in a city.

The difference is that she is taking her kids to a free swim lesson at the local community center (where she also works out), can go play tennis or basketball in the park, has co-workers who live in affordable housing, the free local paper is published daily, and anyone can ride a free bus and get around town.