• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I sold out...I did. The real estate office was mine and in my family before that and Cube McGee Jr was my mother's business partner. The day of closing, I got big bucks, but I was sad, upset actually and it was noticed and commented on at the closing table and it was said I should be happy. Nothing can replace my memories or the feeling I had of selling out. That said, the parking was becoming a major problem, especially after the bike path was put in. Other zoning reasons as well. I was the hold out, and decided to sell. The area has grown so much. At the stop sign, it was impossible to get in or out of the parking lot and that is a big concern for any business. With the growth we experienced, it was time to move. The area has grown too much to hold on to the mom and pop experience. I miss it, but it is what it is.

It will be a major shock for a while as Veridian is being built, but I am confident the builders/investors have the best intentions in mind. Believe me, for what they spent, THEY DO!!

Over 20 years ago, the trees were cleared for the Seafood Market, (now George's at Alys Beach), and the same thing was being said about destroying trees. Then the brick thing was built, more trees gone. I don't like it, but it can be done because there is no zoning to stop it. I hear a lot of complaining and little "doing". Get busy and call planning and zoning...do something about what is left. It's easy to biotch, but harder to make a difference. Get off of your computer anf just do it. Where is the NIKE icon...?

Wavewatcher

Beach Lover
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I rode by and saw those beautiful trees uprooted and laying there after all of these years. It made me really sad for them and the area of Seagrove that hardly has its namesake evident. Shame on those developers that didn't take into account the real beauty of the area and preserve those trees shame on me also for clearing trees (we have cleared our lot to build a house is there a difference between scrub, water oak, pine etc?) Maybe we should have all just kept to ourselves in the woods. We all are part of the problem and hopefully part of the solution. Kurt is right, all things must come to an end. What happened to the trees?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I sold out...I did. The real estate office was mine and in my family before that and Cube McGee Jr was my mother's business partner. The day of closing, I got big bucks, but I was sad, upset actually and it was noticed and commented on at the closing table and it was said I should be happy. Nothing can replace my memories or the feeling I had of selling out. That said, the parking was becoming a major problem, especially after the bike path was put in. Other zoning reasons as well. I was the hold out, and decided to sell. The area has grown so much. At the stop sign, it was impossible to get in or out of the parking lot and that is a big concern for any business. With the growth we experienced, it was time to move. The area has grown too much to hold on to the mom and pop experience. I miss it, but it is what it is.

It will be a major shock for a while as Veridian is being built, but I am confident the builders/investors have the best intentions in mind. Believe me, for what they spent, THEY DO!!

Over 20 years ago, the trees were cleared for the Seafood Market, (now George's at Alys Beach), and the same thing was being said about destroying trees. Then the brick thing was built, more trees gone. I don't like it, but it can be done because there is no zoning to stop it. I hear a lot of complaining and little "doing". Get busy and call planning and zoning...do something about what is left. It's easy to biotch, but harder to make a difference. Get off of your computer anf just do it. Where is the NIKE icon...?

So, what do we need to do to get a tree ordinance established? I am so frustrated with the county officials especially the planning office -- I am not sure where to turn.

Who do we work with? It is hard enough to get anyone to even answer the phone or respond to an email. I spent most of yesterday waiting for a return phone call that I made at 8:30, simply asking for the status of a project...and when the return call came, there was no one in the County office who had any information about the project.:bang:

Meetings are so disturbing (think Driftwood & flooding or the traffic lights not being installed at the intersections of 395 and 283...no turn lane from Highway 98 to Sugar Drive..)I just know another person is going to get killed there, especially now that there is increased traffic due to the opening of Louis Louis...yet, when everyday citizens ask for help from the county officials the request is met with bureaucratic stonewalling (think volunteer help to keep the library open).

We have empty strip malls, half-finished housing developments; housing areas that are standing vacant or the prices have dropped so that people are walking away...and the county continues to permit projects--with no plan for development of the area. Cypress swamps are bulldozed over, wetlands are built upon; big blue signs are installed; a sidewalk is built next to a four-laned Highway 331; trees are cut...and now, the very essence of our existence is being threatened: drilling for oil 3 miles off the coast!

Other places I have lived the local officials seemed even more involved with the overall enhancement than the citizens did, and when a citizen wanted to work with them; there was a genuine cooperation--not always agreement, for sure, but there was a common interest: making the community the very best it could be for present-day citizens and for generations to come.

In the 10 years since I moved back to Walton County, I have yet to find that attitude. I worked for months with many other citizens several years ago on a Vision Plan.,..what happened to that data? All those hours were volunteered to have a plan that would make our community an even better place to live...yet, nothing happened.

I am willing to work and volunteer my time, but at this point, I don't know what to do--or where to turn for leadership and accountability.

I am willing to do something, but I don't know where to turn.

Last edited:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Very large trees can be moved, but it is extremely expensive to do so. I have seen a 55-foot-tall live oak weighing in at nearly 85 tons moved and replanted and it did great.

As to codes for saving the trees, I would look to areas that do this. Hilton Head Island is one, their building codes are some of the strickest in the country.

They are a perfect example of allowing progress and yet preserving the natural beauty of the island.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
So, what do we need to do to get a tree ordinance established? I am so frustrated with the county officials especially the planning office -- I am not sure where to turn.

Who do we work with? It is hard enough to get anyone to even answer the phone or respond to an email. I spent most of yesterday waiting for a return phone call that I made at 8:30, simply asking for the status of a project...and when the return call came, there was no one in the County office who had any information about the project.:bang:

Meetings are so disturbing (think Driftwood & flooding or the traffic lights not being installed at the intersections of 395 and 283...no turn lane from Highway 98 to Sugar Drive..)I just know another person is going to get killed there, especially now that there is increased traffic due to the opening of Louis Louis...yet, when everyday citizens ask for help from the county officials the request is met with bureaucratic stonewalling (think volunteer help to keep the library open).

We have empty strip malls, half-finished housing developments; housing areas that are standing vacant or the prices have dropped so that people are walking away...and the county continues to permit projects--with no plan for development of the area. Cypress swamps are bulldozed over, wetlands are built upon; big blue signs are installed; a sidewalk is built next to a four-laned Highway 331; trees are cut...and now, the very essence of our existence is being threatened: drilling for oil 3 miles off the coast!

Other places I have lived the local officials seemed even more involved with the overall enhancement than the citizens did, and when a citizen wanted to work with them; there was a genuine cooperation--not always agreement, for sure, but there was a common interest: making the community the very best it could be for present-day citizens and for generations to come.

In the 10 years since I moved back to Walton County, I have yet to find that attitude. I worked for months with many other citizens several years ago on a Vision Plan.,..what happened to that data? All those hours were volunteered to have a plan that would make our community an even better place to year...yet, nothing happened.

I am willing to work and volunteer my time, but at this point, I don't know what to do--or where to turn for leadership and accountability.

I am willing to do something, but I don't know where to turn.

Goodwitch...we need you in the county office. Will you be our next commissioner?:clap: Seriously...

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Goodwitch, we have experienced some of the same problems in Pt. Washington and have been working with the county planning and zoning for at least 4 years with little progress, actually we went backwards. It is frustrsting. Even worse is when you have to camp out at the new commissioners office to be heard. She will not return phone calls or emails. Our community is divided into two districts with hwy 395 N being the divider, so we have two commissioners. One is very helpful and behind us and the other is missing...

Add to this mix the shake up of planning and zoning and the new staff, although very nice, they have no clue and are disorganized.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will be able to accomplish something this year as a Historical Association and preserve and protect our unique and beautiful community. Seagrove needs a group to love it, as we love Pt. Washington. I hope someone steps up to the plate.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Walton County, FL - Home Page - Planning Commission

Info on the Walton County Planning Commission with names of the members and phone number. Maybe if the Commission gets enough calls and letters they will start to listen. GoodWitch can't be the only one making inquiries or more trees will be cut down right under our very noses. If you care, call and write. As many times as necessary.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Goodwitch, we have experienced some of the same problems in Pt. Washington and have been working with the county planning and zoning for at least 4 years with little progress, actually we went backwards. It is frustrsting. Even worse is when you have to camp out at the new commissioners office to be heard. She will not return phone calls or emails. Our community is divided into two districts with hwy 395 N being the divider, so we have two commissioners. One is very helpful and behind us and the other is missing...

Add to this mix the shake up of planning and zoning and the new staff, although very nice, they have no clue and are disorganized.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will be able to accomplish something this year as a Historical Association and preserve and protect our unique and beautiful community. Seagrove needs a group to love it, as we love Pt. Washington. I hope someone steps up to the plate.

We have to have lunch or dinner...give me a call.